[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Golf equipment advice

Jimmy Neutron

I've got the bug to upgrade at the wife's suggestion. :wacko:

I have no particular budget in mind, but want a quality set of clubs that will help me play better. I did not believe clubs could help you actually play better until I played with a set of Taylormade RACs a few years ago. They were way more forgiving and controllable than my knock off Ping Eye 2s.

I'm thinking steel shafts - I swing big - a habit I've never been able to break. Do graphite shafts have anything to offer a guy that comes out of his shoes after a swing?

Thinking Taylormade R7s - perhaps the "draw" model. My golf skills are not to the point I can reliably shape shots - would a club like this help?

Will also be getting new wedges - would appreciate advice there too. I'm kind of a wedge freak - usually carry 4 in the bag.

I'm happy with my driver and hybrid - no changes with the big sticks.

TIA

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking steel shafts - I swing big - a habit I've never been able to break. Do graphite shafts have anything to offer a guy that comes out of his shoes after a swing?

If you swing hard, you probably want to stick with steel. Graphite can be a little more "whippy" . The harder you swing the stiffer the shaft you should have. Too much flex can make it hard to hit the ball straight. But even then you can get varying stiffness in steel or graphite.

Bottom line, get your swing speed tested so you can then match that up with the correct shaft. This should be the #1 rule when buying golf clubs. Doesn't cost anything and only takes a few minutes. The right shaft will make all the difference.

I have a "draw" Ping. If you fight a fade/slice, a draw bias in a driver can help straighten that out some.

Have fun!

I have no particular budget in mind, but want a quality set of clubs that will help me play better. I did not believe clubs could help you actually play better until I played with a set of Taylormade RACs a few years ago. They were way more forgiving and controllable than my knock off Ping Eye 2s.

Thinking Taylormade R7s - perhaps the "draw" model. My golf skills are not to the point I can reliably shape shots - would a club like this help?

Will also be getting new wedges - would appreciate advice there too. I'm kind of a wedge freak - usually carry 4 in the bag.

I'm happy with my driver and hybrid - no changes with the big sticks.

TIA

If you swing fast, don't get graphite shafts, the whip will drive you nuts until you either a] Slow down your swing or b] buy new shafts.

I won't comment on draw models as I do not use any clubs of the sort. Always been a King Cobra fan and I like my FPs just fine.

Game Improvement Irons Super Game Improvement Irons Player Irons

As for wedges, I'm a Cleveland man; CG models to be specific. Just try them, I promise you will enjoy the feel. I used to play with an Alien wedge but converted a few years ago.

Wedges

TIA

Just bought a new Titleist Vokey - 52 degree. Was trying to find a club to fill the gap between about 65 yds to 100. AWESOME club. They're not cheap but IMO worth the money. I'll be buying another probly in 56 degree soon ( I hope).

If you get the chance to demo some clubs outside, that'd be the way to go IMO.

ETA-- if you like Hyrbrids give Adams a look. I bought the Idea A2's a few years ago and like them alot. The 3 and 4 irons arreplaced by Hybrids in the set. Very affordable to if you buy last year's.

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys

BB's correct on the importance of taking a speed swing test before buying new clubs and yes, stay away from graphite if you have an above normal swing speed. These tests will also identify your natural ball flight, ball spin, etc. - this can make a difference in the loft you choose especially if you are choosing between a 8.5, 9.5 and 10.5 degree driver. As far as the "draw" models, I have never used them as I hit a natural draw. (Not that my ball ALWAYS draw :wacko: ) IMO, I would stay away from these "gimmick" clubs.

I can attest to the greatness of the Vokey wedges as I have a 56 and 60 degree in my bag and love them. I am going to add a 52 degree wedge soon as I am constantly struggling with club selection when I'm between my 56 and my wedge (100-130)

I play the Titleist DCI 762's and really like them. This model is about 4 years old and I really like the feel of these iron's.

