[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

On the Heels of the Geocities Thread

darin3

I'm assuming most of us had some kind of foray either in message boards, chat rooms, bulletin board services, etc. before The Huddle's boards gobbled us up like little crumbs.

Some of you have already come clean in the Geocities thread... but didn't want to get this likely very funny and potentially coincidental topic lost in that thread.

Me? I was a regular on IRC (Internet Relay Chat). I was on EFNet and frequented a few "channels" (rooms).

You?

:wacko::D

Re chatty stuff, Prodigy msg boads here and there. Generally, got into downloading software off of some local BBs for awhile. GB free stuff.

PS had AOL for awhile and also tried their chat rooms a time or 3 but quickly found out that apparently no one past the age of 6 goes there so never went back. Even given that, it was odd to the point of scary.....although kind of amazing how everyone could talk and talk and not say a single thing.

Edited by BeeR

Back in high school (90-91) I used to dial in to Bruce's Bar and Grill with my PC, and sometimes into The Win Tower which ironically was a C64 BBS... which at the time was already retro.

At college we had a mainframe system on campus that had chat rooms. After I got fooled by my first really fat chick freshman year (92), I swore off chat rooms until the Skybox opened.

Edited by AtomicCEO

At college we had a mainframe system on campus that had chat rooms. After I got fooled by my first really fat chick freshman year (92), I swore off chat rooms until the Skybox opened.

IRC was a frickin' gold mine for me in college. :wacko:

Edited by darin3

I didn't say I didn't hit it.

When I was a junior, I was in the #UCSB room and some broad on the swim team was on from her dorm room. After a couple of chats, she invited me over to the dorms to :2cents::D:yay: ... I think we talked like 2-3 more times that year and then :2cents:

The next year, I was with a few fraternity brothers... out at the fields taking my cleats off after a flag football game, and she sees me and comes up to us..

Chick: :2cents: Hey Darin!

Me: :yay:

Chick: :2cents: It's Stephanie, you know, from last year?

Me: :D

Chick: :2cents: From the dorm.

Me: :wacko:

Chick: :2cents:

Me: :D

My buddies: :D:2cents::2cents:

I remember that as well as some other FF message boards. Occassional foray into an AOL chat room. Other than that, I used to actually talk to real flesh and blood people.

Probably the reason I was reluctant to come to the boards here. I had years of activity on IRC and grew tired of it.