[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Johnny Jolly to go on trial this week

Randall

Jolly faces unclear future Whole story is linked here.

Trial on felony charge of drug possession awaits Packers defensive lineman

By Greg A. Bedard of the Journal Sentinel

* Codeine: Abuse abounds in Houston

Green Bay — - Not long ago, he was poised to be a success story.

From a rough neighborhood in northeast Houston, Johnny Jolly quickly went from late-round long shot to possible opening day starter as a National Football League rookie in 2006.

It signaled, strongly, that Jolly had overcome a most difficult upbringing by being paid to play a game that coaches and teammates say he loves.

But just like so many other professional athletes with back stories of overcoming adversity, Jolly's past has reached out and ensnared him in a serious legal situation that jeopardizes his burgeoning career.

This week, when Jolly is scheduled to become the first Green Bay player since 1987 to stand trial on a felony charge, his attorneys likely will argue that the sizable amount of codeine found in the defensive lineman's car was not his.

They will try to convince a jury that he was merely a victim of the company he chose to keep on the evening of July 8, 2008.

That excuse means Jolly, as far as the Packers are concerned, has no defense.

Two sources said Jolly was repeatedly told by the team to be careful about whom he associated with in Houston when he returned to his hometown.

But because of that error in judgment on the evening in question, Jolly's future with the Packers remains in doubt and, worse, he is facing possible prison time.

The Packers have long held reservations internally about Jolly, from his personal habits and sometimes questionable demeanor to his role in the recent switch to the 3-4 defense.

Jolly, a sixth-round pick out of Texas A&M in 2006, was viewed by the organization from his first day of practice as a rising star . . . if he could walk the line.

Today, as he faces a felony trial heading into the final year of his contract, Jolly's time with the Packers could be cut short.

In his first comments that even remotely touched on the case, Jolly said his future - both personally and with the team - was not weighing on him.

"Nah," the 26-year-old said during the team's minicamp. "I'm innocent."

Evidently Harris County and assistant district attorney Angela Smith disagree.

In his defense, Jolly has a clean record and there have been no plea discussions to this point. However, on Oct. 21, a grand jury, which is summoned in every Texas felony case, said the case was sufficient to go to trial.

After it was rescheduled for a third time, Jolly is set to face the charges Friday in the courtroom of Judge Mike Anderson.

Smith would not comment on the case, but according to the probable cause affidavit, these are the facts of the case:

•  On July 8, 2008, the car Jolly was driving was pulled over by officers because of an excessive level of music in a parking lot of a nightclub known for high levels of narcotics and guns.

•  A semi-automatic weapon was found on the floor in front of one passenger, Clifton Dallas, now 22. He was charged with unlawful carrying of a weapon. The charges were later dismissed.

• Josh Gordon was found on another passenger, Purvis Lee, now 23. He was arrested and later pleaded guilty to possession.

• Another passenger was released at the scene.

•  The officers found a Dr Pepper bottle in the left cup holder of the center console next to two Styrofoam cups containing soda and ice. The officers said the cups and the bottle all emitted strong odors of codeine.

•  Jolly was arrested and charged with possession of a controlled substance, penalty group 4 (200-400 grams), a second-degree felony that carries a sentence of between two and 20 years if convicted.

However, because it would be Jolly's first offense, he would be eligible for probation. If the jury recommended that he should be sentenced to 10 years or fewer and they recommended the sentence be probated, he could be placed on community supervision.

Jay Hayes, a professor of pharmacy at the University of Houston, said the amount of codeine that Jolly is alleged to have had is quite large.

"That's a couple years worth for someone that has a serious pain disorder," he said. "If you just talk about a regular dose of combination product with codeine in it, you're talking about 30 to 60 milligrams. It sounds like (the amount was) somewhere around a bottle (of codeine-based syrup).

"It's a very significant amount. No doctor would ever prescribe that much."

Between the soda and cups of ice found in the vehicle, it appeared someone in the car intended to form a popular street concoction known as Purple Drank, Lean or Sizzurp, according to Ron Peters, a professor at the University of Texas School of Public Health in Houston.

Popularized in hip-hop music, the drink is a combination of cough medicine, containing promethazine and codeine, and soda or some other beverage. The result after digestion is a feeling of euphoria and motor skill impairment.

According to a person familiar with the case, Jolly's attorneys, Morris and Brian Overstreet, have shown no interest in a plea bargain and the case likely will go to trial because of the strict personal conduct policy employed by National Football League Commissioner Roger Goodell.

