[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The baddest of the bad-asses

BeeR

Was just thinking of some of the guys people typically think of when they think of some of the toughest badasses gone by even if in diff. ways, like Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris (I don't get the He-is-God jokes and there are plenty on the other thread FYI), Tex Cobb, maybe a few football players, maybe even a few "wrasslers" etc (open to ideas). If you could match them against each other all in their prime, how do you think they'd stack up? I think logically the martial arts guys would usually kick the #$@! out of the street brawlers, so this might end up just a "who was the baddest martial arts guy"......but as the old joke goes, size does matter (to some degree), plus some guys could take horrific blows and keep going (I don't mean ridiculous like in the movies though), which could factor in too.

Does Lee still stand on top?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was just thinking of some of the guys people typically think of when they think of some of the toughest badasses gone by even if in diff. ways, like Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris (I don't get the He-is-God jokes and there are plenty on the other thread FYI), Tex Cobb, maybe a few football players, maybe even a few "wrasslers" etc (open to ideas). If you could match them against each other all in their prime, how do you think they'd stack up? I think logically the martial arts guys would usually kick the #$@! out of the street brawlers, so this might end up just a "who was the baddest martial arts guy"......but as the old joke goes, size does matter (to some degree), plus some guys could take horrific blows and keep going (I don't mean ridiculous like in the movies though), which could factor in too.

I dunno about that. People in UFC who don't have some kind of grappling training tend to get worked. I'd put Tank A. up against a lot of people and fully expect an assss whooping.

Sanshou (sanda, Chinese boxing)

Cung Le is undefeated in his professional Sanshou career (17-0-0).[5] He has won three US Open International Martial Arts Championships (1994, 1995,1996). He has also won 4 US National Championships (Orlando, Florida 1994, Dallas, TX, 1995, Baltimore, MD, 1997). He earned three bronze medals in his amateur Sanshou world competition. He has been a three-time captain of the United States teams that competed and was the U.S. team captain at the World Wushu Championships in 1997 (Italy) and 1999 (Hong Kong). On December 15, 2001 he defeated Shonie Carter by unanimous decision in San Jose, California to win the IKF Pro Light-Heavyweight San Shou World Title.[5] In May 2003, Le entered into K-1 competitions where he garnered a 3-0 career record, including 1 knockout.[5]

[edit] MMA career

Cung Le and Frank Shamrock after their bout.

Le made his mixed martial arts debut at Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Gracie on March 10, 2006, at the HP Pavilion at San Jose, knocking out kickboxing rival Mike Altman at 3:51 of the first round. Three months later he faced KOTC veteran Brian Warren, knocking him out with a flurry of punches at 4:19 of the first round. At Strikeforce: Triple Threat on December 8, 2006, Le defeated Jason Von Flue in 0:43 when the fight had to be stopped due to a cut.

Le went on to fight the veteran Tony Fryklund who had just suffered a spectacular loss to Anderson Silva one year prior. Like Silva, Le beat Fryklund via KO late in the third round. Soon after Le fought Sammy Morgan at Strikeforce: Four Men Enter, One Man Survives. He utilized his throws to keep Morgan off and won the bout via TKO.

On March 29, 2008, Le defeated a long time MMA veteran Frank Shamrock in a fight co-promoted by Strikeforce and EliteXC at the HP Pavilion in San Jose. Le won via TKO when Frank Shamrocks' right arm was broken after a series of kicks (ulna broken), making him Strikeforce Middleweight Champion.

On September 17, 2009, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker announced that Le had relinquished his belt after securing another major motion picture deal. It was also announced that a bout between Jake Shields and Jason 'Mayhem' Miller will now be for Le's old title.[6]

Le will return to Strikeforce to face Scott Smith at Strikeforce: Evolution on December 19th, 2009.

Randall Texx Cobb was one of those guys. Larry Holmes beat him to a pulp but he just kept coming and coming. It was nuts. As far as Hollywood types Chuck Zito is pretty bad ass but I think he is in his 50's now. Im sure he can still hold his own but a younger fighter might handle him now.

I dont follow MMA that much.

I think I would still give the nod to Bruce Lee. Dude was lightning fast and powerful

Bruce Lee still tops.

Did you know that in 'Enter the Dragon' all his moves and fight scenes were NOT staged?

Except for the stupid, 'jump over the wall from a standing position' shot.

Oh and, he kicked Chuck Norris' butt in Return of the Dragon......

HUGH Bruce Lee fan here.

two words.........van damme

Chuck Zito (mentioned above), while working as his body guard, kicked the crap out of van Damme. Besides, I think Soup is taller than van Damme.

You guys watch too many movies. Segal, Bruce Lee, Van Damme, etc...would get their azzes handed to them in the UFC. Real fighting technique doesn't translate well to movies and movie fighting technique will get you killed against a real fighter.

I agree with this somewhat. There are a couple issues that would have to be resolved first. Are there rules? Are they in a cage?

I don't think that you can dismiss Bruce Lee that easily, particularly in an all out brawl with no rules, ring or cage, By all accounts, the guy was a special fighter. The chief issues with him are his size (~150 lbs) and a presumable lack of wrestling skills. Those drawbacks are not as noticeable if they are not confined by a cage, etc. It would be much more difficult for the Brock Lesnars of the world to grab him.

Chuch Norris was a real fighter and probably the toughest of the Hollywood lot. (Although I'm not sure what kind of shape he is in).

Fedor Emelianenko is probably the baddest man alive right now.

Edited by Furd

You guys watch too many movies. Segal, Bruce Lee, Van Damme, etc...would get their azzes handed to them in the UFC. Real fighting technique doesn't translate well to movies and movie fighting technique will get you killed against a real fighter.

I do agree with you for the most part, especially regarding Van Damme, but Bruce Lee and Seagal were both very well respected martial artists before moving on to movies. Seagal is a master in Aikido and Lee was trained in several fighting styles including boxing. Lee might lose to a UFC guy in a cage or something, but if space were not limited (i.e... a street fight), I think Lee could hang with the best of them and I think Seagal could do the same. Movie stars or not, being masters in any type of martial arts is nothing to sneeze at?

A 20-year-old Mike Tyson? He was the baddest man I ever saw.

I have to agree with this ... He was scary

Royce Gracie was phenomenal given his size and weight ...he was not a big , muscular guy but he took them all out when they faced him in the ring

all in all i do still beleive Bruce Lee was the man as he basically put martial arts on the map and in the forefront of Western Culture more than anyone else