[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Are the Packers Finished?

Mr Hammock

Yeah, they are in trouble. They just lost to the Cincinnati Bengals. The Packers are going backwards.

Damn dude. I haven't chimed in on any of your posts, but give it a rest already.

We all know how you feel. You're entitled to your opinion. It's clear other people have theirs as well. Yours isn't right. Theirs isn't right. That what makes it an opinion.

If you want people to respect your take, you should respect theirs too.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate your zeal in defending Favre but the fact of the matter is FAVRE created the whole mess. Again, and for the last time, when one player thinks he is bigger than the whole team then it IS time to move on, and GB did just that. You can't just say GB has no class without including Favre as well. We here in WI an d all GB fans have moved on, so should you.

This will be my last post on the matter. It's clear you're unable to think with a level head.

You never answered my questions and you are running away from a debate that you just can't win. So your only way out is to say I am not level headed. Do you realize how weak that makes you look?

The Packers have NO CLASS at all. None. Not A Shred of integrity. Don't think that other players didn't see that.

Mark it Down! Peyton will retire a Colt and he will retire on his terms because he has earned that just like Favre had earned that. The Packers want to run a Mickey Mouse operation and the they are getting the circus they deserve.

The Packers are a terrible organization and I feel really bad for their fans. Their fans deserve better! Their fans shouldn't have to go through this.

Favre gave his heart and soul to the Green Bay Packers and he had a hard time letting go and leaving the game. The Packers showed absolutely No Compassion for him and they never deserved him in the first place because of it.

Take a page from the Dolphins when Marino retired. His time was over. He had a terrible last season and he was struggling with moving on. He too was thinking about joining the Vikings. The Dolphins put him in the front office, a move that he later decided not to pursue. But it was a compassionate answer for a tough time in Marino's life. They helped him along the way and he only wore a Miami Dolphins uniform.

Think about it.

Okay sir think about this. Today when you get to work, imagine that your boss hires someone to do your job and tells you to have them ready by next year. Think about this for a second. It doesn't even matter if you are great or once great at your job, but do you want your boss dictating when you should retire or move on?

Think about this in realistic terms.

Realistic.

Let's see here.....if I told my boss every year for the last 3-4 years that I was retiring and then announced my retirement, yeah, I'd expect them to replace me. The only difference is that I wouldn't be able to go back at all if I suddenly decided to unretire. It would be my fault for not getting my job back.

The Packers handled this situation correctly, no doubt about it. Anyone who thinks the Pack pushed Favre out the door is completely clueless.

Remember when Reeves drafted a QB in the 1st round when they still had Elway? Did Elway threaten to retire, did he retire, then unretire numerous times? Did he hold the Broncos hostage after he retired trying to unretire? Absolutely not! You can't compare Brady or Manning to Favre because neither of them have discussed retiring! Not even once like Favre constantly did and is doing. Favre is barely helping this team at all. He will get hurt before the end of the season, but push to continue to be the starting QB even though is will no longer be effective just like last year which could cost the Vikings a couple of games this year.

Your right........Favre should still be screwing the Pack today.

And when you get to work today, imagine what your boss would do if you kept wondering aloud, "Gee, I wonder how much longer I'm going to want to do this job. Really thinking about hanging it up after this year."

People do that every day. That kind of talk doesn't reflect heart, it reflects on how much a person feels they have left in the tank. I have many employees and the older ones who talk about retirement have every right to do so. They have earned that right through years of commitment and hard work.

So what is your point?

Favre talked about the elephant in the room and because so you think it was his fault? Favre has always been a pretty open guy with everyone. It's part of what makes him so great. We seen things in his life that we have never seen from a fans point of view of any professional player. Look at all of the things he has publicly been through and shared with everyone.

I am a long way away from retirement and I still think about it all the time. It doesn't effect my work. But it does keep things in perspective and helps me prepare for when that time comes.

You are just so far off on this and something has you blinded by the reality of what really happened and not even what is going on after the fact is helping to remove those blinders.

Damn dude. I haven't chimed in on any of your posts, but give it a rest already.

We all know how you feel. You're entitled to your opinion. It's clear other people have theirs as well. Yours isn't right. Theirs isn't right. That what makes it an opinion.

If you want people to respect your take, you should respect theirs too.

I am just replying to what people are replying to me. It's a debate and evidently it is not over.

Disagreeing and/or respecting each other are two different things. Too bad the Packers don't understand that or they wouldn't be in this situation and this conversation wouldn't be happening.

The Packers handled this situation correctly, no doubt about it. Anyone who thinks the Pack pushed Favre out the door is completely clueless.

Who drafted Rodgers in the first round of the 2005 draft? Was that Favre working the war room or was that the Packers?

