[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DirectTV and DVRs

kpholmes

My roommates and I are canceling my DirectTV service and opening a new account under one of their names so we can get the $59.99 Sunday Ticket/Premium Service for 5 months. With the service they'll give us a free HD DVR.

We'd like to have three other DVRs in the house, but after the first "advanced receiver" you have to pay $99 upfront for each, in addition to the $5 a month lease... so $300 initially and $15 a month thereafter.

If we just went with standard receivers, all we'd have to pay is $15 a month.

Does anyone have their own home made DVR setup on a standard receiver? Or know of some links to good setups?

Thanks

My roommates and I are canceling my DirectTV service and opening a new account under one of their names so we can get the $59.99 Sunday Ticket/Premium Service for 5 months. With the service they'll give us a free HD DVR.

We'd like to have three other DVRs in the house, but after the first "advanced receiver" you have to pay $99 upfront for each, in addition to the $5 a month lease... so $300 initially and $15 a month thereafter.

If we just went with standard receivers, all we'd have to pay is $15 a month.

Does anyone have their own home made DVR setup on a standard receiver? Or know of some links to good setups?

Thanks

You can build a HTPC (Home theatre PC) that can record. I don't know how computer savy you are or how your patiance is. HTPC's arent necessarily made for convenience, rather more of a hobby.

You can build a HTPC (Home theatre PC) that can record. I don't know how computer savy you are or how your patiance is. HTPC's arent necessarily made for convenience, rather more of a hobby.

kp's a Mac-ster.

Try out ATT U-Verse. Everything I've heard locally is that it's the bomb.

Yes, but do you get the Sunday Ticket?

This might get buried here, but call me koo-koo, but I really don't miss having Sunday Ticket. I enjoyed it while I had it, but it's grown too expensive, and I enjoy going out and watching games at a sports bar much more. And if I don't manage to get out to the sports bar, watching whatever is on broadcast TV and following my fantasy teams in other games via the internet has proven to be more than enough. With the Ticket, I ended up just zeroing in on a couple of games where I had the most players anyways. :wacko:

This might get buried here, but call me koo-koo, but I really don't miss having Sunday Ticket. I enjoyed it while I had it, but it's grown too expensive, and I enjoy going out and watching games at a sports bar much more. And if I don't manage to get out to the sports bar, watching whatever is on broadcast TV and following my fantasy teams in other games via the internet has proven to be more than enough. With the Ticket, I ended up just zeroing in on a couple of games where I had the most players anyways. :wacko:

+1000. Dallas comes on regular TV enough around here and I do enjoy the bar for a few hours if need be. Sure beats the $300+ for NFL ticket. I guess if I liked a smaller market team...

+1000. Dallas comes on regular TV enough around here and I do enjoy the bar for a few hours if need be. Sure beats the $300+ for NFL ticket. I guess if I liked a smaller market team...

Yeah, in SoCal, we'd often just get one morning game and a crappy afternoon game. Now in the hotbed of football, we get plenty of options.

I'm with this guy. Hell, I didn't even get the NFL Network last year and just watched the Thursday games streaming on my laptop.

Edited by AtomicCEO

Must be nice... I would be forced to watch the Niners or Raiders if it wasn't for the ST. The only way I'm getting ripped off is if I don't have it, IMO.

I'm with this guy. Hell, I didn't even get the NFL Network last year and just watched the Thursday games streaming on my laptop.

Ditto, don't have NFLN (Time Warner) and just "watch" it online.

Must be nice... I would be forced to watch the Niners or Raiders if it wasn't for the ST. The only way I'm getting ripped off is if I don't have it, IMO.

Yeah we get the Cowboys and Texans for sure, and usually another morning and afternoon game... that is, if I stay home. The sports bar will have everything. :wacko:

Ditto, don't have NFLN (Time Warner) and just "watch" it online.

Yeah we get the Cowboys and Texans for sure, and usually another morning and afternoon game... that is, if I stay home. The sports bar will have everything. :wacko:

How do you stream it? If this is under the table stuff, PM?

The region definitely matters. When I lived in CT, every week like clockwork, we'd have Patriots, Giants, and Jets. We had to, because they were all local teams.

But out here in CO, we get Denver... and then the best games on. They usually lean toward showing AFC West teams, but it isn't a hard and fast rule. We usually just get the good national game.

Or wait, I think I was thinking of the NBC game. At one point, our NBC affiliate was in a contract dispute with Time Warner and I had to watch NBC Sports online broadcast.

There are ways to stream the NFLN game, though. I'd just Google it.

Edited by darin3

Sopcast and TVAnts are apps for it, or justin.tv sometimes had a flash stream to the browser.

Hmm... there used to be a webpage that aggregated all the links to sports streams, but I seem to have deleted the link. When the season starts I'll have to find it again.

The only time I'd ever see a Giants game here in DC is if they are playing the Skins. Or Dallas because there's plenty of JJ nutsak hangers in this area (yes TIM I mean you!). The price of the Ticket is way less over the course of a year than me going to a sports bar, plus I don't have to worry about travel after a couple of beers. It is an absolute necessity.

Sopcast and TVAnts are apps for it, or justin.tv sometimes had a flash stream to the browser.

Hmm... there used to be a webpage that aggregated all the links to sports streams, but I seem to have deleted the link. When the season starts I'll have to find it again.

I've tried all three a few times over the last few seasons, mainly if I had to work on a Sunday but wanted to still have the game on. I was always disappointed with all of them. The biggest thing was if it actually worked. Most of the time the stream was broken or extreamly overloaded. The times that it did work the quality was poor...no better then a typical youtube video. For me, I just haven't found even a SD-quality feed.

I've tried all three a few times over the last few seasons, mainly if I had to work on a Sunday but wanted to still have the game on. I was always disappointed with all of them. The biggest thing was if it actually worked. Most of the time the stream was broken or extreamly overloaded. The times that it did work the quality was poor...no better then a typical youtube video. For me, I just haven't found even a SD-quality feed.

Yeah, it's a compressed signal... but it's the game.