[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Newspaper Poll

DMD

Newspapers  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What best describes your relationship with newspapers

• Have always subscribed, always will
    • Used to subscribe to full week, now just Sunday
    • Always have subscribed to just Sunday
    • Never have subscribed, never will
    • Used to subscribe to full week, now do not subscribe
    • Other (explain)
  2. 2. If you do not currently subscribe or have gone to just weekends only, why?

• No time to read it
    • Get most my news from internet
    • News is old by the time I get it
    • too expensive
    • NA

In the demise of the american newspaper that is going on, I wonder what you guys are doing with them? Subscribe? Cut back? What? More importantly why?

How long have you or did you subscribe? I have subscribed to whatever the local news paper was since I was 19 years old on my own in college. But obviously I am in the growing minority now. It's good for more than bird cage floors, but does it have any meaning for you?

In the demise of the american newspaper that is going on, I wonder what you guys are doing with them? Subscribe? Cut back? What? More importantly why?

How long have you or did you subscribe? I have subscribed to whatever the local news paper was since I was 19 years old on my own in college. But obviously I am in the growing minority now. It's good for more than bird cage floors, but does it have any meaning for you?

I always had a subscription. I remember when you'd get 2 per day! Early and late edition. I get 2 on the weekends now.

It's a shame to see them withering away.

subscribed for 5 years maybe but when the kids came along didn't have time.....the only reason we kept it as long as we did was for the wednesday coupons, but now those are even online....wife still gets coupons from her parents paper :wacko:

Voted for:

- Used to subscribe to full week, don't anymore.

- Stopped our subscription due to several factors. Voted for "N/A" because of the several factors. Did also vote for "get news from internet", too. First, we are simply cutting down on expenses. Next, I became unimpressed with the sports page and specifically their NBA box scores. I love perusing the sports page - and NBA box scores especially - during lunch.

I usually grab a paper from a bin or at a gas station if I'm out and about; read the sports page and bring the rest back to use for our bunny cage :wacko: and to keep the "life" section for the crossword. :D

Voted for:

- Used to subscribe to full week, don't anymore.

- Stopped our subscription due to several factors. Voted for "N/A" because of the several factors. Did also vote for "get news from internet", too. First, we are simply cutting down on expenses. Next, I became unimpressed with the sports page and specifically their NBA box scores. I love perusing the sports page - and NBA box scores especially - during lunch.

I usually grab a paper from a bin or at a gas station if I'm out and about; read the sports page and bring the rest back to use for our bunny cage :wacko: and to keep the "life" section for the crossword. :D

compound word for ghey, starts with k ends in l :D

I have subscribed to the San Diego paper since I arrived in 1978. I will continue to subscribe until the paper is no more. I can't imagine a morning without reading the paper while drinking a cup of java. :wacko: Then I finish reading the paper in the evening after work. Very relaxing.

You just can't get the same feeling from the internet.

I will always get the paper as long as it is available. And if it ever disappears, I will be truly sad.

Absotively! Even on vacation, I want a paper, in the AM, w/ my coffee, or on the toidy! :D The internets don't work the same!

I have subscribed to the San Diego paper since I arrived in 1978. I will continue to subscribe until the paper is no more. I can't imagine a morning without reading the paper while drinking a cup of java. :wacko: Then I finish reading the paper in the evening after work. Very relaxing.

And that was a retirement goal of mine...reading the paper completely in the AM! May not read everything, but it is still full filling!

The only problem is the paper has gotten thin. Pull out the ads and some days it's like gutting a fly. Not much there. :D

I subscribe to Sunday only and I've only done it when they are running promos at half price. I don't mind getting one paper, but there are a ton of other places to get news and I really don't have time to read it daily. The newspaper industry is fooked and part of it is their own fault. They can do the reporting, researching, and editing and then they will throw it on the web for free. Some site like Digg or Reddit throws it out there and hundreds of thousands of people read the article without paying a dime. The ad revenue mainly pays for the aggregator instead of the actually field reporting. The newspapers need to change dramatically to survive IMO.

And that was a retirement goal of mine...reading the paper completely in the AM! May not read everything, but it is still full filling!

The only problem is the paper has gotten thin. Pull out the ads and some days it's like gutting a fly. Not much there. :D

My wife and I about divorced the first year. I would wake up, read the sports page during breakfast, and save the rest till after dinner time. She would make it a habit to throw it in the recycle bin EVERY DAY, so I always had to go outside in all weather to dig out my paper. All I asked was she leave it on the kitchen counter and I would throw it out at the end of the day.

After countless, and I mean countless times, she finally got the message. :D

And God Help the A-holes who periodically steal my paper. If I ever catch one of those guys..... :wacko:

I'm "old school" about a lot of things (in fact so much so that I think the term "old school" - isn't) but voted other - used to get Sat/Sun but gave it up years ago. Most of the news I'm frankly not interested in anyway and I can get highlights on the 'net when I want for free. And if it's raining I don't even get wet. :wacko: But I can understand those who prefer the paper. Something about having it in your hand and no electricity required.

Edited by BeeR

I'm interested in more in depth reportage than what local daliy newspapers offer. I get that online or from local weeklies. Or the NYT/WSJ/IBD/Financial Times kind of paper.

Edited by godtomsatan

When I was single I used to start my day by reading the paper over breakfast. Ms Cid did not find that a constructive use of my time. She felt that me nodding my head in agreement to anything that came out of her mouth was a more suitable way to start the day.

I used to get the paper daily, but now only get the weekends . I voted "used to get he full week, now just Sundays", but I get it Saturday and Sunday. I rarely have time to read them, and find that with the exception of the local stuff, I can find more and better National and World info on-line. I get the Saturday paper primarily for two reasons, it gives me the local HS football scores and stats (which are sparse on the internet), and the tv schedule for the college games, which I can look at fast than the channel guide on direct TV. I get the Sunday paper to read about any of the HS teams that played on Saturday, as well as some of the lesser known college teams. My wife also likes to get the Sunday paper for he circulars and coupons.

I occasionally buy a paper if I'm having lunch by myself.

I usually check out the online versions of the NYT and Cincinnati Enquirer each day. The online stuff is easier and cheaper to skim through.

The paper doesnt arrive before I leave for work if I were to have it delivered so I just buy one when I get to the city for .50 per day

We switched from daily delivery to just weekends maybe 2 years ago ... and then about 3 months ago just gave up & dropped the subscription altogether. Internet news from a variety of sources is just easier / faster & we don't have to deal with stacks of old (frequently unread) papers sitting around the house waiting to go into the recycle bin. About the only time I still read a real newspaper these days is if I am on the road and the hotel leaves a USA Today (if you consider that a "real paper") outside my door.

Why buy something when it's free?? I used to read the newspaper every morning but when the internet started providing it for free, i cut loose the subscription. Plus don't have to worry aobut taking the paper to work and "losing it". Besides missing the coupons on Sundays, don't feel missing to much.

12 bucks a month for full week delivery for the Chicago Sun-Times.

When my paper doesnt show up, I am pretty ornery in he morning. Cover to cover over breakfast . . . .

I listen to news radio/ sports radio the rest of teh day streaming on my computer at work, but that local analysis and tactile feeling of having a paper every morning is too useful to me.