[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kid Gets Hurt

i_am_the_swammi

Sit down with your son and ask him what you did wrong that you should apologize for if he can justify it then say your sorry if he can't then he will know why.

As far as your wife's reaction all you have to do is watch some young girls playing sports....they apologize for everything including winning.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing is wrong with that at all.

In this case semantics appear to be important, though. Swammi's wife seemed to think he was in the wrong for not apologizing for his hurting their son. If she were just mad because he didn't express sorrow that their son had received an injury then I don't think this thread would even be here.

Bingo, and that was my point to my wife.

I felt that by consoling him, giving him a hug, encouraging him to dust himself off, etc.....that I was indeed expressing sorrow for his misfortune. I didn't feel this was a circumstance for an apology.

More importantly, since saying "I'm sorry" carries the unfortunate distinction of admitting guilt (in most cases, and certainly in the eyes of a naive 9 year old), I don't want him to feel he needs to apologize if indeed this happens to him and one of his buddies. He can make sure they are OK, but I don't want him to feel guilty/badly for playing a sport if someone gets hurt when he does nothing wrong.

I remember being 7 years old when my Dad used to hit me in the face with baseballs and bats. It showed he cared since he wanted to spend those few precious minutes together taking the time with me and I would never request an apology. He kept showing me no mercy and kept throwing beanball after beanball after beanball along with various tools and lawncare equipment. He said the number one rule of baseball was if you can't stand in there when a shovel is being flung at you high and inside, then you are worthless. I still remember the time I managed to lay down a bunt single by finally hitting a ball peen hammer and he didn't talk to me for 6 weeks until he needed me to go to the store and buy his beer. I asked my Mom if Dad loved us and she told me that he loves everyone that leaves him alone and doesn't cry too hard when smacked around.

I remember being 7 years old when my Dad used to hit me in the face with baseballs and bats. It showed he cared since he wanted to spend those few precious minutes together taking the time with me and I would never request an apology. He kept showing me no mercy and kept throwing beanball after beanball after beanball along with various tools and lawncare equipment. He said the number one rule of baseball was if you can't stand in there when a shovel is being flung at you high and inside, then you are worthless. I still remember the time I managed to lay down a bunt single by finally hitting a ball peen hammer and he didn't talk to me for 6 weeks until he needed me to go to the store and buy his beer. I asked my Mom if Dad loved us and she told me that he loves everyone that leaves him alone and doesn't cry too hard when smacked around.

Was you Father named Patches by any chance? :wacko:

[Patches O'Houlihan] If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball. [/Patches O'Houlihan]