[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Grad School

Brentastic

In reality - how important is the school? I live in Chicago and would like to start my Masters degree this coming January. DePaul is first on my list, however, I have co-workers who have received their Masters from Keller (DeVry) and Roosevelt. The latter two are obviously cheaper and in fact, Keller does not require a GMAT to enroll. Working full time, having a 14 month old and another on the way (in April) - obviously, I'd like to take the easiest and cheapest route, however, if the easier/cheaper route will limit my upside, then I don't want to do it that way.

So, how important is the school? Is a school (like Keller) going to be frowned upon if they don't require a GMAT to enroll?

Thanks huddlers.

Certainly you will get exposed to different things depending on the school. The quality of your education can be vastly impacted by these experiences and opportunites. However, having your ticket punched is probably more important than the name on the sheepskin. Of course, you're best calling card is your work experience and recommendations.

That being said, if you're looking to just grow with your company then the name means little. If you are looking to change careers, then the name may be more important. For example, if you wanted to go into research, then attending a large research oriented program would be more important than just getting a degree.

depends on the industry- but I can tell you a Bachelors and Masters is becoming more and more important. Alot of companies we work with value degrees a great deal - and yes I think a masters from DePaul carries alot more weight than Devry. More and more of our clients require degrees without exception and technically, Microsoft will not even look at candidates with Computer Science degrees from DeVry - there are exceptions but there is a feeling among employers that the U of Phoenix and DeVry's aren't worth a chit, and nearly not as much as a respected school.

I put anything DeVry related just slightly ahead of University of Phoenix in the "worth" category. From what I've always have heard, it's better then nothing, but it's not the same as a traditional university. People have reported that the for-profit universities like DeVry and UofP didn't qualify them for further degree programs or certification tests. They are accredited, but check around to make sure that accreditation is really worth anything.

Give a Call to DePaul's graduate admissions office. I'm sure they would be more then happy to tell you why you shouldn't go to Keller/DeVry.

Have you looked at any state schools? They will probably be far cheaper and mean just as much if not more then Devry. For instance, Indiana and Purdue have a regional campus (Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne). Graduate tuition is $284 per credit hour (plus some additional campus/student fees). That's less then 1/2 what Devry charges per credit hour and i believe 1/3 what DePaul does. Almost every business around here happily "accepts" an IPFW MBA without any qualms about it.

depends on the industry- but I can tell you a Bachelors and Masters is becoming more and more important. Alot of companies we work with value degrees a great deal - and yes I think a masters from DePaul carries alot more weight than Devry. More and more of our clients require degrees without exception and technically, Microsoft will not even look at candidates with Computer Science degrees from DeVry - there are exceptions but there is a feeling among employers that the U of Phoenix and DeVry's aren't worth a chit, and nearly not as much as a respected school.

Good info there.

Brent,

In Chi you have many options. DePaul is a very good one, of course NW and U of Chicago are top of the heap. Assuming you want an MBA, stick to the established/well respected schools. Business can be finicky about graduate degrees from schools that appear to be paper mills. The money differential will be insignificant after a few years.

ETA:

A very good friend of mine is the Registrar (could just be undergrad, but I'm unsure) at Loyola. Let me know if you want to contact her or go to their website.

Edited by rocknrobn26

For example, if you wanted to go into research, then attending a large research oriented program would be more important than just getting a degree.

Good info here. To take it further, many schools have research-oriented programs in specific areas but quality and reputation still varies between them. There is usually a top dog in every field but of course it's typically the hardest to get in to.

Brent, I would also look into NIU and the University of Wisconsin Whitewater, as they have fantastic MBA online classes.

Thanks, I'm trying to avoid online courses. Since I work downtown in the loop, I'm trying to remain in that location or close. Appreciate the input though :D

FYI: Tuition for UIC's grad program is $48K :wacko: For a state school, I expected about half that. That's how much DePaul costs according to a co-worker who is currently in their grad program.

Edited by Brentastic

Talking with interviewers and interviewing people, I've found that where you get your Bachelor's from is irrelevant (aside from the elite schools). Just the fact that you have one is adequate. Bachelor level positions are more based on experience rather than education. It's the cherry on top of the sundae, if you will.

However, in speaking with these same people, it is VERY important that you get a Master's from a brick-and-mortar school. The more recognizable, the better. Master level positions are usually managerial/VP/high-responsibility jobs in which the employer wishes to see that education on your resume.

Full disclosure: I received my BS in Computer Science from University of Phoenix, and have never had any issues.

I'm a big fan of graduate degrees that are FOCUSED on preparing you to do something specific. A general MBA isn't focused. If there is demonstrable emphasis on finance or quantitative skills, that's different. But there's a lot of well-educated people who are unemployed these days. The relevant question is whether the degree will qualify you to do something that you currently cannot.

The name recognition of the program is a secondary concern, but its still relevant. Not just because status of a traditional experience versus online (and there is a difference), but because of things like strength of the career service center and the alumni network.

Edited by yo mama

I'm a big fan of graduate degrees that are FOCUSED on preparing you to do something specific. A general MBA isn't focused. If there is demonstrable emphasis on finance or quantitative skills, that's different. But there's a lot of well-educated people who are unemployed these days. The relevant question is whether the degree will qualify you to do something that you currently cannot.

The name recognition of the program is a secondary concern, but its still relevant. Not just because status of a traditional experience versus online (and there is a difference), but because of things like strength of the career service center and the alumni network.

I definitely plan on getting my MBA with a concentration on a specific area (financial analysis or applied economics). Ideally, I would chose economics but I fear they only teach keyensian philosophy which I don't agree with.