My newest "baby" in my bag is the Odyssey Sabertooth putter. I played my second round with this putter today and I have never had a putter that I felt more confident over the ball with. Perfectly weighted and balanced. Honestly the hole looks like a basketball hoop when I'm putting with this thing. I don't normally recommend putters as they are such a personal feel thing but if you can get by the different look of the Sabertooth it is a putter that everyone should consider to have in their bag.

Whatever you end up buying make sure that you get the swing tests done and get them properly fitted. Good luck!

Edited by theprofessor

I just used to use my pitching wedge around the green until my buddy gave me his hand me down Cleveland 56 and 60 degree wedges. I'm still getting used to my distances with them, but so far there is already a noticible difference around the greens. For the most part, I don't have to guess about a half or 3/4 swing, that sort of stuff. I do feel that you have to be comfortable with the equipment though, so unless you need a specific alloy or shaft, go with what feels the best to you.

been in the biz for quite a few years. best advice? Go to a pro, get swing tested(pref. video), take his advice as to what you need after you both see your swing in action. If they are sponsered or affiliated with a particular brand they may steer you that way(though if they are worth a dime they will be honest and know about all products). Make it so you can hit a LOT of balls before buying and hopefully a round or two, as most decent training facilities and courses have a few different demo sets. Shafts are so key now. Taylormades adjustable system seem to be the most popular woods out where I work.

All that being said, if the club feels good in your hands and you hit decent to good shots with it right away you are over 70% there as golf is 90% the muscle between your ears. If you are going to spend over $300- $400 for a set it would be dumb not to get checked and fitted.

Wedges? crappy shoes from spammers's seem too heavy, Taylormade's are nice but pretty unforgiving, give me some old Armours, Clevelands or Callaways. Feel good and are forgiving as all get out.

Edited by Hugh B Tool

Yep, been selling golf clubs for years now. Get fitted first. Always. End of story. You don't need to pay for video or a launch monitor, just make sure it seems like you have a competent fitter (most are).

I would probably recommend steel shafts in your case. They'll go straighter if you are strong enough to swing them, which it sounds like you are. Second, don't play Titleist. Period. Maybe their wedges. I prefer Cleveland, but the Vokeys and Mizunos are close. Titleist clubs do not have the technology to help most of us mid-to-high handicappers.

I played the r7 clubs for about a year. Very solid. I'm a taylor made whore myself. The draw model would be a very good fit if you push/fade/slice the ball a bit, and especially at the prices they are going for nowadays! Not to pimp my site, well maybe a little, but golfdiscount.com typically has very good prices.

You're in the right place though. Last year's equipment is always a much better deal than the latest and greatest, and there really aren't many differences. The only thing I might recommend is to look for a good set that include hybrid clubs instead of the 3,4 irons. For most people, these hybrid clubs are changing lives. Take that 3-iron out of the bag!! Always feel free to send me a pm if you have any questions, or you can even call me at work. 1-888-394-GOLF.

I played the r7 clubs for about a year. Very solid. I'm a taylor made whore myself. The draw model would be a very good fit if you push/fade/slice the ball a bit, and especially at the prices they are going for nowadays!

+1

I have a set of these and they have been far and away the most accurate and forgiving irons I have ever used.

Second, don't play Titleist. Period. Maybe their wedges. I prefer Cleveland, but the Vokeys and Mizunos are close. Titleist clubs do not have the technology to help most of us mid-to-high handicappers.

The new Titleist AP irons are very forgiving. I think the AP2 are designed for mid to high handicaps.

Thanks for all the advice - it is mucho appreciated.

Nick - I'll let that single digit handicap rumor stand. :D Really, it's closer to 20. :wacko: I've played a few excellent (for me) rounds under 80, but I more often break 90. :D I specialize in looking like 2 different golfers in the same round. I can play a string of 4-5 holes under par and easily triple bogey the next three. :D

I need to try the Cleveland wedges, I've heard nothing but good about them. On that note - what the hell is an "AW?" Lots of newer iron sets have this wedge included and I'v never heard of it.

I have been fitted in the past and a standard length set is about perfect. I'm a little taller than average, but have monkey arms that put me back at needing shorter clubs than my height would indicate. I probably willl have my swing speed checked again.