Last summer, Packers linebacker Nick Barnett thought he was in the clear after he pleaded out to a minor violation after first being accused of striking a woman. But the NFL still issued a one-game suspension. Barnett later appealed and ultimately was fined one game check.

"If you're innocent, definitely take it all the way out of court," Barnett said at the time of the league's decision. "Don't try to end it and think it's going to be easy. (Don't) just try to end it fast and move on."

The source said the Overstreets think they have a strong case, and both are well-respected in Houston for their judicial skills. They did not return several messages left for them.

Under the Controlled Substances Act, the state must prove Jolly had knowledge of the drug's presence and exercised some control over it. The attorneys for both Lee and Dallas said no request has been made for their clients to testify against Jolly.

Jolly told the Journal Sentinel that he had passed all the drug tests he was required to take as part of his bond agreement, which likely will help his case.

If Jolly does not agree to a plea bargain, he will become the first Packer since cornerback Mossy Cade, who was convicted of second-degree sexual assault in 1987, to stand trial for a felony while a member of the team.

I hope Ted Thompson kicks his ass of the team. I don't care about his potential or ability. This guy is not what packers football is about. There is no defense for having 200 pounds of any drug in your car. His comments are asinine, and the guy flat out doesn't care. Packers brass told him to cut ties with the thugs he grew up with. He didn't heed the warning given, and now he absolutely deserves to have his ass thrown in jail.

I hope Ted Thompson kicks his ass of the team. I don't care about his potential or ability. This guy is not what packers football is about. There is no defense for having 200 pounds of any drug in your car. His comments are asinine, and the guy flat out doesn't care. Packers brass told him to cut ties with the thugs he grew up with. He didn't heed the warning given, and now he absolutely deserves to have his ass thrown in jail.

If they weren't his drugs does he? I'm trying to find out what he actually did. Was he the bad influence having these guys sell the drugs for him ala Michael Vick? Did he have a selling operation?

Were they his or was just a dumb ass buying them from these guys. At the very least he probably supplied the money for them.

What bothers me is the other guys in the car were cut loose. It seems the DA is trying to get Jolly and I wonder how guilty he really is.

The 200 pounds of junk was found in his car, correct? That's as guilty as they need. If he's dumb enough to have it in his car, he deserves to get popped.

I'm trying to understand who did what not blame everything on one person. Many times the driver is responsible for everything that happens in his vehicle.

I'm not looking to say Jolly is innocent or guilty. I'm trying to understand whose drugs they were. Maybe the trial will bring out the facts. Whether he's cut by the team is another matter for me.

The fact several people weren't charged seems to point to Jolly's guilt. Or maybe he was bankrolling an illegal operation like Michael Vick.

I'm trying to find out what really happened.

It was 200 GRAMS. Or about 7 oz.

right. Just got carried away. The important part is that it's a felony.

I'm trying to understand who did what not blame everything on one person. Many times the driver is responsible for everything that happens in his vehicle.

I'm not looking to say Jolly is innocent or guilty. I'm trying to understand whose drugs they were. Maybe the trial will bring out the facts. Whether he's cut by the team is another matter for me.

The fact several people weren't charged seems to point to Jolly's guilt. Or maybe he was bankrolling an illegal operation like Michael Vick.

I'm trying to find out what really happened.

If he knew it was in his car, then he's guilty.

The crime lab doesn't know how to use the new equipment? Did they contaminate the samples? This sounds like he may get off. :wacko:

HOUSTON — The drug possession case against Green Bay Packers defensive tackle Johnny Jolly was dismissed Thursday, but prosecutors expect to refile the case soon.

Jolly was arrested in Houston last July for possession of codeine and indicted for possession of a controlled substance on Oct. 1.

The dismissal hinges on Houston Police Department’s crime lab receipt of new equipment that can measure the amount of codeine in a substance, said Donna Hawkins, spokeswoman for the Harris County District Attorney’s Office.

“Lab personnel have to learn how to use the instrument and to testify about the results,” Hawkins said Thursday. “Once they receive that training, the case will be refiled.

“Hopefully that will be within the next 90 days.”

Jolly was scheduled to go to trial on the lone felony Friday and faced up to 20 years in prison if convicted. The case could have carried only a probation stint given that Jolly is a first-time offender.

