[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who knows how to build a website?

I Like Soup

My Mom is a photographer and I've been after her to get a website set up with her work. My thinking is to help get her exposure and possibly a way to generate some sales. She hasn't done it and I figured I would just have one built for her as a Christmas present or something. I'd like the site to be set up where her pictures could be reviewed (and any commentary about the photos?) and also if someone wants to order (paypal?) or give feedback. Is that fairly easy to have set up in a user friendly fashion? Any ideas or Huddlers that have this experience? I'd like to pay a Huddler for their work if someone has the background...thanks!

My Mom is a photographer and I've been after her to get a website set up with her work. My thinking is to help get her exposure and possibly a way to generate some sales. She hasn't done it and I figured I would just have one built for her as a Christmas present or something. I'd like the site to be set up where her pictures could be reviewed (and any commentary about the photos?) and also if someone wants to order (paypal?) or give feedback. Is that fairly easy to have set up in a user friendly fashion? Any ideas or Huddlers that have this experience? I'd like to pay a Huddler for their work if someone has the background...thanks!

cliaz & cunning linguist for two. I do it as well, but I don't have time or inclination to any more.

twiley has a whole stable of folks that do this sort of thing, through his ad agency. Maybe he'll point you in the direction of a good freelancer.

Paypal is easy to set up, as is simple web forms for comments.

why not use smugmug? it's already built for photographers, works great, and allows folks to order right from the site ...

There are also some "stock photo" sites where they charge a nominal fee to sell your photos. These can be a good way to get started to promote her work and gets some sales, building a rep in the mean time. Also, if you do get her a site, make sure the photos are locked down (watermarked, copyrights, etc.) so that no one can pirate them (I think java can do that). If you would have asked this question about a year ago, a photo listserve I belong had a very spirited discussion on this issue. In the mean time I'll see if there is a way to get into the archives, assuming that's possible.

ETA:

I just emailed the list serve asking a few questions for you Soup. Would you be willing to join the listserve to get answers from some Pros? It's free of course and is from my CC that just got some major accreditation for the Arts. It's a very well respected program.

Edited by rocknrobn26

Soup, my company does websites and we do them very well but I'll be upfront - they're not cost effective for something you're probably looking to do. I'd say a minimum web package starts at 2K with us and that's pretty basic but like I said, we're good at what we do. Shoot me a pm on how much you'd like to spend and I'll see if I can figure something out for you.

Edit: I'm assuming your mom is going to want to update the site on her own so in order to keep it cheap we would recommend something in wordpress or joomla. We typically setup a custom admin section for clients that isn't as clunky as these but with anything custom it isn't budget friendly.

Edited by twiley

Soup, my company does websites and we do them very well but I'll be upfront - they're not cost effective for something you're probably looking to do. I'd say a minimum web package starts at 2K with us and that's pretty basic but like I said, we're good at what we do. Shoot me a pm on how much you'd like to spend and I'll see if I can figure something out for you.

Edit: I'm assuming your mom is going to want to update the site on her own so in order to keep it cheap we would recommend something in wordpress or joomla. We typically setup a custom admin section for clients that isn't as clunky as these but with anything custom it isn't budget friendly.

Don't you know the owner of the Company :wacko:

J/K Tom

Bolded for truthitude. There are also TONS of free Wordpress themes out there. I would also suggest doing what a couple of others said and just go with an established site that already has a foothold in her area and try displaying/selling some stuff through there.

I also do Web development so if you have any questions about any of the technical stuff just ask.

Good luck.