Nick - I'll let that single digit handicap rumor stand. :D Really, it's closer to 20. :wacko: I've played a few excellent (for me) rounds under 80, but I more often break 90. :D I specialize in looking like 2 different golfers in the same round. I can play a string of 4-5 holes under par and easily triple bogey the next three. :D

I need to try the Cleveland wedges, I've heard nothing but good about them. On that note - what the hell is an "AW?" Lots of newer iron sets have this wedge included and I'v never heard of it.

I have been fitted in the past and a standard length set is about perfect. I'm a little taller than average, but have monkey arms that put me back at needing shorter clubs than my height would indicate. I probably willl have my swing speed checked again.

I imagine getting fit with the right set will help :D

You can look online for Callaway and Taylor Made fitting centers. From what I understand it is well worth the $$. My next set of clubs will come from that kind of situation.

You've seen this AW on Taylormades right?-or maybe others are using it too. It means "attack wedge" and I believe it's the same as a gap wedge.

Something else to consider, and I think it has been mentioned, but look at last years clubs. You can get great deals on last years irons and drivers. I know some on this board are big on TaylorMade Drivers, and they are top notch, but you can get smokin hot deals on their R7 Limited which was their HOT driver three months ago...My point being, don't pay the big bucks for this years stuff, get fit, and buy last years equipment...

Drunk post done....

Edited by KICK A$$ BLASTER

Something else to consider, and I think it has been mentioned, but look at last years clubs. You can get great deals on last years irons and drivers. I know some on this board are big on TaylorMade Drivers, and they are top notch, but you can get smokin hot deals on their R7 Limited which was their HOT driver three months ago...My point being, don't pay the big bucks for this years stuff, get fit, and buy last years equipment...

Drunk post done....

Yeah, this approach is right down my alley. I want some quality sticks, but I'm no club snob. Last years model will work fine for me.

My driver is a knock off R5 and I love it, but I may upgrade to the genuine R7 if I find the right deal - it would be fun to play with the perimeter weights to see what that does.

I imagine getting fit with the right set will help :D

You can look online for Callaway and Taylor Made fitting centers. From what I understand it is well worth the $$. My next set of clubs will come from that kind of situation.

Until last year I had been playing the same King Cobra irons for 15+ years. When I had bought those new was the first time I had my swing speed checked. I had been playing steel shafts with stiff flex. My swing speed indicated I should be playing a regular flex. Added 10-12 yards to all my irons without losing any accuracy. But that's all I did as far as getting properly fitted.

Last summer I bought some new Ping G10's :wacko: After I decided on the brand I wanted, the Pro I was buying from spent an hour having me hit balls with several different irons. He'd put some tape on the face and sole and have me hit 5 balls. He wouldn't say much, he'd look over the strike marks and then hand me another club taped up and hit another 5 balls. After 3 sets of doing that he says "you hit the ball out on the toe of the club alot don't you? " He was right I did. He went thru some more reps with different clubs before settling on one, and when hitting that one, I could tell right away I wasn't hitting out on the toe anymore. Before we got to that club, I'd say every 3rd shot I was toeing. Once he got me set up with the proper lie angle, he ordered up the clubs from Ping. I now rarely, if ever, hit the ball out on the toe with my irons.

So, while I'd say getting the proper swing speed is the most important part of getting the right clubs, you can see there are other smaller things that can be off that make subtle little differences in how you are able to hit the ball.

Edited by BillyBalata

As for anyone who thinks one brand is crap over another, I don't buy that at all either. No one swings the same. What works for one person may not work for another. Like I mentioned in my previous post, I loved my King Cobra irons. So when I decided to get new irons last year, my first tought was to get the new Cobra S9's. My guy sent me out with a demo Cobra and the Ping G10 as well. I went out on the course and dropped down some balls, totally expecting to love the Cobras. Turned out I couldn't hit a green with them and every ball I hit with the G10 was on the green. Didn't take me long to change my mind. :D

But if you ask me, I'll tell you the Ping G10s are the best thing made! :wacko: