[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Eight Out of Ten Economists say Recovery is Beginning

cre8tiff

I hope they are correct. I've said all along the fundamentals of our local economy are strong, but everyone is sitting on the fence in fear. Hopefully that fear will subside. I honestly think if Obama had tabled any discussion on health care reform, and any new taxes, fees, or environmental restrictions we'd be much farther along than we already are. Can we take the unspent portion of the stimulus package an either pay off some of the national debt or give it back to the tax payers.

I wish I could remember where the stats were from that I saw this morning ... so, these may not be spot-on, but they are close:

1960: 60% of annual household income was carried in household debt

1990: 90% of annual household income was carried in household debt

2008: 138% of annual household income was carried in household debt

today: 128% of annual household income is carried in household debt

I think everyone wants our economy to recover regardless of who is in office (or despite who is in office).

I think you are very wrong. I think many republicans truly hope this drags out at thru 2012. If it does, it increases their chances to take back congress and the white house. To be fair, if it were a republican congress/white house, the democrats would hope the economic woes continue.

And to be clear, I'm talking primarily about republicans who are in office but I also believe a large number of their supporters would be quite happy if the recession continues thru 2012.

I think you are very wrong. I think many republicans truly hope this drags out at thru 2012. If it does, it increases their chances to take back congress and the white house. To be fair, if it were a republican congress/white house, the democrats would hope the economic woes continue.

And to be clear, I'm talking primarily about republicans who are in office but I also believe a large number of their supporters would be quite happy if the recession continues thru 2012.

Yup.

In a nut shell this is what is wrong with the system. Politicians could give a rats ass about us. It really only comes down to votes and control for them.

Yup.

In a nut shell this is what is wrong with the system. Politicians could give a rats ass about us. It really only comes down to votes and control for them.

so we should all run for office..... :wacko:

I hate the fact that I think this is so true that it is pretty obvious. It sucks that people can clearly see it this way.

I wish I could remember where the stats were from that I saw this morning ... so, these may not be spot-on, but they are close:

1960: 60% of annual household income was carried in household debt

1990: 90% of annual household income was carried in household debt

2008: 138% of annual household income was carried in household debt

today: 128% of annual household income is carried in household debt

What, exactly, does "carried in household debt" mean?

What, exactly, does "carried in household debt" mean?

I don't know; my inexact memory isn't helping us out ... the point is that debt levels for American households is about 2x what it was about 50yrs ago ... and all that means is that the typical household has less economic margin of error if something bad befalls them ... which means that while the recovery may be beginning, things won't be uber rosy for quite some time.

A couple of people I know (and respect) are thinking that total returns for the large cap US equity market will be in the 3-4% / yr range for the next decade ... with lots of volatility in the interim ...

anything under 100% and your running a surplus. anything over 100% and you are in debt. most households these days are in debt.

Well, duh.

I'm just speaking of how the 100% is determined. My household has an income of about $65-70k but our total debt is around $100k, mortgage included.

Take OUT the mortgage and it's about $5k in consumer debt.

Calculate how much "annual household income is carried in debt"?

Well, duh.

I'm just speaking of how the 100% is determined. My household has an income of about $65-70k but our total debt is around $100k, mortgage included.

Take OUT the mortgage and it's about $5k in consumer debt.

Calculate how much "annual household income is carried in debt"?

what are your monthly incomes and expenses?

or just take your total monthly expenses(debts) and divide that by your total monthly income(after taxes).

Edited by dmarc117