[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Outer Banks Vacation

FWmaker

You will have different experiences depending on whether you go north or south. Up north, you'll more than likely need a 4-wheel drive vehicle because you'll need to drive on the beach to get to the house. The upside is that it's less crowded and I know there used to be wild horses that roamed the area. It's pretty cool to wake up and watch the sunrise and then see twenty odd horses go running by. Towards the south it's more commercialized with plenty of things to do as a non-beach day. I believe the Kitty Hawk Dunes are in the south as well. I used to go every summer for close to ten years and haven't gone in some time. I am jealous...have a blast.

We're actually taking the family there instead of having them come to our place this year. :wacko:

Based on recommendations from several people I know that own rentals in the area, we've chosen to use Sun Realty as the group to rent from. We're going to be in the Kitty Hawk area this year. One thing you may want to think about is that going there after Labor Day can save some scratch and some piece of mind. There are a LOT less people there then and the water is still warm with weather that isn't brutally hot. The window for a renting a lot of places during the high season may have already closed as well.

You will have different experiences depending on whether you go north or south. Up north, you'll more than likely need a 4-wheel drive vehicle because you'll need to drive on the beach to get to the house. The upside is that it's less crowded and I know there used to be wild horses that roamed the area. It's pretty cool to wake up and watch the sunrise and then see twenty odd horses go running by. Towards the south it's more commercialized with plenty of things to do as a non-beach day. I believe the Kitty Hawk Dunes are in the south as well. I used to go every summer for close to ten years and haven't gone in some time.

That's pretty obvious from your post. :wacko: The "north" is just as built up as the "south" is now, very few beach houses require 4-wheel drive, and while you might get lucky don't hold your breath about seeing any wild horses.

Basically it's all much more built up/commercialized now and so IMO not nearly as appealing as it used to be. Not saying it's bad or you won't have fun, I just prefer places more laid back and off the beaten path. It's lost that.

Last but not least: do NOT use Stan White Realty. You've been warned.

With the economy creating havoc for home owners, you may be able to get a steal this year more than ever.

For the last 9 years, we have gotten tremndous value by waiting until a week or two before our desired vacation, then scouring the realtor websites for unrented homes. Often, once you find a place you like, you can call the realtor, and let them know that you want to offer a lowball price for their beautiful beachfront house. Here's how my conversations usually go:

Me: "Hi, I'm interested in the home on Beachfront Drive for next week. I'd like you to call the owner and let him know you have someone who is willing to rent the home for $1,200.

realtor: I'm sorry sir, but the price for that unit is $2,500.

Me: "Yes, I know, but knowing that it is only a week away, the owner might want to accept a lower bid to get something for his house, rather than let it go unrented and get nothing. At this point, just a week away, there is very little chance it is going to be rented...most families book their vacations months in advance, so if their place is still available, chances are its going to sit empty. Besides, as his agent, its your duty to let him know he has a potential renter. I can always find out thru the local tax office who owns the house, and call them myself, if you don't want the commission."

Realtor: "Ok, I'll let them them know, but I doubt they accept your offer"

10 minutes later, phone rings...""Sir, if you committ immediately, they will accept your offer".

If you try this 5 times, I guarantee you get someone desperate who is willing to take your offer. The last thing an investor wants to do is pay their mortgage out of their pocket.

It has worked for us 9 straight years. We end up with a magnificent home for 40-60 cents on the dollar.

With the economy creating havoc for home owners, you may be able to get a steal this year more than ever.

For the last 9 years, we have gotten tremndous value by waiting until a week or two before our desired vacation, then scouring the realtor websites for unrented homes. Often, once you find a place you like, you can call the realtor, and let them know that you want to offer a lowball price for their beautiful beachfront house. Here's how my conversations usually go:

Me: "Hi, I'm interested in the home on Beachfront Drive for next week. I'd like you to call the owner and let him know you have someone who is willing to rent the home for $1,200.

realtor: I'm sorry sir, but the price for that unit is $2,500.

Me: "Yes, I know, but knowing that it is only a week away, the owner might want to accept a lower bid to get something for his house, rather than let it go unrented and get nothing. At this point, just a week away, there is very little chance it is going to be rented...most families book their vacations months in advance, so if their place is still available, chances are its going to sit empty. Besides, as his agent, its your duty to let him know he has a potential renter. I can always find out thru the local tax office who owns the house, and call them myself, if you don't want the commission."

Realtor: "Ok, I'll let them them know, but I doubt they accept your offer"

10 minutes later, phone rings...""Sir, if you committ immediately, they will accept your offer".

If you try this 5 times, I guarantee you get someone desperate who is willing to take your offer. The last thing an investor wants to do is pay their mortgage out of their pocket.

