[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hot Dog Paradise

Clubfoothead

Great show, there must be more than one episode because they didn't have the one in Hawaii (Kona Dog, I think). No great hot dogs in Dallas. Angry Dog used to be the best but the've got a new hot dog I don't care for. :D

I've never eaten at any of them. That needs to change. Anybody eaten any of them? They all look great. I'll rank them as follows:

1. Hot Doug's - Chicago

2. Pink's - Los Angeles

3. Jimmy Buff's - Newark

3. Superdawg - Chicago

3. The Varsity - Atlanta

4. Nathan's - Bump down because they stopped selling the Nathan's Cheese Dogs at Kroger which was the only place in Dallas that had them.

5. Franktitude - Miami (I'd have to get it to go but they look good)

Be good today and remember what it's about.

Peace.

:wacko:

Great show, there must be more than one episode because they didn't have the one in Hawaii (Kona Dog, I think). No great hot dogs in Dallas. Angry Dog used to be the best but the've got a new hot dog I don't care for. :D

I've never eaten at any of them. That needs to change. Anybody eaten any of them? They all look great. I'll rank them as follows:

1. Hot Doug's - Chicago

2. Pink's - Los Angeles

3. Jimmy Buff's - Newark

3. Superdawg - Chicago

3. The Varsity - Atlanta

4. Nathan's - Bump down because they stopped selling the Nathan's Cheese Dogs at Kroger which was the only place in Dallas that had them.

5. Franktitude - Miami (I'd have to get it to go but they look good)

Be good today and remember what it's about.

Peace.

:wacko:

FWIW, I've been going to Hot Doug's every Saturday for the last 8 months (only missed 2 Saturdays since then). It's truly phenominal and matched by nobody. Just go to their website and check out the 'Today's Specials' section. The specialty dogs change each week and it's literally heaven in your mouth.

E2A: Hot Doug's Specialty Dogs

On Fri and Sat they serve their 'duck fat' fries which is Fries rendered in duck fat. I never go to any restaurant weekly like I do Hot Doug's, that's how good it is. Gourmet hot dougs is a genius idea and if you ever have a chance to go, I highly suggest it!!!

Edited by Brentastic

FWIW, I've been going to Hot Doug's every Saturday for the last 8 months (only missed 2 Saturdays since then). It's truly phenominal and matched by nobody. Just go to their website and check out the 'Today's Specials' section. The specialty dogs change each week and it's literally heaven in your mouth.

E2A: Hot Doug's Specialty Dogs

On Fri and Sat they serve their 'duck fat' fries which is Fries rendered in duck fat. I never go to any restaurant weekly like I do Hot Doug's, that's how good it is. Gourmet hot dougs is a genius idea and if you ever have a chance to go, I highly suggest it!!!

A list w/o Gene and Judes is not complete! No site.

I've heard of Doug's and good things about it, BUT Sauerkraut and ketchup options ain't a Chi Dog! :wacko: What brand do they use? Vienna I hope.

Gene and Judes is sooo Chicago Dog that there is no ketchup in the place! Years ago you had to go next store to the "Cock Robin" (long gone) to get ketchup, and if you order it on your dog they whole place will mock you, laugh at you, and some have been known to be violent!

A Chi Dog has (all optional):

Celery Salt (gotta do dat)

Onions (chopped) but caramelized is borderline acceptable.

Relish (The iridescent type)

Mustard (usually just the Yellow one)

Sport Peppers

Tomatoes

Cuke

Pickle

NO KETCHUP!

NO SAUERKRAUT!

I respect Nathan's. Good dog but not a CHI dog. Best's Kosher (Hebrew national) is good also. Chi dogs are unique, but don't put KETCHUP OR KRAUT on them!!!!

A list w/o Gene and Judes is not complete! No site.

I've heard of Doug's and good things about it, BUT Sauerkraut and ketchup options ain't a Chi Dog! :wacko: What brand do they use? Vienna I hope.

