[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

changing a tire

tonorator

a la puddy, i also had to call for assistance to change a tire. a tip for others --> if you can't get the flat off your car, whack the hell out of it with the spare tire to knock it loose. turns out salt from the winter months can turn into a concrete-like binding, making it hard to remove it. after trying to employ the strength of superman to pry it off with my bare hands for about 20 minutes, i gave up and couldn't figure out what to do next. i thought maybe there was another hidden lugnut somewhere or something. then the dude pulls up, whacks it with the spare, and it pops right off.

:wacko:

nice guy, though. didn't charge me. i tipped him a 20 since i felt like such an idiot.

Just make sure not to hit it so hard as to knock the car off the jack when you do it. Then you'd be really fooked.

I have given this advice many times over the phone to friends trying to change a tire. Not uncommon at all for the rim to stick to the hub!

If swinging the spare at it is too much for ya? Sit on the ground and kick each side of the darn thing. Kick with the right then with the left. It will break loose.

I ran into this cementing factor a few months ago, taking the snow tires off my wife's car and putting the regulars back on. of course, I drink my coffee black and figured it out myself (I ended up using a seated kick to the outer edge of the tire to dislodge it, but a little knock with the spare sounds like a great idea).

Living 1 block from the ocean for a year cemented the wheel on pretty bad. I tried the hammer, I tried kicking. Finally I took the car off the jack and drove it (very slowly) with no lug nuts on the wheel. Probably a dumb thing to do, but it makes an awesome sound when if finally comes off.

Living 1 block from the ocean for a year cemented the wheel on pretty bad. I tried the hammer, I tried kicking. Finally I took the car off the jack and drove it (very slowly) with no lug nuts on the wheel. Probably a dumb thing to do, but it makes an awesome sound when if finally comes off.

It came off as you were driving? Did you do any damage to the car?

lol, just happened to me yesterday as well as I was doing my brakes. Usually a few good kicks does the job which worked for me yesterday.

A few months ago though it was not as easy. Finally had to get under the car (rear tire) and kick it from the back which finally worked.

Fun stuff.

Edited by chiefjay

It came off as you were driving? Did you do any damage to the car?

Nah. When I say driving, I mean going about 1 MPH in the driveway. There was a loud pop and the car was still propped up on the tire, but it wasn't stuck on anymore. Voila.

Nah. When I say driving, I mean going about 1 MPH in the driveway. There was a loud pop and the car was still propped up on the tire, but it wasn't stuck on anymore. Voila.

I know it worked and all but as a mechanic I would STRONGLY advise against this method. :wacko:

I know it worked and all but as a mechanic I would STRONGLY advise against this method. :D

Hey, it was either that or order myself a latte and call AAA.

Easy decision as far as I'm concerned. :wacko: