[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Eli gets Paid

Footballjoe

(Rotoworld) Eli Manning has agreed to terms on a new seven-year, $106.9 million contract and is expected to sign later in the day. Analysis: Eli becomes the eighth player to reach $100 million. The $106.9 million falls short of the NFL record, but his $15.27 million per year is the highest annual salary. While it's certainly debatable if Eli is worth the mega-deal, the Giants had little choice but to pay the going rate for franchise QBs. Eli was reportedly asking for $20 million per year, so the Giants did well to hold their ground.

Well deserved, and kudos to the Giants for locking him up for 6 more years and avoiding any drama next year when his rookie contract was due to expire. The G-Men will continue to be a dominant force with Eli under center.

Wow. He just isn't that good.

No, but he's better than his two predecessors, Collins and Warner, both of whom couldn't get the Giants to the Super Bowl, nevermind win the unwinnable game. He's earned it.

No, but he's better than his two predecessors, Collins and Warner, both of whom couldn't get the Giants to the Super Bowl, nevermind win the unwinnable game. He's earned it.

Maybe Warner didn't try as hard since he was with the Rams.

Well deserved, and kudos to the Giants for locking him up for 6 more years and avoiding any drama next year when his rookie contract was due to expire. The G-Men will continue to be a dominant force with Eli under center.

I like the kid and all, and thought he played well during their SB run, but that money is for a guy who can win you a game by himself. Eli is not that guy. The G-Men will eventually crumble under the weight of that contract. What a colossal blunder...

The G-Men will eventually crumble under the weight of that contract. What a colossal blunder...

Meh...I don't know, I think Reese is a genius at finding talent in the draft and resisting the temptation to sign big-name free agents, so that has kept the payroll in check. The salary cap is currently $128M, and it increases every year. By 2012 Eli's salary will be near the average for QBs, and we'll have him signed thru 2016.

I see the money as somewhat of a reward, not only for the Super Bowl, but for keeping his poise amidst all the BS he's had to endure. Playing in the biggest market, taking truckloads of criticism from the media and fans, Tiki and Shockey's ego trips -- through it all he's kept a level head and has done everything they have asked of him. It definitely took him a long time to arrive, but I think people are starting to appreciate his quiet leadership and how that keeps everyone else steady and focused.

After seeing the deals Big Ben and Eli got, Philip Rivers has got to be licking his chops. There's no way A.J. will let Rivers get away. Expect another big contract signing before the end of this season.