[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Are Jaguars sponsors bailing out now too?

Randall

It's easy to sit back and bash the Jags or any other Florida teams for that matter. What people need to realize is that the majority of people who live in FL today aren't from FL which means that they are rooting for the teams where they are from and they don't buy season tix to the games. Miami doesn't sell out all their games, Tampa did for awhile when they got better, but they are starting to slack off some now. Baseball stadiums are usually about half full and basketball games don't sell out. Does that mean the cities all suck or the fans suck? No, not at all. And let's face it, there are a lot of other things to do in FL because of the weather being nicer. I lived in CA for awhile and they have the same problem, after all, even LA doesn't have a team and they are a major market. So, yeah, it's easy for people to take shots at the Jags, but there's more to it than just sitting there and saying the fans suck or the city isn't big league.

Tampa and Miami are in FL and do pretty well.

What is better in FL and CA than seeing an NFL team play? Golf? Boating? You can do that anytime. I hear this stuff all the time.

Warm weather people aren't football fans? Tell that to Dallas, San Diego, Atlanta, etc. Some southern teams are new to the NFL but most sell out.

Edited by Randall

Because the fans suck and come up with lame excuses to not go to games.

Given the problems Florida teams have across the board in all four pro leagues, I'd say this is not far from the truth. Apologies to those that it doesn't apply to but the fact is there really aren't that many of you.

Anyone remember the photo of just 400 people at a Marlins game a couple years back? Sure, it was end of season and they weren't good but even perennial bottom feeders like the Royals and Clippers don't come close to this astounding level of apathy.

What is better in FL and CA than seeing an NFL team play? Golf? Boating? You can do that anytime. I hear this stuff all the time.

Right; with preseason, if you are anywhere near a fan of Jax, you can get face value (or less) tickets and set aside 10 days a year to see your team play...leaving 355 or so to go to the beach.

Because the fans suck and come up with lame excuses to not go to games.

Pretty harsh, Chavez. It's a small city, mostly transplants from the north with their own team affilations, I don't think it's so much Jags fans suck, but there just aren't very many of them. Jax is a small city... is it even bog enough to be a city? To live anywhere in Wisconsin, you are a Packers fan, and may GB fans come from out of state, that is a team with a national following. Jax has neither the history or fan base to compare.

Buffalo and GB.... what else ya gonna do on a fridgid Sunday afternoon? No one lives in either place unless they got stuck being born there! Even the home Miami games get nearly 50% Jets fans when they matchup.

Hook... I might add, who would want to live in Indiana unless they were stuck there? :wacko:

Buffalo and GB.... what else ya gonna do on a fridgid Sunday afternoon?

My contention is NOT that Buf or GB have anything better to do - they don't - it's that fans of southern teams always drop the "oh, there's so much else to do!" when their teams have crap attendance.

Which, as I said, doesn't explain why NE, NY, and Chicago always have such solid-to-great attendance for multiple teams in some cases, there are TONS of other things to do in those markets but fans still show up.

Heck, Seattle is a similar size to Jacksonville with (arguably) worse weather* and probably better attractions and they still outdraw the Jags.

* - I love Seattle's weather but most people wouldn't.

It would be nice if the state had a tree.

:wacko: I have 4 in my front yard and 3 in my backyard. If you want to say it has no hills, I can understand it (although southern Indiana is quite hilly). But not trees. C'mon. We have lots.

:D I have 4 in my front yard and 3 in my backyard. If you want to say it has no hills, I can understand it (although southern Indiana is quite hilly). But not trees. C'mon. We have lots.

Well, he is from Milwaukee. They think anyplace that doesn't have a church and bar on every corner is weird. :wacko: Those bastages eat tons of fried food, cheese curds, drink like fish, and then have the nerve to live longer than most of us. I think more people should hate Wisconsin. :D

Well, he is from Milwaukee. They think anyplace that doesn't have a church and bar on every corner is weird. :wacko: Those bastages eat tons of fried food, cheese curds, drink like fish, and then have the nerve to live longer than most of us. I think more people should hate Wisconsin. :D

Coming from a Bears fan. :D

I'm not buying the "there's so much to do" statement either. Hell, I lived here when the USFL was around and the Bulls led the league in attendance. Fans flocked to those games. It was a spring time league though until Trump and all had the brilliant idea of trying to compete against the NFL. If the Gators or Noles played here every Sunday you'd have a packed house for sure.