It has worked for us 9 straight years. We end up with a magnificent home for 40-60 cents on the dollar.

I just did a copy/paste on this script and put it into a word doc.

Brilliant. :wacko:

Went there 2 yrs ago and rented from SUN Realty. We stayed in a condo but can't remember what the area was called. I do rmember a fishing pier was within walking distance but I am sure there are a lot of them around. It was away from most of the commercial stuff though, heading towards Hatteras. I like that area because it is more secluded but still plenty to do and a short distance to everything.

I just did a copy/paste on this script and put it into a word doc.

Brilliant. :wacko:

It really is amazing how it can be a win/win...while it seems like a low-ball offer, beleive me, the owner is thrilled to be getting something for a week they had, at this point, already written off as a loss....but many people who don't think to employ this stategy end up paying retail.

Though we are 9-for-9 using this strategy, the worst-case scenario is you end up paying the asking price, which is what you would have paid had you booked well in advance. I imagine the only downside for some people is that you just have to be able to stomach the idea that you are not booked up until a week out. My wife always freaks out and calls me cheap as we are getting closer and closer to our vacation and we are not "firmed-up"...but in the end, she likes getting to eat like a queen for the week on, essentially, the money we saved.

If you're driving out there take as much food and drink with you as you can. The local groceries can get a bit expensive and limited depending on where you're staying. It's better to do a large trip to Costco and take a cooler with all your steaks / dogs/ burger for the week, and then hit a local market for your seafood.

:wacko: Keggerz used to live there.

We always stayed in Duck when we went and depending on when you go you can get mucho casa for little dinero.Corolla is another nice place to stay as well. Here is a link to the place we always use for renting.

fwiw, I have been gone for almost 5 years now (man can time fly)....I am sure that MUCH has changed....with that said when you say "Family"

I have to ask how old your kids are....because while Corolla and Duck are nice they don't offer much if anything in the way for kids....Nags Head and Kitty Hawk would be better suited for "younger" kids if you are looking for things to do (mini golf etc)...I golfed at The Currituck Club which was very nice (pricey too) and there is a SPA(Sanderling) very close that you could drop the wife off at while you golf...

here is a link with the golf courses in the area http://www.visitob.com/outer_banks/todo/golf_map.htm (kilmarlic is supposed to be nice but I never got a chance to go there)

oh and as far as realors down there outside of the ones already mentioned you can try Resort Quest too http://www.resortquestouterbanks.com/

Edited by keggerz

If you're driving out there take as much food and drink with you as you can. The local groceries can get a bit expensive and limited depending on where you're staying. It's better to do a large trip to Costco and take a cooler with all your steaks / dogs/ burger for the week, and then hit a local market for your seafood.

a big +1

Tommy's Market in Duck has some really nice stuff but they are NOT cheap...oh and they have a really good Cajun Crab DIp...at least that is how they tag it on top....turn it over and you will see it is Cajun Krab Dip....not cool but still very good for being made with fake crap

Swammi is right on, and he's in the hospitality biz (as am I). They want heads in the beds, and all you're doing is what priceline does anyway. In fact, I'd probably offer less than 1/2 with the markets being what they are right now. On a $2500 place I'd start at $800 and see where it goes. Whaddaya got to lose?`

I've only been OBX once, on Oak Island. It was during August and the oldest got to see the Sea Turtles hatch, which next to swimming with the dolphins is probably her best memory EVAH. Great little place.

Oh, and swampnuts is right about the food.

I'll do it for a small fee.

I'll call you at the last minute so you'll do it for 60% off.

Though we are 9-for-9 using this strategy, the worst-case scenario is you end up paying the asking price, which is what you would have paid had you booked well in advance.

Well you're ignoring the other downside ie having less to choose from...but you should still have enough choices that it's probably not going to impact you too much.

If you're driving out there take as much food and drink with you as you can. The local groceries can get a bit expensive and limited depending on where you're staying.

? There are several regular ol grocery stores there and the prices are pretty average. Certainly costco is better for mass quantities overall, but not everyone is going with 5 kids in tow and needing or wanting tons of food.

PS if you're into getting a bunch of crabs to take back and crack open, I recommend "Dirty Dicks" (here come the jokes :wacko: ).

? There are several regular ol grocery stores there and the prices are pretty average. Certainly costco is better for mass quantities overall, but not everyone is going with 5 kids in tow and needing or wanting tons of food.

depending on where you are getting to one of those Food Lions could be an hour round trip due to the amount of traffic(of course depends on when you go)...also a Harris Teeter opened a year or so ago between Duck and Corolla so that helps for those parts

Edited by keggerz