[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Memorial Day

wiegie

"Not only are they commemorated by columns and inscriptions, but there dwells also an unwritten memorial of them, graven not on stone but in the hearts of men."

--Athenian leader Pericles in tribute to the fallen heroes of the Peloponnesian War

In memory of my great-uncle Oliver Weissert, who was killed just outside of Granterath, Germany in the weeks following the Battle of the Bulge.

May I be worthy of your sacrifice.

:wacko:

+1 My grandfather was one of my true heroes. I remember him telling us stories when we were kids of what it was like to walk through one of the concentration camps, after the Jewish people and other prisoners had been liberated... I was young, and it didn't mean as much to me then as it would now. I also remember countless trips with him, my grandmother, and my parents/brothers to various cemeteries on Memorial Day and Veterans Day. During some of the first trips that I remember, my brothers and I would be bored out of our minds, having no idea how much those visits meant to him. I would love to be able to sit down and talk with him about it all today.

My grandpa and both of his brothers enlisted the day after the Pearl Harbor attacks, if I remember correctly... one brother went into the Air Force, one was in the Navy, and my grandpa in the Army. The brother who went into the Navy is still alive today, living well into his 80's. My wife has always said that he and his wife are two of the nicest members of my family that she's ever met. All three brothers came home and lived another 50 years, give or take, but my grandpa endured, for the rest of his life, several medical conditions that he inherited from the war. Not the least of those conditions was the fact that my grandmother said he never really got a good night's sleep after returning from the war... at least not one that wasn't interrupted by a nightmare or two, or waking up in a cold sweat at 3:00 in the morning. I just realized today, thinking about him, that he's a big reason why movies/series like Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers mean so much to me... not because they're "war" stories, but because I know that my grandfather was there, serving our country for such a noble cause.

Thanks dad and all who serve(d).

You're welcome, although on this holiday, IMO most of the thanks should go to those who saw combat, esp those who lost their lives.

To them there is no thank you big enough but thank you anyway.