[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Newspaper Poll

DMD

Newspapers  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What best describes your relationship with newspapers

• Have always subscribed, always will
    • Used to subscribe to full week, now just Sunday
    • Always have subscribed to just Sunday
    • Never have subscribed, never will
    • Used to subscribe to full week, now do not subscribe
    • Other (explain)
  2. 2. If you do not currently subscribe or have gone to just weekends only, why?

• No time to read it
    • Get most my news from internet
    • News is old by the time I get it
    • too expensive
    • NA

We used to get the full week. Then we switched to just Sundays almost exclusively for the coupons. Then we stopped service altogether. Sorry to be political in a DMD thread, but the MAIN reason that we ended our subscription was because of the ultra liberal slant of the Minneapolis Star/Tribune. Not saying that all newspapers are that way, but this one absolutely is. Now we just get news and coupons from other sources (tv, radio, internet, mailings).

You just can't get the same feeling from the internet.

I will always get the paper as long as it is available. And if it ever disappears, I will be truly sad.

+1. I've subscribed for donkey's years, get it delivered every day, read it every day. Screw the Internet - it's OK for headlines.

We used to get the full week. Then we switched to just Sundays almost exclusively for the coupons. Then we stopped service altogether. Sorry to be political in a DMD thread, but the MAIN reason that we ended our subscription was because of the ultra liberal slant of the Minneapolis Star/Tribune. Not saying that all newspapers are that way, but this one absolutely is. Now we just get news and coupons from other sources (tv, radio, internet, mailings).

The Star Trib is undoubtedly left-leaning but it regularly publishes columns in the Op Ex by Krauthammer, Brooks, Will and even Michelle "Raving Lunatic" Bachman. I read them all - it's good to know what the enemy is thinking and I'd never search them out online.

One of the things to me that is most appealing about a newspaper over the internet is that you can read a whole big page at a time and never scroll to see the rest. I always read the cartoons every morning and the internet way just would never get it for me.

I am wondering though if the demise of newspapers is leading to less local news and reporting and more reliance on major news sources with all their warts and slants.

One of the things to me that is most appealing about a newspaper over the internet is that you can read a whole big page at a time and never scroll to see the rest. I always read the cartoons every morning and the internet way just would never get it for me.

I am wondering though if the demise of newspapers is leading to less local news and reporting and more reliance on major news sources with all their warts and slants.

More people are getting their "news" solely from sites that are not news sites at all but sheer propaganda. Whether it's Democratic Underground or World Net Daily, many people have retreated into a zone where the only thing they hear is what they want to hear.

One of the problems is that Blogs have become mistaken for news sources, when in fact they are little more than poinion pieces.

A buddy of mine pointed out that the day Farrah and Michael Jackson died the 3rd most tragic event was that TMZ became credible.

I'm with you on the scrolling thing, and I'm very much a tactile person...but if readint the news certainly isn't what it used to be.

Get it 7 days a week.

Nothing beats the newspaper whilst taking a dump.

Plus my ex-wife is the circulation director at the paper and we get along so I get it for about a third of what it costs others.

My wife is coupon cutter so Sunday newspapers are a must as well.

And it's always kind of interesting to see who got busted that I might know, filed for bankruptcy, got or is getting married/divorced - all that little crap I'd never take the time to look up but read when I come across it in the paper.

Pick it up occassionally but just don't really read it much to justify subscribing. Between Cable News and the innernets there is so much news out there that the newspaper is a dinasour. Subscribe to Newsweek, but I don't read it enough to the point I better start reading it to justify the subscription.

We do get some free local papers which let you keep up on the local news.

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

We get it every day but haven't paid in like 2 years. We canceled at my behest because I hated all the paper piling up. My wife likes the tradition of sitting down with the paper at breakfast. At any rate, the only thing they stopped bringing us was the bill. We still get the paper. Since we compost, we just add it in, so I don't mind.

I read the sports section, the friday restaurant review, and the 4 or 5 comics that aren't completely lame.

I get all my news from Inet and tv. I don't like old news and dealing with all the paper and crap. As far as I am concerned the newspaper is an idea whose time has come and gone.

We get it every day but haven't paid in like 2 years. We canceled at my behest because I hated all the paper piling up. My wife likes the tradition of sitting down with the paper at breakfast. At any rate, the only thing they stopped bringing us was the bill. We still get the paper. Since we compost, we just add it in, so I don't mind.

I read the sports section, the friday restaurant review, and the 4 or 5 comics that aren't completely lame.

:detlef'sneighbor: Dammit - the paper is gone again!!! :detlef'sneighbor:

I would be lost without the Star Tribune in the morning. We get it from a newsstand every day. We used to subscribe to it but someone else read it some of the time.

We also get the Post Bulletin every day. We subscribe to that one. We don't get it until 4-5 pm every day. It's available on newsstands at noon. I cancelled the subscription but somebody else renewed it again at a reduced rate. Now sometimes I get it at noon for myself when I know there's something I want to see.

I don't subscribe to any newspaper at home, but I might start the Post Bulletin again during the HS sports season.