[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

To Hell With Turkey

SheikYerbuti

My wife makes turkey soup (based loosely on a recipe by emeril lagassee). She makes the stock from scratch as well. I think I enjoy the soup more than I enjoy my Thanksgiving dinner. It's so good it makes me cry.

I've decided. This is the year. I'm just not doing it. I'm not making a turkey on Thanksgiving.

Turkey is just a huge pain in the rear. The white and dark meat don't cook at the same rate, so one of them is always incorrect. It takes hours. Carving is a hastle. Dressing it for the oven is a pain. When it comes out you have to tent it for a half an hour, then break out the power tools to get it to the table.

This year I'm doing individual game hens and a glazed spiral ham. Plus all the sides (stuffing, sweet potato casserole, the ubiquitous green bean casserole, etc).

Anyone else want to join the anti-turkey revolution?

No, I think Turkey is easy to cook.

That would be a lot of typing.

It's in the book, "Emeril's New Orleans Cooking" there is a recipe for Basic Chicken Stock and Dr. E's Get Well Chicken Vegetable Soup. I haven't done a search online but they may be there.

Obviously, my wife uses the left over turkey/bones. She doubles the stock recipe and if there is any left over, she just freezes it. She said that she can't be exact on proportions she uses of ingredients because it depends on how much turkey we have left over. We usually have a giant stock pot full of soup when all is said and done.

She also just said that making the soup is time consuming and there's a lot of prep work but "it makes a ton and you can freeze it so it's worth it."

It is very well worth it.

Turkey is just a huge pain in the rear...

If dealing with the full bird is too much trouble, and you are only serving to a few people, how about just getting a turkey breast or two? At least that way, you still get white meat left overs for sammiches.

If dealing with the full bird is too much trouble, and you are only serving to a few people, how about just getting a turkey breast or two? At least that way, you still get white meat left overs for sammiches.

nod... or breaking the whole bird down before cooking. can pull pieces out when done.

nod... or breaking the whole bird down before cooking. can pull pieces out when done.

I like that. Since I never do stuffing inside the bird anyway, cooking it already broken down is def the way to go.

"The heavenly aroma still hung in the house. But it was gone, all gone! No turkey! No turkey sandwiches! No turkey salad! No turkey gravy! Turkey Hash! Turkey A La King! Or gallons of turkey soup! Gone, ALL GONE!"

Sons a Bitchin' Bumpusses!

BTW, if my family ever gave me chicken or game fowl for Thanksgiving, I'd have to shove the leg in an undisclosed location and leave!

Went to the store today to buy all the ingredients for Thursday. . .

Me: So I'm thinking of doing game hens and a spiral ham this year.

Sheikette: You know we spent enough on groceries at this store that we qualify for a free 20 pound turkey, right? Hens and ham are going to cost you around $40.

Me: So, $40 and sacrilege or spend nothing and give the family what they want?

Sheikette: :D Your choice, dear. . .

Me: :wacko: Pick out the biggest bird you can find. . .