Gene and Judes is sooo Chicago Dog that there is no ketchup in the place! Years ago you had to go next store to the "Cock Robin" (long gone) to get ketchup, and if you order it on your dog they whole place will mock you, laugh at you, and some have been known to be violent!

A Chi Dog has (all optional):

Celery Salt (gotta do dat)

Onions (chopped) but caramelized is borderline acceptable.

Relish (The iridescent type)

Mustard (usually just the Yellow one)

Sport Peppers

Tomatoes

Cuke

Pickle

NO KETCHUP!

NO SAUERKRAUT!

I respect Nathan's. Good dog but not a CHI dog. Best's Kosher (Hebrew national) is good also. Chi dogs are unique, but don't put KETCHUP OR KRAUT on them!!!!

RR, I've heard about Gene and Judes and that it's good. But, they just have normal dogs, right? You don't go to Hot Doug's for a Chi Dog.

What separates Hot Doug's from the rest of the pack are his specialty 'gourmet' dogs. You don't go to Hot Doug's for a Chi Dog - you can get one there but that's not what he's about. It's all about the specials like the Duck Sausage with froie gras or the Bacon sausage with avocado mayonaise and cherry tomatoes or the blue chese pork sausage with St Pete's pear sauce and chopped walnuts etc... The gourmet dogs is where it's at, in fact, if you go to Hot Doug's and get anything but a specialty dog, then you're just wasting your time (usually about an hour and a half wait unless you get there 30 minutes before they open).

RR, I've heard about Gene and Judes and that it's good. But, they just have normal dogs, right? You don't go to Hot Doug's for a Chi Dog.

What separates Hot Doug's from the rest of the pack are his specialty 'gourmet' dogs. You don't go to Hot Doug's for a Chi Dog - you can get one there but that's not what he's about. It's all about the specials like the Duck Sausage with froie gras or the Bacon sausage with avocado mayonaise and cherry tomatoes or the blue chese pork sausage with St Pete's pear sauce and chopped walnuts etc... The gourmet dogs is where it's at, in fact, if you go to Hot Doug's and get anything but a specialty dog, then you're just wasting your time (usually about an hour and a half wait unless you get there 30 minutes before they open).

Gotcha! You're right they are totally different. I'm just hung up on the traditional Chi dog.

If you enjoy Portillo's over Hot Doug's then your palate is broke. You must not be a true lover of food to make a statement like that. :wacko:

lol.....hotdougs is just too much for me. kinda like a hot chick with too much makeup!!!

Edited by dmarc117

i've been to both chicago places. but imo, i enjoy portillo's food much better.

If you like Portillo's better you should just buy a pack of Ballpark franks at Jewel and microwave them yourself . . . .

Hot Doug's is absolutely fantastic, but too much of a hike for me on a regular basis anymore . . .

If you like Portillo's better you should just buy a pack of Ballpark franks at Jewel and microwave them yourself . . . .

Hot Doug's is absolutely fantastic, but too much of a hike for me on a regular basis anymore . . .

So BP, you from the burbs? Are you a true newbie or an alias of a former regular?

Any hot dog joint in Chicago will do, IMO. Pink's in LA is ok.

Pink's is overrated. It's a frinkin' hot dog, and that line is always an hour +.

If you want a chicago hot dog, you've just gotta steam them and the buns and have that celery salt. The toppings are easy anywhere.

So BP, you from the burbs? Are you a true newbie or an alias of a former regular?

I am a true newbie, do you guys actually have people that sign in under aliases? Life is way too short for that crap.

I was at fanball for almost 10 years (with 2v and taz) until it went to crap when the owners sold to FUN technologies. I was also on fantasysharks for awhile . . .

I live in the burbs of Chi-town now . . .

I am a true newbie, do you guys actually have people that sign in under aliases? Life is way too short for that crap.