I don't really understand the furor over this. 7 ounces of codeine cough syrup? I have had that prescribed to me before by my doctor for bronchitis. Not like he was slinging some crack or something...

Well it's a felony and he was dumb enough to drink a full bottle's worth in a car outside a nightclub known for trouble. Oh yea, there was an illegal gun in the car too. The dude is garbage.

Well it's a felony and he was dumb enough to drink a full bottle's worth in a car outside a nightclub known for trouble. Oh yea, there was an illegal gun in the car too. The dude is garbage.

The delays and now this seem to point to the DA wanting a plea bargain because he doesn't think he can prove the case.

The delays and now this seem to point to the DA wanting a plea bargain because he doesn't think he can prove the case.

Another tough call for the commish. When players get off or are yet to be found guilty, it's not as cut and dried for him to rule on suspensions.

Another tough call for the commish. When players get off or are yet to be found guilty, it's not as cut and dried for him to rule on suspensions.

The team did warn him repeatedly about these guys so I wouldn't mind the team cutting him or a suspension. Call it a dumbass suspension. :wacko:

I was trying to figure out if they were his drugs and who's gun that was. Was it the passengers or did they move it when the cops showed up. Some of the charges being dropped could have meant they were testifying against him, but it could also mean the charges couldn't be proved.

We may never know that now but the commissioner may get the police report even if charges aren't filed.

• 10 months later...
By Greg A. Bedard of the Journal Sentinel

Green Bay Packers defensive end Johnny Jolly was admonished by a Houston judge Friday for some recent questionable behavior while he awaits trial on felony drug possession charges.

A hearing was delayed May 5 because Jolly, 27, was not present. His lawyer, Michelle E. Beck, said Jolly was in the hospital being treated for complications from appendicitis.

Beck, who had a letter from a doctor, said Jolly was released later that day.

On Friday, Harris County Assistant District Attorney Todd Keagle sought to have Jolly's bond raised from $10,000 when he presented Judge Mike Anderson with a flier promoting a club party that Jolly would host at a Houston club May 7 - two days after he failed to appear at the hearing.

Jolly was pictured on the flier with his hat tilted, flashing a sign with one hand.

Keagle also presented recent photos from a Web site, www. indmix.biz, which showed Jolly at various Houston-area parties.

Anderson dismissed the pictures because they didn't show Jolly doing anything out of the ordinary.

However, a handful of pictures were found later Friday on the Web site that showed Jolly with drinks in his hands. Those pictures were removed from the site, but the district attorney's office has sought to compel indmix .biz to produce those pictures.

Under the terms of his bond for his July 8, 2008, arrest on allegations of possessing more than 200 grams of codeine, Jolly was to abstain from drugs and alcohol.

Taking Mike Neal in the 2nd looks even better now.

i have less problem with having drugs, especially if they were for his or his friends personal use, then I have with the loaded gun on the floor! this is the problem in my eyes. In no way is anyone getting in my car with a gun.

That is one hell of a lot of codeine . . . or are you thinking of Nate Newton and his 200+ pounds of pot he was caught with?

:wacko: at picturing Jolly getting pulled over with a full keg of codeine cough syrup in the back seat.

That is one hell of a lot of codeine . . . or are you thinking of Nate Newton and his 200+ pounds of pot he was caught with?

:wacko: at picturing Jolly getting pulled over with a full keg of codeine cough syrup in the back seat.

right. Just got carried away. The important part is that it's a felony.

If he knew it was in his car, then he's guilty.

I don't really understand the furor over this. 7 ounces of codeine cough syrup? I have had that prescribed to me before by my doctor for bronchitis. Not like he was slinging some crack or something...

Sippin' on some syzurp....rest easy, codeine , special k, you get this stuff from animal vets...song made popular by 36 mafia, Jolly was sippin' on some syzurp (syrup for those who have no clue about a drug trend that has been around since at least the early 90's)

If they weren't his drugs does he? I'm trying to find out what he actually did. Was he the bad influence having these guys sell the drugs for him ala Michael Vick? Did he have a selling operation?

Were they his or was just a dumb ass buying them from these guys. At the very least he probably supplied the money for them.

What bothers me is the other guys in the car were cut loose. It seems the DA is trying to get Jolly and I wonder how guilty he really is.

Its funny how inquisitive, fair and open minded Randall is when a Packer is involved :wacko: If he was a Cowboy you would be calling for his head