Brent, step back and think about this a minute. Do you REALLY want to spend all that time and money for generic, when for just a little more (relatively speaking) you can buy name-brand? I think going to Keller would be penny-wise, pound foolish, but that's just my opinion. I'm not saying it has to be DePaul or an expensive private school. I'm sure there's plenty of options in Chicago that would be a MUCH better investment than Keller (and yes, this would truly qualify as an investment). JMO :wacko:

I have a relative who runs an executive search company and he tells me that a degree from a school like Devry/Keller/UoP was not looked upon nearly as favorable as a degree from a more traditional program. In many cases, his clients would laugh at him for submitting the candidate. We all know you get out of education what you put into it, but unfortunately, name recognition does count.

If you want to do something in the world where you're interacting with clients (i.e., a mutual fund manager or investment analyst), you should get a brick-and-mortar MBA (or MS-Finance, which is a less common but worthwhile degree).

If you're going into something like, say, corporate treasury, or a mid-level management job at a non-financial firm, like say, Waste Management, then a Keller-ish MBA may be ok.

DISCLAIMER: I do not have a masters degree. However, I was accepted into an interesting online masters program via the University of London seven years ago, but haven't taken one class yet. Too many other responsibilities. :wacko:

Brent - what specifically are you looking to do in econ/finance? Part of the problem with an MBA is that it can be a generalist degree if not focused the right way (and is still largely a generalist degree even then). Do you really need an MBA to get to your next step or two?

I have a friend that finished her MBA at DePaul this June and loved the experience - she travels a lot internationally and really appreciated the flexibility of the curriculum. I don't know much about DeVry but would strongly recommend DePaul over it. The school has a great name in Chicagoland and the part-time program is very well done. While I know that there are a lot of good distance programs these days (IU does a good one), a huge part of the value of b-school is in the face-to-face interaction.

I'm just finishing up the first quarter of my MBA at Michigan and would be happy to help answer any questions you have (though I can't speak to part-time).

For the record, DePaul has been my top priority, however, if I don't have to pay $50K for a Masters then another option could be entertained, which is why I started this thread. After hearing your input along with others around me, I realize that going cheap and easy won't cut it and that's fine. Again, I don't have a money tree in my backyard, so that was the biggest reason for exploring other options. What's really surprising to me is that the state school UIC is just as expensive as DePaul - don't really get that one.

Fatman - ideally, I have a passion for prognosticating and forecasting. Economics is very interesting to me but so is investments and trading. One thing I know I don't want to do is anything involving selling to clients. Right now I'm a financial/business analyst and that's basically data gathering and reporting, I'd like to delve deeper into the decision making end of finance. Trading is something I did in the past but it was day trading and I think a longer-term trading strategy would be better for me. However, trading can be very stressful but I'm hoping to work for a company that has a method of trading that isn't as volatile as day trading.

Anyways, thanks for all the input. I hope to be enrolled in DePaul's grad program next semester.

Edited by Brentastic

I know nothing about MBA's other than they exist and that I can spell MBA.

However this is my experience, I am enrolled in a 1/2 online program from a school most people have never heard of. However our department is one of the most respected in the world. I have no idea if MBA programs can be like that.

Talking with interviewers and interviewing people, I've found that where you get your Bachelor's from is irrelevant (aside from the elite schools). Just the fact that you have one is adequate. Bachelor level positions are more based on experience rather than education. It's the cherry on top of the sundae, if you will.

However, in speaking with these same people, it is VERY important that you get a Master's from a brick-and-mortar school. The more recognizable, the better. Master level positions are usually managerial/VP/high-responsibility jobs in which the employer wishes to see that education on your resume.

Full disclosure: I received my BS in Computer Science from University of Phoenix, and have never had any issues.

This is incredibly untrue, but hey you're entitled to your opinion.

My :wacko:

I think it depends on the field and type of company you want to work for. I work in the investment field and in my field I would not recommend an MBA unless you go to a top 10 school. Most hedge funds, private equity funds or investment banks won't look at people unless they have a Harvard, Chicago, Wharton, Stanford type degree. Even small shops will only look at the next tier down. Don't know what it is in Chicago, but in Dallas, that would be University of Texas or Rice (and maybe SMU just due to the local network). However, even a TCU MBA (which is probably similar to Depaul) won't get you an interview at most top tier shops.

A TCU/Depaul level MBA will definitely get you in the door at many Fortune 1000 companies and if mid to upper management in a corporate environment is your goal, then go for it, money well spent.

An online MBA or even one from a lower tier brick and morter university is a waste in my opinion. I would much rather see someone get certified in their field than an MBA. I don't know if economics has a certification, but in investments a CFA or in accounting a CPA is as much or more valuable than an MBA.

Good luck.

For the record, DePaul has been my top priority, however, if I don't have to pay $50K for a Masters then another option could be entertained, which is why I started this thread. After hearing your input along with others around me, I realize that going cheap and easy won't cut it and that's fine. Again, I don't have a money tree in my backyard, so that was the biggest reason for exploring other options. What's really surprising to me is that the state school UIC is just as expensive as DePaul - don't really get that one.

Fatman - ideally, I have a passion for prognosticating and forecasting. Economics is very interesting to me but so is investments and trading. One thing I know I don't want to do is anything involving selling to clients. Right now I'm a financial/business analyst and that's basically data gathering and reporting, I'd like to delve deeper into the decision making end of finance. Trading is something I did in the past but it was day trading and I think a longer-term trading strategy would be better for me. However, trading can be very stressful but I'm hoping to work for a company that has a method of trading that isn't as volatile as day trading.

Anyways, thanks for all the input. I hope to be enrolled in DePaul's grad program next semester.

I think DePaul makes even more sense then. Best of luck.