[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Black harvard prof arrest Fiasco

whomper

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard a great point on this today that has shifted my opinion dramatically toward supporting the professor:

The standard for "disorderly conduct" while standing on your own property should be considerable higher than the standard while out on public land.

Where are all the republicans who feel they need to possess an arsenal of weaponry to keep the government away? The guy was on his lawn and a cop arrested him for disorderly conduct. Perch, wv, Nick... you should be up in arms about this supporting the landowners right to do whatever the hell he wants at his house.

He complied with the cops by showing his ID. Nothing more should have been required of Mr. Gates. I understand what you're saying, but we should all shudder at the idea of the cops arresting anyone for exercising free speech in their own homes. The cops arrested him to put him in his place. Nothing more.

That said, I don't think this was a race thing: just law enforcement thumping a guy who was mouthing off to them.

Hotheads need vacations.

Some things that this whole case highlights:

1) Race is still an issue in our country regardless of who we elected to the White House.

2) The fact is, If anyone gets belligerent to a cop in almost any situation, there will be complications and/or further repercussions regardless of race, religion, etc. This is not to say that those who are a minority are treated fairly, however, I simply say this to point out that it's best to do as the cop says as long as it doesn't seem soooo far out of line (e.g. to strip naked). If you have a problem with it, make an issue of it later, away from the situation.

3) #2 is easier said than done.

4) I like Obama. I like the fact that he's not a robot political president and is allowed to have opinions such as wearing a White Sox jacket to the all star game and admiting to a friendship with someone regardless of when the heat may be on. That said, he had an obligation as president to keep his mouth shut at least until he had all the facts. For a president of the U.S., free to speak is good, but quick to speak may not be so good.

Edited by TDFFFreak

I heard a great point on this today that has shifted my opinion dramatically toward supporting the professor:

The standard for "disorderly conduct" while standing on your own property should be considerable higher than the standard while out on public land.

Where are all the republicans who feel they need to possess an arsenal of weaponry to keep the government away? The guy was on his lawn and a cop arrested him for disorderly conduct. Perch, wv, Nick... you should be up in arms about this supporting the landowners right to do whatever the hell he wants at his house.

:wacko: I haven't chimed in here, but...

(bearing in mind I wasn't there and am going on what I have heard locally....there is a lot more scuttlebut here than nationally I would imagine)

I am on the side of the homeowner with respect to the arrest. I read the statute for disorderly conduct earlier today, and there is nothing that indicates that Gates conduct met the standard. Add that he was in his own house, and the arrest looks outright foolish to me.

This is a case where both sides are wrong on a point. Gates was way off base in his accusations of racism.

The officer should not have been arresting Gates under the circumstances. In fact, he should have just left Gates property when he found that there was not a break in.

From talking to one of my cop buddies, the report that was filled out had plenty of non-specific drivel that goes along with cops trying to CYA after overstepping their bounds. It sounds to me like Gates got arrested because he poked the stick at the bear for too long and too loudly with the Do You Know Who I AM and the You Are Trying To Keep The Black Man Down schtick. Police are human, and they will look for reasons to ticket or arrest you if you berate them long enough. Polite goes much farther. But...still no excuse on the officer's part IMO.

Had the president not spoken out on this subject, it would not even be discussed here. The whole issue here is not what happened, because sadly it happens everyday across our nation, it is that our leader is speaking out on something he should not be speaking on. He has absolutely no business speaking at a press conference on this issue it is local.

Had the president not spoken out on this subject, it would not even be discussed here. The whole issue here is not what happened, because sadly it happens everyday across our nation, it is that our leader is speaking out on something he should not be speaking on. He has absolutely no business speaking at a press conference on this issue it is local.

He's an American. He can comment on whatever he wants. If people want to try and make his comments a big deal they can. Seems lame in this case but shouldn't stop anyone either.

Edited by Clubfoothead

perhaps that is why he thought it might be a good idea to try to answer the question :wacko: (Of course, the use of the word "stupidly" was just stupid.)

perhaps that is why he thought it might be a good idea to try to answer the question :wacko: (Of course, the use of the word "stupidly" was just stupid.)

I agree that while this is a local incident, the fact that these situations are not uncommon make it a national news.

Like a previous poster, my opinion has been greatly influenced by hearing the standard for "disorderly conduct" in your own home. There was no justification for Gates to be arrested. In that sense the cop did "act stupidly" - although Obama should've chosen different words to appease public perception.

Like I said Dmarc: its not a race thing, so I'm not surprised a black cop backs up another cop. This was about how the cops reacted to someone who did not respect their o-thor-a-tie

It is totally a race issue - the white cop did not make it a race issue - the black professor is the one who made it a race issue and that is where it seems the problems started. He should have shut his mouth and complied with the cop. Throwing out the race card whenever possible is not helping the race issue in tis country.

Why do you post things that are blatantly untrue?

wasn't the very next thing out of his mouth after he said they acted stupidly to talk about black and hispanic people having to go through this all the time? if that's not implicitly calling the people doing the policing racist, what is it? let's see....you say someone acted stupidly, and then link it to racism, and then you get indignant and defensive when they feel like you're calling them stupid racists?

wasn't the very next thing out of his mouth after he said they acted stupidly to talk about black and hispanic people having to go through this all the time? if that's not implicitly calling the people doing the policing racist, what is it? let's see....you say someone acted stupidly, and then link it to racism, and then you get indignant and defensive when they feel like you're calling them stupid racists?

Black and Hispanic people do have to go through that all the time. He's stating the facts, you're saying he called the cop racist. The fact that you are interpreting it that way does not mean that it happened.