[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bay Area Huddlers

Big F'n Dave

The missus and I are gonna be in San Francisco for a few days in mid-August. Gonna want to eat, drink and play golf. Did I mention golf? Not much luck finding courses in the Bay Area, so any suggestions are welcome. :wacko:

The missus and I are gonna be in San Francisco for a few days in mid-August. Gonna want to eat, drink and play golf. Did I mention golf? Not much luck finding courses in the Bay Area, so any suggestions are welcome. :wacko:

Hey Dave,

You are more than welcome to eat and drink with the Controller family. I also live right next to a Golf course. If you don't mind golfing with someone who shoots a 140+ I'm up for that too.

Send me an email or PM.

How far from SF are you willing to go, or are you hoping to stay in that general area the whole time? What are you looking to spend? I'm pretty familiar with many of the courses in the North/East Bay... South Bay and SF, not as much (although I've played a few). I find a lot of deals through golfnow.com... It tells you what percentage you're saving off the regular rate, and is a good way to find a great deal at the last minute (you can even reserve times for the same day).

There are actually a lot of courses in the Bay area, covering a pretty wide range in terms of cost/difficulty. Depending on what you're looking for (good deals, scenic courses, unique styles, etc.), and how far you're willing to drive, I could probably give you some specific recommendations. I'll try to come up with some more specifics later, depending on what you're looking for. :wacko:

Hey Dave,

You are more than welcome to eat and drink with the Controller family. I also live right next to a Golf course. If you don't mind golfing with someone who shoots a 140+ I'm up for that too.

Send me an email or PM.

I actually just played at Monarch Bay in Oakland on Saturday, with my wife... Not a bad golf facility. Nice two-level driving range, putting and chipping greens, a 9-hole executive course and the 18-hole Tony Lema course within 200 yards of the Bay. Pretty windy (as I imagine it normally would be), but not a bad course. It's a links style, mainly, which normally tears my game apart, but it was "forgiving" enough that you could stray from the fairway (within reason) and still find your ball on most holes. Started out with an 8 and a 6 on two par-fours, then basically shot bogey golf the rest of the way (shot a 92, my wife 93). Hardly any water, not much in terms of hills, but around 90 sand traps... needless to say, I got my money's worth out of my SW that day. All in all, a decent day, and we played for only $94 for the two of us, including cart. The regular rate is like $77 per person, but I get email coupons from the Northern Cal American Golf Corporation about once a week, which was what we used Saturday.

Dave, depending on what time in August, I might be around as well. I'm always looking to play more golf, and my wife and I are in for meeting for food/drinks any time. :wacko:

dave....we should talk... pm me your phone number. brother belongs to the olympic club, father belongs to the marin country club. also what dates are you going to be out there? i will be in SF the weekend of aug 7th. happy to give you a rundown of my favorite restaurants: i'll give you a decent range of cost.

Edited by Bier Meister

Not much of a golfer, but I used to ride out here a bunch and always thought it looked pretty nice. A friend who does play likes it a lot.

Lake Chabot

Then, you're in the East Bay which is vastly underrated compared to SF in terms of Food. The China town isn't as good but the Vietnamese is much better. There's a pretty thick enclave just east of Lake Merritt. Piedmont Ave and College Ave in Oakland are some pretty cool culinary destinations in terms of upscale Cali cuisine.

I have two very dear friends who started a place called JoJo on Piedmont. He was formerly the chef at Oliveto and she was the pastry chef for Chez Panisse, two land-mark restaurants in the area.

If you're going to head to the wine country, let me know, I'll hook you up with some recs.

dave....we should talk... pm me your phone number. brother belongs to the olympic club, father belongs to the marin country club. also what dates are you going to be out there? i will be in SF the weekend of aug 7th. happy to give you a rundown of my favorite restaurants: i'll give you a decent range of cost.

You got some family with some status and some dough :wacko:

Lots of good courses from Monterey to Santa Rosa. You need to be more specific as to where you are staying, how far you want to drive, and where you plan to sight see, to narrow it down for golfing and dining. Also budget helps. There are $40 deals on some decent courses, but also spectacular courses but in the 3 figures. If the budget allows I'd suggest going to Half Moon Bay or down to Monterey. If you have two days of golf for a different feel from an ocean course, to head to the wine country.

You got some family with some status and some dough :wacko:

grew up with paul pelosi (nancy's son), jay guittard (chocolatier), the getty's, the luries (owned the sf giants at the time). neighbors are robin williams, sharon stone, larry bear, grace slick. meh on the status and dough..... it's a small city so to speak.

Thanks for all the info. After looking at some of the suggestions, I've decided I'll probably play either The Presidio or Harding Park. Both are close to where we're staying and look like nice tracks. Any others I should consider?

Thanks for all the info. After looking at some of the suggestions, I've decided I'll probably play either The Presidio or Harding Park. Both are close to where we're staying and look like nice tracks. Any others I should consider?

I've never played either, but I've heard good things about both. As I mentioned in another thread, Harding Park is the venue for this year's President's Cup in October.

harding brings back a lot of memories. i was on the crew team before i started playing lacrosse. lake merced, which harding boarders. was our "home field." only didn't place 1st in one race that year (state champs).

after your round, if you have time you might want to grab a few brews at beach chalet or just take a walk on the beach (coarse is very close to ocean beach). stop up at the cliff house to see what remains of the old sutro bath house (no not that kind) and seal rock.

Second oldest SF joke next to.....

If you drop your keys on Castro Street...............

kick them to Market Street, THEN bend over and pick them up.

• 2 months later...

Bump... BFD and I are planning on meeting for 18 holes and maybe a :wacko: afterwards here on Thursday 8/20. Probably looking at a mid/late morning tee time, so he can be back in the city by no later than 5 PM.

If anyone is interested in joining us, post here or send me a PM. Weekday rate is $85, I believe, and I may need to provide a CC to reserve. Should be fun! :D

Bump... BFD and I are planning on meeting for 18 holes and maybe a :wacko: afterwards here on Thursday 8/20. Probably looking at a mid/late morning tee time, so he can be back in the city by no later than 5 PM.

If anyone is interested in joining us, post here or send me a PM. Weekday rate is $85, I believe, and I may need to provide a CC to reserve. Should be fun! :D

Let me know what you thought of the course. I have never played there because it's carts only. I only play if I can walk. If you have the time try Poppy Ridge-a great walk and workout. That was the primary course I played when I live in Alamo.