[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

mid-year (sort of) investments check-in

CaP'N GRuNGe

Personal Rate of Return from 01/01/2009 to 07/23/2009 is 14.3%

What are you doing with your 401K / IRA holdings for the rest of 2009 and into 2010? Anybody have any good mutual funds, strategies, etc. they feel pretty comfortable with? I guess we could discuss individual stocks as well for those that are into that kind of investing.

Oh, and the doomsayers who want to horde gold are welcome too. :wacko:

I'm thinking of putting some of my 401K into China.

Anyone have any opinions on oil and where it's heading?

Keep in mind that if you are picking individual assets and think you are going to make an above average return (after adjusting for risk, liquidity, etc.) you are assuming 2 things:

1) that you are smarter than the overall market

&

2) that the overall market will become as smart as you are before you need to liquidate your assets

2nd half of the year will be interesting. I'm too tired to comment.

As it regards the S&P500 over the rest of the year, my personal guess is that the max upside from here is +15% (i.e., S&P 1100) and the max downside is -40% (i.e., S&P 600) and we are probably down something in the range of -10% from here on out (i.e., the S&P500 closes somewhere in the 900 range). That said, I'm long the market (but only a little bit) right now.

Keep in mind that if you are picking individual assets and think you are going to make an above average return (after adjusting for risk, liquidity, etc.) you are assuming 2 things:

&

2) that the overall market will become as smart as you are before you need to liquidate your assets

You should write a book, weeg.

Rate of return - 18.1%.

No interest in farting around with it as I really only understand the basics. Judging by how many so-called experts get burned, fiddling about with it is akin to throwing dice blindfold anyway.

&

No individual assets, mutual funds. But I am interested in foreign markets and market sectors.

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

No individual assets, mutual funds. But I am interested in foreign markets and market sectors.

Mutual funds are individual assets.

If you doubt me, look at your brokerage statement and see if they break our your proportional holdings, or if there is a single line item.

:wacko:

Don't know what mine is for the year but it is pretty high as I bought large (for me) into Russell 2k in March. Now my new purchases are as follows.

25% Russell 1K

25% Russell 2K

25% S&P 500

25% Asia Emerging Markets

I know I don't a good handle on what in the heck I'm doing with this but I think I understand as much as many guys on Wall Street about what can really happen.

Anybody have any comments on this?

My primary investment vehicle is a piece of land near here. If it all hits the fan I can live on it and raise pintos and goat.

Since the dow is up like a half percent for the year, I am impressed with all of your returns.

My pos returns are a fluke of chance in that our 401k match and profit sharing came out while the market was tanked. This is further evidence of Muck's philosophy of financial luck.

&

This doesn't make sense to me. Are you saying that you should not buy individual stocks? If so, could you provide more detail on why you believe this?

I don't agree with your statement.

E2A: I bought about 6 different stocks in May, then sold them all on June 5 (Market started down on June 11). After a confirmed bottom a few weeks ago, I bought FSLR at $146, sold it last week at $168. I just can't get myself to trust any type of 'fund' when I can do my own research and pick a handful of stocks I think will breakout.

Really though, when the market is going up, most stocks will follow and vice versa - so then it's about forseeing market reversals and taking the appropriate action.

Edited by Brentastic

All my funds have bounced back nicely, but we have a ways to go to get back to where they were. You know, before our economy fell off a cliff! I'm holding for a while longer (not too eager to sell anything and lock in those losses) and am going to discuss all my household finances with a financial professional. I won't pretend to know what I am doing and this is just too darn important to mess up.

Glad to see that, for the most part, y'all are doing better! :wacko:

Edited by The Wolf

Your Account Summary Statement Period: 01/01/2009 to 07/24/2009

Your Personal Rate of Return

This Period 14.1%

Your Personal Rate of Return is calculated with a time-weighted formula, widely used by financial analysts to calculate investment earnings. It reflects the results of your investment selections as well as any activity in the plan account(s) shown. There are other Personal Rate of Return formulas used that may yield different results. Remember that past performance is no guarantee of future results.

I have 73% in various stocks, 22% in bonds, and 5% in short term investments. Meh...still got a bit to go to recoup the last 2 years or so.

Through June 30th:

Best investment has had an 80% return since March 1st (an unleveraged portfolio of banking / insurance / finance / automotive industry bonds).

Worst investment has had an unknown return (may be up, may be down, not sure how much in either direction).

Most investments are within 10% of breakeven for the year (i.e., no big deal).