[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Styx

detlef

I was pretty young when these guys started and recall thinking that the kids who listened to them were pretty bad-ass. You know, "the older kids" who were listening to albums like Pieces of Eight while skateboarding and doing jumps on their bmx bikes. These were kids that might kick your ass or something.

I briefly got into them, and think the only one I owned was Cornerstone.

At any rate, over time, as I listen to these songs again on classic rock stations, I'm reminded how un "bad-ass" they were. Not bad, mind you. Not un-talented, or any thing like that. Just, well, kind of pussily.

I mean, listen to freaking "Come Sail Away". Even when they plug it in and rock out, it's barely rock.

Nothing more, just something I was thinking about...

When they gave Tommy Shaw his head, he would rock out,

is a good example. Dennis DeYoung and the whole ballad thing killed most of that.

But the true badasses of my crowd didn't listen to Styx. Alice Cooper, AC/DC and Sabbath ruled that roost.

Edited by cre8tiff

is a good example. Dennis DeYoung and the whole ballad thing killed most of that.

But the true badasses of my crowd didn't listen to Styx. Alice Cooper, AC/DC and Sabbath ruled that roost.

Fair enough, but the ghey synth intro takes it down several notches on the bad-ass scale.

Equinox and The Grand illusion are both great albums IMO. Paradise Theater is a nice concept album but the music is a bit weak. There are ok songs scattered through the other stuff but for the most part, they weren't hard core rockers. As cre8tiff mentioned there were folks like Sabbath, Alice Cooper, BOC and others thet filled that roll.

Overall, I think they were a pretty decent band of my teenage years. I mean they were not the best but really the fact that I know every single one of their songs when it comes on the classic station tells me that I was a fan for sure. I mean hell, I was a fan of Journey and that one really makes me scratch my head.

FWIW, my whole intention with this thread was to point out the disconnect between what I saw as bad-ass as a kid and what I look back and realize was anything but. I don't mean to dog Styx, per se.

And since people brought up Sabbath. Ever notice how pop most of Ozzy's solo stuff was? Even before he started putting out crap like "Shot In The Dark" Considering how he was such an icon for going over the edge?

Take Crazy Train, for instance. After the fierce guitar intro, it just settles into this nice, happy go lucky pop groove.

FWIW, my whole intention with this thread was to point out the disconnect between what I saw as bad-ass as a kid and what I look back and realize was anything but. I don't mean to dog Styx, per se.

And since people brought up Sabbath. Ever notice how pop most of Ozzy's solo stuff was? Even before he started putting out crap like "Shot In The Dark" Considering how he was such an icon for going over the edge?

Take Crazy Train, for instance. After the fierce guitar intro, it just settles into this nice, happy go lucky pop groove.

You know, about that time synth and new wave were gaining traction, so music in general was being watered down. The edge at that time was the Ramones and other punk groups, and hell, even they were turning more pop.

All those crappy formulaic FM radio bands were rubbish. They were creations of the record industry, completely harmless but marketed as something dangerous, laughable as it is.

And Ozzy had pretty much run out of steam after eight outstanding albums with Sabbath (and ridiculous amounts of drugs).

Overall, I think they were a pretty decent band of my teenage years. I mean they were not the best but really the fact that I know every single one of their songs when it comes on the classic station tells me that I was a fan for sure. I mean hell, I was a fan of Journey and that one really makes me scratch my head.

I think we appreciate the music of our youth becuase it reminds us of great times, not because it is great music.

I also think there are posers on this board and in general that take more joy in criticizing music than enjoying it in any form. :wacko:

"you know it's youuuuuuuuuuu, babe!"

James "JY" Young was the guy who wrote/sang "Miss America."

On the Styx episode of Behind the Music, the rest of the band liked to rock out - "Renegade", "Blue Collar Man" (THOSE were Shaw) - but DeYoung had a strong personality and heck, when he took charge, their records SOLD. So they kinda went :wacko: and went with his "Rock on Broadway" ideas.

Heh. I'm a few yrs behind you, but the true badasses in my school thought AC/DC and Sabbath were weak - Slayer, Venom, Metallica, and Iron Maiden were more their speed.

You know, about that time synth and new wave were gaining traction, so music in general was being watered down. The edge at that time was the Ramones and other punk groups, and hell, even they were turning more pop.

Well, the Ramones were ALWAYS pop. They essentially wanted to be a bubblegum band but didn't have the talent to play the stuff they liked. So they wrote their own songs and made them as simple as possible.

The stuff in the metal and hardcore undergrounds in the very late 70s and 80s would make your hair stand on end, but you had to dig for it.

All those crappy formulaic FM radio bands were rubbish. They were creations of the record industry, completely harmless but marketed as something dangerous, laughable as it is.

:wacko: I don't think anybody thought Styx, Journey, or BTO were "dangerous."

But I do loves me some Foghat and April Wine.

I think we appreciate the music of our youth becuase it reminds us of great times, not because it is great music.

I certainly admit it's tricky to really judge whether something is "good" or not when the haze of nostalgia clouds the matter.

I use to think O.J. was bad-ass as a Kid, now I realize he was anything but.

I dressed up as OJ for Halloween when I was in Kindergarten. In retrospect, I'm pretty shocked my parents let me go to school in blackface. Still have OJ's youth-sized Niners' jersey, though.

Edited by yo mama

there is a rule in music... No music by bands with names of cities, states , journeys or mythical rivers

"He played me music by bands with the most exotic names - Boston, Europe, Asia..'travel exhausts me' I said...."