[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wholy crap! what's this about tv's conversion to digital?!?

millerx

You should call your cable company on your rotary phone and ask them for the details. Or better yet, send a message pigeon.

Or carrier pigeon.

And the local TV stations have been harping this ad nauseum. And even with that, there will be a lot ofpanic calls when this happens.

My Mom refuses to give up her 25+ year old, 20" TV, and she won't get cable even if I pay it for her, so I just installed a converter box for her. Did the scan, her picture improved across the board, but now they are saying that after Friday Noon, she'll need to do a rescan! :wacko: No biggy as I'll go back and do it for her, but what about other senior's that don't have help? My Mom is really very sharp for 89 yo, but no way she'll ever understand the menus in order to do this. There will be a lot of these people come next weekend. I feel sorry for them.

My Mom refuses to give up her 25+ year old, 20" TV, and she won't get cable even if I pay it for her, so I just installed a converter box for her. Did the scan, her picture improved across the board, but now they are saying that after Friday Noon, she'll need to do a rescan! :wacko: No biggy as I'll go back and do it for her, but what about other senior's that don't have help? My Mom is really very sharp for 89 yo, but no way she'll ever understand the menus in order to do this. There will be a lot of these people come next weekend. I feel sorry for them.

I agree. I like the conversion to all digital but as usual with an unfunded Congressional mandate, it seems that there was no real plan for this move. There are going ot be a lot of pissed off people and I really don't blame them.

I agree. I like the conversion to all digital but as usual with an unfunded Congressional mandate, it seems that there was no real plan for this move. There are going ot be a lot of pissed off people and I really don't blame them.

It wasn't wholly unfunded. There were government coupons that could be used in conjunction with major retailers. I can sympathize with some elderly people but most that get caught in this have either been too lazy / stupid to do anything or have their head planted firmly inside their bottom.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

It wasn't wholly unfunded. There were government coupons that could be used in conjunction with major retailers. I can sympathize with some elderly people but most that get caught in this have either been too lazy / stupid to do anything or have their head planted firmly inside their bottom.

Well, you're right to a point I guess. It wasn't unfunded, just underfunded. They ran out of coupons and had to push back the date. A better question is, what exactly was accomplished by this forced conversion to all digital TV and more importantly, why was Congress involved at all?

... A better question is, what exactly was accomplished by this forced conversion ...

FWIW, from DTV.gov ... IIRC, the main reason why the government was involved has to do with the first bullet regarding broadcast frequencies:

What Is the Public Benefit of the DTV Transition? The switch to DTV will offer a host of important public benefits, to include:

• Freeing up parts of the broadcast spectrum for public safety communications (police/fire/rescue).

• Allowing some of the spectrum to be auctioned to companies that will be able to provide consumers with more advanced wireless services (such as wireless broadband).

• Allowing stations to offer improved picture and surround sound (enhanced audio).

• Expanding programming choices for viewers. For example, a broadcaster will be able to offer multiple digital programs simultaneously (multicasting).

• Providing interactive video and data services that are not possible with analog technology.

Edited by ts

FWIW, from DTV.gov ... IIRC, the main reason why the government was involved has to do with the first bullet regarding broadcast frequencies:

What Is the Public Benefit of the DTV Transition? The switch to DTV will offer a host of important public benefits, to include:

• Freeing up parts of the broadcast spectrum for public safety communications (police/fire/rescue).

• Allowing some of the spectrum to be auctioned to companies that will be able to provide consumers with more advanced wireless services (such as wireless broadband).

• Allowing stations to offer improved picture and surround sound (enhanced audio).

• Expanding programming choices for viewers. For example, a broadcaster will be able to offer multiple digital programs simultaneously (multicasting).

• Providing interactive video and data services that are not possible with analog technology.

Much more to do with bullet #2, IMO. Massive influx of cash for the gubment.

I dunno. I fall into another camp. Ya gotta make the change sometime. The rabbit ears people have had plenty, and I mean PLENTY, of time to come up with a plan B.

Well, you're right to a point I guess. It wasn't unfunded, just underfunded. They ran out of coupons and had to push back the date. A better question is, what exactly was accomplished by this forced conversion to all digital TV and more importantly, why was Congress involved at all?

Advancement in our technologies is one of the main reasons I'm for it. As has become the standard, we sit and wait for all the slower people to catch up (don't want to leave anyone behind you know)... Europe is ahead of us by years in this area and I haven't heard them complaining about their switch. And as to the second question... is it a constitutional right that every person have TV?

FWIW, of course I knew about it! I just heard YET ANOTHER STORY about how some people are not ready for the transition and decided to post it.

Much more to do with bullet #2, IMO. Massive influx of cash for the gubment.

Yeah, that technology from 1945 was holding up real well.

My buddy has the digital receiver, and he gets way more channels... in HD... and much better reception digitally. This was a smart move, as was freeing up spectrum for new wireless technologies.