Favre had not retired 3-4 times when they drafted Rodgers. It makes for good sensationalism for you to try and use false information like that to make your point, but it is just not true. Your point has no base because of it.

Edited by Mr Hammock

Who drafted Rodgers in the first round of the 2005 draft? Was that Favre working the war room or was that the Packers?

Favre had not retired 3-4 times when they drafted Rodgers. It makes for good sensationalism for you to try and use false information like that to make your point, but it is just not true. Your point has no base because of it.

Your right, he only did it 2X before they drafted Rodgers. Any other QB's do that in recent memory? I can't think of any either.

October, 2002: Brett Favre considers retirement.

January 10, 2005: Brett Favre considers retirement.

April 1, 2006: Brett Favre considers retirement.

March 6, 2008: Brett Favre announces his retirement.

February 11, 2009: Brett Favre announces his retirement.

July 29, 2009: Brett Favre announces his retirement.

Favre has been winning every since he left Green Bay and the Packers have been LOSERS.

+1 You're absolutely right. Favre hasn't had a losing season for three years in a row, and two seasons were winning records. There's a good chance that he goes for three. No, Favre didn't make the playoffs last year, but his team was in contention through the final game of the season. Favre did get worse the latter part of the season, but we know the medical reason why. Now you may be skeptical, and say that's an excuse, but the NFL is either doing a dog-n-pony show to support Favre's story by fining the Jets, or it's simply the truth.

If you've been reading Don Banks lately, he spent his summer SI columns telling us all how sick he is of Favre, so sick that he has to write about it. In August, he wrote about how he hates NFL pre-season, then filled his column with his pre-cum love for Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers' dominant preseason performances. On September 16th, he ranked the Green Bay Packers as the number three (3) team in his NFL power rankings. I'm not kidding. See link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...ek.2/index.html For a writer, who claims to hate the pre-season, he sure does allow himself to get worked up quickly over some cheese that looked like it shouldn't have been served against the Bengals..

My point is that Aaron Rodgers put up gaudy numbers last season, but he hasn't won anything. Just like Jay Cutler put up gaudy numbers last season, but he won nothing. It appears that a lot of Packers fans believe that the QB position is just fine, but the jury is still out. Let's not let gaudy passing statistics blind us to the fact that they had a losing record last season. Being the QB is more than just putting up numbers, it's about being a leader. Yes, that comes with experience, and Rodgers may end up being as successful as Steve Young was to following Joe Montana.

I think one of the points here that Mr. Hammock is making is that the Green Bay organization had that proven leader in Favre ready to return in 2008, from not only an excellent statistical season, but also a winning season. He wasn't injured like Montana, when he lost his job to Young. And it does appear that Favre's indecisiveness led the Green Bay organization to go in another direction. However, that may have been a mistake. Sometimes you have to treat the superstars differently beyond their paychecks and put up with their sh@#t. Green Bay said no more.

One could say that Green Bay had all the elements in place to take the next step, but decided to go with a less experienced QB, thus they went backwards. One may also say that the defense was the problem, and with or without Favre, the team was on the decline. Some may say playing a tougher schedule exposed the team's weaknesses. Some think that the 20008 Packers would have been worse with Favre. But there is always that "what if" factor. What if the Packers had brought him back? Maybe the Packers wouldn't have fallen flat on their face. We will never know. The main point of this thread, is that this subject is a sore spot for the Packers - a fresh open wound that hasn't healed. And this thread appears to be an example of Mr. Hammock's love for poking at that sore as much as he can so it won't heal, and the Packers fans won't move on.

Will Green Bay regret their decision? Win or lose this season, I don't think they will. If San Francisco didn't regret cutting ties with Joe Montana, then I don't think Green Bay regrets their decision. Of course, it's always possible that Favre pulls a Babe Ruth on them. Joe Montana will always be associated with San Francisco, and Brett Favre will always be associated with Green Bay. And yes, Favre will go into the HOF as a Packer, and he will attend events for the Packers and be an ambassador for them in the future, because he will get attention and enjoy it. Everyone will forgive and forget and remember the good times.

Favre faces the Packers twice this season. The Packer wound is fresh and open for both Packers fans and for Favre. You couldn't ask for better drama in the NFL. The sore is prime for poking at. It's so good, it's as if it were scripted.

Edited by electricrelish

Your right, he only did it 2X before they drafted Rodgers. Any other QB's do that in recent memory? I can't think of any either.

October, 2002: Brett Favre considers retirement.

January 10, 2005: Brett Favre considers retirement.

April 1, 2006: Brett Favre considers retirement.

March 6, 2008: Brett Favre announces his retirement.

