[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

us open

dmarc117

I'm excited for David Duval ... any idea how much he'll get for his 2-T finish?

I looked up his earnings for the past several years ... he's only made more than $100,000 in earnings (which doesn't include his operating costs for going from tourney to tourney) once or twice since 2001 (including a low year where his earnings TOTALLED less than $10,000).

I don't know his story well; what happened to him after (essentially) being the only guy that was challenging Tiger for a period of a few years in the late 1990s and very early 2000s?

Amazing that Tiger was the only golfer to shoot in the 60's 3 outta 4 rounds---if the weather in the first round wasn't so bad, I think the scoreboard looks a lot different. Not just from him, but from the whole field.

Amazing that Tiger was the only golfer to shoot in the 60's 3 outta 4 rounds---if the weather in the first round wasn't so bad, I think the scoreboard looks a lot different. Not just from him, but from the whole field.

That's a great observation. Tiger's trend lately has been to not do well in the earlier rounds and then spend the rest of the tournament trying to catch the leaders. This tournament was no different.

The scores would have higher. The rain made the greens like dartboards.

The announcers were saying different about the weather and scores--the only reason, look at Rickey Barnes who saw Nary a raindrop and was setting records for the first 2 days. The rain coulda softened up the greens, but during the rain, it posed problems for Tiger and the rest of them who had to play in the inclement weathers.

I was really happy to see Duval in the mix. I used to be a big fan of Duval and find it hard to believe that he could have lost his swing so much. I hope he sticks around and does a little winning.

Even more impressive, his first hole today was a triple bogey 6 on par 3. :wacko:

The announcers were saying different about the weather and scores--the only reason, look at Rickey Barnes who saw Nary a raindrop and was setting records for the first 2 days. The rain coulda softened up the greens, but during the rain, it posed problems for Tiger and the rest of them who had to play in the inclement weathers.

good point. It was just odd to see iron shots sticking to the greens in a U.S. Open. Also odd not to see lighting fast greens.

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys

It depended completely on whether they were in the morning half of the field, versus the afternoon group... just take a look at the first-round scores, and you can pretty much tell which players played Thursday morning, and which ones didn't play the majority of their first round until FRIDAY morning. The guys who played Thursday morning were at a huge disadvantage... played through rain for most, if not all, of their first 18 holes. Meanwhile, the afternoon group didn't get to play the majority of their first round until Friday morning, in great weather (and rain-softened greens).

For the second round, they flip-flop the two groups, so the same group that benefited from the soft greens on Friday morning teed off again right away on Friday afternoon for their second round. Then, the Thursday morning group got screwed again due to the weather... play was postponed and they didn't play most of their round 2 until Saturday... in more rain.

Basically, the conditions which the two groups had to deal with were like night and day... players like Barnes and Glover got off to a record-setting pace due to the condition of the greens, while the other half of the field stood no chance. In fact, there were very few players from that half of the draw that ended up being a factor at the end (or even made the cut). But, that's golf... certainly no reason to take anything away from Glover, who played a great four rounds on a VERY tough course, regardless of the conditions.

I thought it was a great weekend, as far as the compelling stories within the event... Mickelson trying to win for Amy, Duval coming back to top form and major contention after seven years of struggles... went from #1 in the world to #882, Barnes showing up on the PGA radar after doing nothing since his 2002 amateur win, 50-year-old Tom Lehman having to qualify for the U.S. Open (and doing so on Monday because it means everything to him... even though he's never won, and come SO close so many times in the past), European Peter Hanson qualifying by making an ace earlier in the week, Sergio playing well and getting along much better with the NY fans than in the past, Rocco Mediate playing well at a U.S. Open (again), etc., etc., etc. Not to mention of the other great stories about qualifiers from around the country/world... like the young kid from Virginia Tech, for one.

All in all, I was glad to see Phil play well, even more happy to see Duval play well, and probably most happy to see someone other than Tiger win it. I am a Tiger fan just as much as the next person, but sometimes it's just simply nice to see a major tournament (which he was predicted to win) go in another direction, whether the conditions made it "fair" or not.