I bought season tickets to the Jags first 3-4 seasons. I dropped them for numerous reasons, one being that I'm a Steeler fan and was missing my boys playing more Sundays than not. It is deathly hot in the stadium. I won tickets to a game a couple years back and ended up watching the game from the Bud Zone(the bar inside the stadium). It sucks when your beer gets warm if you don't drink it in 30 seconds. I'm a hugh NFL fan and I was lucky to get home to watch the second half of the 4:00 games. It sucked. I already had Directv so I signed up for the Ticket and have been like that ever since. You can buy a case of beer for what you pay for 3-4 at the stadium. Going to games has become a major expense. Some people can't afford it. So I choose to watch the games on TV in the comfort of my air conditioned home with a grill right outside. Very easy, whereas game days you had to be ready to leave by 10:00AM at the latest and had to fight the traffic to get home again.

But I have noticed that alotr of Jag fans are fair-weathered. They want to see a winner, but if their team is having a bad year, they don't come to the games. I'll be surprised if they stay here more than 3 years.

The real reason Jags fans stay away is the Jags rarely win big games. They can't win their division. They can't be the Colts when it matters. They can't even beat the Texans when they really need it. They can't win play-off games. But they are big talkers on and off the field. Maybe their fans would rather see them use that energy on the field.

:wacko:

Edited by CaptainHook

:D

Stress free good livin' is the key.

The real reason Jags fans stay away is the Jags rarely win big games. They can't win their division. They can't be the Colts when it matters. They can't even beat the Texans when they really need it. They can't win play-off games. But they are big talkers on and off the field. Maybe their fans would rather see them use that energy on the field.

:D

I've always said that if the Jags got as pumped up as when they play the Steelers, they'd be hard to beat. I have no clue as to why they can't seem to get pumped up against division foes. It's frustrating as a Steeler fan as they seem to have their number. I'll bet if you asked 100 random Jag fans who their #1 rivalry is, at least 75 of them would say Pittsburgh. C'mon people! The Steelers are no longer in your division. The Colts or the Titans should be the clear cut answer. :wacko:

I've always said that if the Jags got as pumped up as when they play the Steelers, they'd be hard to beat. I have no clue as to why they can't seem to get pumped up against division foes. It's frustrating as a Steeler fan as they seem to have their number. I'll bet if you asked 100 random Jag fans who their #1 rivalry is, at least 75 of them would say Pittsburgh. C'mon people! The Steelers are no longer in your division. The Colts or the Titans should be the clear cut answer. :wacko:

Your statement was true until last season. We thumped them last year.

Didn't Jeff Fisher say playing in Jacksonville is a home game for the Titans? That should fire them up.

DB issues from Jaguars.com...this could be trouble in their division.

Defensive back

Job battles at right cornerback and at safety will be feature attractions in training camp and in the preseason. Rashean Mathis may be the only player in the secondary who will enter training camp with job security. Brian Williams is the leader at right cornerback, but he could be pushed by rookie Derek Cox, for whom the Jaguars traded their 2010 second-round pick to acquire a third-round pick with which the team selected Cox. Cox’s performance in training camp could directly impact safety, where Williams has spent time. Safety will be the most intriguing position this summer. Incumbent free safety Reggie Nelson, an ’07 first-round pick, is coming off a poor sophomore season. The Jaguars allowed last year’s starting strong safety, Gerald Sensabaugh, to depart in free agency, then signed Sean Considine from the Eagles. Fortifying the position didn’t stop there. The Jaguars signed veteran Marlon McCree during OTAs, and then recently traded wide receiver Dennis Northcutt to Detroit to acquire safety Gerald Alexander. Add to the safety competition Kennard Cox, who the Jaguars acquired off Green Bay’s practice squad last December, and stir in undrafted rookie Michael Desormeaux, who was impressive in the spring. Safety is a position of intense concern and competition. Cornerback will also benefit from competition. Scott Starks is coming off knee reconstruction. Undrafted rookie Pete Ittersagen earned notice in the spring. Brian Witherspoon is trying to become more than a speedy return man. Tyron Brackenridge was claimed off waivers and has legitimate coverage skill. Kennard Cox can also play corner.

Edited by Randall