February 11, 2009: Brett Favre announces his retirement.

July 29, 2009: Brett Favre announces his retirement.

You are making my point for me and doing a very good job so Thank You. I hope that everyone see this.

According to your research, Favre didn't even retire, officially, until 3 seasons after the Packers drafted Rodgers.

Hell Peyton has talked about retirement before. Does that mean the Colts should go draft the best QB they can, in the first round, next year? The answer is NO.

The Packers Bleeped UP! They Bleeped Up Bigger than poopy!

You are making my point for me and doing a very good job so Thank You. I hope that everyone see this.

According to your research, Favre didn't even retire, officially, until 3 seasons after the Packers drafted Rodgers.

Hell Peyton has talked about retirement before. Does that mean the Colts should go draft the best QB they can, in the first round, next year? The answer is NO.

The Packers Bleeped UP! They Bleeped Up Bigger than poopy!

The Packers made a move. That's their perogative. Its wasn;t designed to be beneficial in the short term. How can losing a guy like Favre ever be beneficial in the short term? But sooner or later, Favre really will retire and the Packers didn;t want to be standing around holding their jocks when he did. Get over it.

+1 You're absolutely right. Favre hasn't had a losing season for three years in a row, and two seasons were winning records. There's a good chance that he goes for three. No, Favre didn't make the playoffs last year, but his team was in contention through the final game of the season. Favre did get worse the latter part of the season, but we know the medical reason why. Now you may be skeptical, and say that's an excuse, but the NFL is either doing a dog-n-pony show to support Favre's story by fining the Jets, or it's simply the truth.

If you've been reading Don Banks lately, he spent his summer SI columns telling us all how sick he is of Favre, so sick that he has to write about it. In August, he wrote about how he hates NFL pre-season, then filled his column with his pre-cum love for Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers' dominant preseason performances. On September 16th, he ranked the Green Bay Packers as the number three (3) team in his NFL power rankings. I'm not kidding. See link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...ek.2/index.html For a writer, who claims to hate the pre-season, he sure does allow himself to get worked up quickly over some cheese that looked like it shouldn't have been served against the Bengals..

My point is that Aaron Rodgers put up gaudy numbers last season, but he hasn't won anything. Just like Jay Cutler put up gaudy numbers last season, but he won nothing. It appears that a lot of Packers fans believe that the QB position is just fine, but the jury is still out. Let's not let gaudy passing statistics blind us to the fact that they had a losing record last season. Being the QB is more than just putting up numbers, it's about being a leader. Yes, that comes with experience, and Rodgers may end up being as successful as Steve Young was to following Joe Montana.

I think one of the points here that Mr. Hammock is making is that the Green Bay organization had that proven leader in Favre ready to return in 2008, from not only an excellent statistical season, but also a winning season. He wasn't injured like Montana, when he lost his job to Young. And it does appear that Favre's indecisiveness led the Green Bay organization to go in another direction. However, that may have been a mistake. Sometimes you have to treat the superstars differently beyond their paychecks and put up with their sh@#t. Green Bay said no more.

One could say that Green Bay had all the elements in place to take the next step, but decided to go with a less experienced QB, thus they went backwards. One may also say that the defense was the problem, and with or without Favre, the team was on the decline. Some may say playing a tougher schedule exposed the team's weaknesses. Some think that the 20008 Packers would have been worse with Favre. But there is always that "what if" factor. What if the Packers had brought him back? Maybe the Packers wouldn't have fallen flat on their face. We will never know. The main point of this thread, is that this subject is a sore spot for the Packers - a fresh open wound that hasn't healed. And this thread appears to be an example of Mr. Hammock's love for poking at that sore as much as he can so it won't heal, and the Packers fans won't move on.

Will Green Bay regret their decision? Win or lose this season, I don't think they will. If San Francisco didn't regret cutting ties with Joe Montana, then I don't think Green Bay regrets their decision. Of course, it's always possible that Favre pulls a Babe Ruth on them. Joe Montana will always be associated with San Francisco, and Brett Favre will always be associated with Green Bay. And yes, Favre will go into the HOF as a Packer, and he will attend events for the Packers and be an ambassador for them in the future, because he will get attention and enjoy it. Everyone will forgive and forget and remember the good times.

Favre faces the Packers twice this season. The Packer wound is fresh and open for both Packers fans and for Favre. You couldn't ask for better drama in the NFL. The sore is prime for poking at. It's so good, it's as if it were scripted.

I like your post and respect your opinion, but there are some things that your posts is just not explaining correctly.