I was at fanball for almost 10 years (with 2v and taz) until it went to crap when the owners sold to FUN technologies. I was also on fantasysharks for awhile . . .

I live in the burbs of Chi-town now . . .

Cool. I've read some of your posts and you seem to be pretty astute, so I thought you may be a regular. Anyways, welcome and it's nice to see another Hot Doug's lover. I will be there this Saturday as usual.

• 4 weeks later...
Pink's is overrated. It's a frinkin' hot dog, and that line is always an hour +.

If you want a chicago hot dog, you've just gotta steam them and the buns and have that celery salt. The toppings are easy anywhere.

Went to Pink's last week, it was over-rated but the whole ambiance was cool enough. Waited in line for 45 minutes. The choice of dogs was cool, seeing someone order a dog with bacon, pastrami, tomato, onions, and mayonnaise was picture worthy. Made a point of not ordering a Chicago dog in LA. My dog was a spicy Polish with chili and onions; the Polish dogs at Costco are tastier.

Edited by bushwacked

Today's specialty dogs at Hot Doug's:

Today: June 22, 2009

The Game of the Week

Red Bell Pepper Wild Boar Sausage with Sun-Dried Tomato Mustard and Pistachio Pecorino

$8.00

The Randy Wells (Today's Celebrity Sausage)

The Atomic Bomb Spicy Pork Sausage with Spicy Passion Fruit Mayonnaise and Smoked Gouda Cheese

$7.50

Other Specials

Blue Cheese Pork Sausage with White Peach Puree, Rum-Infused Dried Fruit and Roasted Almonds

$8.00

Spicy Italian Sausage with Pesto Genovese, Roma Tomatoes and Ricotta Salata

$7.50

Cherry Pork Sausage with Cherry-Blackberry Cream Sauce and Sartori Raspberry Cheese

$7.50

Hot Doug's BLT: Bacon Sausage with Avocado Mayonnaise, Cherry Tomatoes and Iceberg Lettuce

$8.00

Spinach and Feta Loukaniko with Skordalia, Kalamata Olives and Feta Cheese

$7.50

Smoked Crayfish and Pork Sausage with Cajun Remoulade and Goat Cheese

$8.50

Bacon and Cheddar Elk Sausage with Goose Island Honker's Ale Mustard and Serendipity Cheese

$8.00

Foie Gras and Sauternes Duck Sausage with Truffle Aioli, Foie Gras Mousse and Sel Gris

$9.00

Taco Pork Sausage with Jalapeno Mayonnaise and Habanero-Jack Cheese

$7.50

Bacon Cheeseburger Pork Sausage with Coca-Cola BBQ Sauce and Colby-Jack Cheese

$7.50

Went to Pink's last week, it was over-rated but the whole ambiance was cool enough. Waited in line for 45 minutes.

:wacko: I eat at Pink's about once a year. Occasionally you can drive by in the middle of the afternoon and find no line. When that happens I park and grab one on general principal. I'd never wait more than 10 minutes...

The spicy polish there are pretty good.

Bourdain put out a list of 13 places to eat before you die and Hot Doug's made the list, right alongside some of the top notch restaurants in the world. Good enough reason for me to give it a try next time in town.

F Bourdain, my opinion trumps his :wacko:

Seriously though, I love quality food and I'm very picky. I don't just fluff anything. Hot Doug's is probably my favorite restaurant, with Gibson's Steakhouse being a close 2nd (best lobster tail I've ever had). I go to Hot Doug's every single Saturday, you will see me in line at 9:45 sharp (they open at 10:30). If you get there anytime past 10AM, you're looking at anywhere from a 1-2 hour wait. Doug is super cool too, now that he knows me by name, he usually charges me about 70% of the actual cost. Also know that if/when you go, he only accepts cash, just cash my friend.

Next time you're in town, send me a PM and we'll hit it up together, maybe get a few beers afterwards :D