[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Plumber help

whoopazz

The tub in the girls bathroom leaks down into the kitchen when the shower is used (sometimes). I've had two plumbers over and they have not solved the mystery. I now have a large hole in the kitchen ceiling for observation, and a hole in the linen closet behind the tub's hardware. I can see the water at the base of the tubs outer shell, above the ceiling joist, on the plywood floor near the linen closet (corner of the tub). I can't however, figure out where the hell it is coming from. It is not on the outside floor tile nor running down the inside of the tub wall, or visible basically anywhere. Just on the plywood floor, just under the outside shell and above the joist.

I've caulked the hell out of everything, made sure I have a well fitting shower curtain, and checked all the plumbing. Everything looks fine. This is drivin' me nuts. Any ideas?

Edited by whoopazz

Is there a soap dish on the shower wall? Seen this as a leak issue quite a few times. Also check the shower handles, spout and over flow. Over flow could also be leaking in the inside. Ad CD said it could also be the shower arm.

I had a problem like that and it turned out the grout was bad, eventhough it didn't look bad. The wall was soft behind the tiles so I had them replaced (about 4-5 courses) regrouted, problem solved.

If it's only when the shower is on it's probably the fitting where the shower head screws into the wall up high.
It could also be around the handle(s) or tub faucet as the water from the shower gets splashed in these areas. I had this exact issue myself once.

Since you now have a way to observe underneath and behind the fixtures. You could pour water (a spray/squirt bottle might be better) on/around the suspected leak areas and observe. Do one area at a time (rather than just using the shower and splashing around). Have someone reasonably heavy stand and move around in the tub as well to see if flexing the tub floor/sides reveals leaks as well.

I haven't tried it, but adding food coloring to the water may help you see the leak as it might be very small.

I had a hairline crack in my upstairs tub. I am quite surprised I found it. I tore the dry wall out of the ceiling and check all the fittings until I figured it out. Once I found the crack I barely pushed it with my finger and caused a nickle size hole. $10 later and a fiberglass fix it kit I was rolling...

Some friends have two boys about 6 and 10. Two of their tubs were leaking and ceilings showing the damage.

Ended up they let the boys take their baths with little metal toy airplanes with the pointy noses. Apparently, they boys pushed the noses into the tub and created hundreds of little pin holes.

They love their two new upgraded bathrooms now after extensive remodels

I do plumbing repairs. Try this. Fill the tub with water and let it sit awhile. Then check for leaks under the tub and drain area. If thats ok turn on the shower and then check for leaks especially around the stems and riser pipe to the showerhead. Do this from the back of the tub if possible.

Supper break. Keep us posted.