Rest assured that I am not poking fun at anyone here. What has happened to the Packer fans is a disgrace. It would be much better if they went 6-10 last year or even 3-13 if it meant that Favre retired as a Packer. I am sure a losing season would have opened the door for Favre to walk through, on his own terms. It would have given him closure. As it sets he still doesn't have that closure because he hasn't suffered through a terrible season that helped him make that tough decision to just call it quits. And he sure and the hell didn't get any positive support from the Green Bay packers. They wanted him gone in 2006. That's the only reason why you draft a QB in the first round in 2005.

Steve Young won a Super Bowl and that's the only reason why the 49ers don't regret letting Montana go. I don't see Rodgers pulling that one off. I think it would be a miracle at this point. Montana moved on and still played pretty well in KC. Had Young fell on his face, that decision would have been just as bad for the 49ers.

It has to be very very tough for Packer fans to have to watch Favre in a Vikings uniform. I blame that solely on the Green Bay Packers organization. They Bleeped Up!

Edited by Mr Hammock

Link please

I have heard him talk about it a few times. He even mentioned it last night a little on the Sunday Night Conversation (ESPN). Just watch that and see how he feels seeing Favre in a Vikings uniform.

Loyalty will take you far in life if you put that Loyalty in the right persons hands.

I have heard him talk about it a few times. He even mentioned it last night a little on the Sunday Night Conversation (ESPN). Just watch that and see how he feels seeing Favre in a Vikings uniform.

Loyalty will take you far in life if you put that Loyalty in the right persons hands.

That's what I thought, so you have nothing to back it up with.

Reality is that Favre is the only player, especially a QB, that essentially held his team hostage. Thanks for proving everyone else's point.

The Packers made a move. That's their perogative. Its wasn;t designed to be beneficial in the short term. How can losing a guy like Favre ever be beneficial in the short term? But sooner or later, Favre really will retire and the Packers didn;t want to be standing around holding their jocks when he did. Get over it.

Let me get your position correct here:

You're saying that they made the move to push Favre out the door so they wouldn't be stuck holding their jocks. That's what you are saying right?

Then answer this:

What are they doing now?

What do they do five years after Favre retires and is a first ballot Hall of Famer?

How can they respect themselves or any decision they have made concerning Favre, in the past 5 years?

That's what I thought, so you have nothing to back it up with.

Reality is that Favre is the only player, especially a QB, that essentially held his team hostage. Thanks for proving everyone else's point.

Don't twist this into me saying that Peyton was retiring. I never said that. He has talked about life after retirement. That's the truth.

What does Jim Irsay do? Irsay is locking him up with a NEW multiyear contract THIS SEASON!

That's Loyalty!

I have a lot of work to do so I can retire with enough money to live the rest of my life. I'll keep the debate going later tonight if anyone wants to.

I do respect all of your opinions, but how the Packers handled this whole situation is disturbing and no great player in the NFL should be treated that way.

I don't want to see Peyton, Brady, Big Ben, or even Eli in a different uniform and if their teams can make that happen then great for them and great for their fans bases, because the way great players are treated these days are just mind boggling to me. Now don't get me wrong, if it's about money then a team has to do what they have to do. But if it's about a declining QB, who has been the heart and soul of your team for 15 years then shame on the organization for EVER allowing that great QB to play for another team. It's disgraceful and the Packers handled as bad as it could have ever been handled. The Packers are an absolute terrible organization!

Let me get your position correct here:

You're saying that they made the move to push Favre out the door so they wouldn't be stuck holding their jocks. That's what you are saying right?

Then answer this:

What are they doing now?

What do they do five years after Favre retires and is a first ballot Hall of Famer?

How can they respect themselves or any decision they have made concerning Favre, in the past 5 years?

How do you know what is going to happen? Maybe he'll pull an Emmitt Smith and get signed to a 1 day contract so he can retire as a Packer. He repeatedly insinuated that he was going to retire. He was getting old, in pain. The Packers drafter a replacement. Are you suggesting they should have let Rodgers go and keep Favre?

I have a lot of work to do so I can retire with enough money to live the rest of my life. I'll keep the debate going later tonight if anyone wants to.

I do respect all of your opinions, but how the Packers handled this whole situation is disturbing and no great player in the NFL should be treated that way.

I don't want to see Peyton, Brady, Big Ben, or even Eli in a different uniform and if their teams can make that happen then great for them and great for their fans bases, because the way great players are treated these days are just mind boggling to me. Now don't get me wrong, if it's about money then a team has to do what they have to do. But if it's about a declining QB, who has been the heart and soul of your team for 15 years then shame on the organization for EVER allowing that great QB to play for another team. It's disgraceful and the Packers handled as bad as it could have ever been handled. The Packers are an absolute terrible organization!

Sending out :wacko: opinions as facts isn't a debate.