[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Quinton Ganther

jkelly17

News: Earlier Wednesday it was reported that Redskins RB Rock Cartwright said that Quinton Ganther would start at Oakland in Week 14, signaling the fourth starting running back for the Redskins this season. While head coach Jim Zorn admitted that Ganther would indeed start, it wasn't a guarantee of playing time. "Rock's going to play," Zorn said of Cartwright. "We'll decide, at some point, what's going to happen and what the rotation is going to be. But [Ganther] will take the first snap." Zorn said earlier in the week that RB Marcus Mason would also be involved, though it's expected that he won't see more than five

cbs

This is getting old. I've used 23 out of 25 moves and have so far:

-Picked up C. Jennings to find that J. Harrison gets the lion's share of work

-Picked up Rock to find he's not getting the lion's share of work.

I expect some of this but twice in the last two weeks? *charlie brown ARGHHH*

I met Ganther in Huntsville Al. when he was playing for the Titans. He is a really great guy. I don't have him on any of my teams, I just hope he does well. He was very gracious and was way more than kind when it came to talking about football. I tried to get him when he started showing up on league WW but everybody beat me to it. I thought it would be cool to play a guy I had met!

so is everyone agreeing he has a good game against oakland?

I think he has a great opportunity to do so. However, how much of the other RBs will we see mixed in or will the Skins run Ganther a bunch to see what they have in him while only using Cartwright to give him a breather? It's easier to throw him out there if you don't have much riding on the game but if you're on the verge of a playoff spot and bench a guy like McCoy or Barber for him, it's much more risky.

Edited by irish

I think he has a great opportunity to do so. However, how much of the other RBs will we see mixed in or will the Skins run Ganther a bunch to see what they have in him while only using Cartwright to give him a breather? It's easier to throw him out there if you don't have much riding on the game but if you're on the verge of a playoff spot and bench a guy like McCoy or Barber for him, it's much more risky.

Oh crud, I forgot to grab him in JLA.

News: Earlier Wednesday it was reported that Redskins RB Rock Cartwright said that Quinton Ganther would start at Oakland in Week 14, signaling the fourth starting running back for the Redskins this season. While head coach Jim Zorn admitted that Ganther would indeed start, it wasn't a guarantee of playing time. "Rock's going to play," Zorn said of Cartwright. "We'll decide, at some point, what's going to happen and what the rotation is going to be. But [Ganther] will take the first snap." Zorn said earlier in the week that RB Marcus Mason would also be involved, though it's expected that he won't see more than five

cbs

Well, what the heck does that mean? It used to be if you were the starter, then you were the man and you got the majority of the carries. Are you implying otherwise? Arrgh.

From readin this is sounds like Rock himself does not expect to do much other then special teams, Right out of Rocks mouth so I expect 80% of the runs to be with Ganther. againt oakland thats enough to do some damage.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/b...s-78910917.html

Quinton Ganther will start at running back. It's official.

Zorn on what he likes about Ganther: "His burst through the hole. He does a nice job as he runs the runs that are called, pressing the hole and then bursting through it. It's not easy to break down and it's not hard to see that burst."

...Rock Cartwright wasn't happy about being demoted -- again. We'll have more about that in Thursday's paper, but one snippet was this one: "It’s kind of hard for a running back to get in a rhythm when you have five carries in the first series and then you don’t carry the ball again until the second half. It’s hard to produce that way. Going into the game and telling a back you’re going to take two series and this guy is going to take two series, it’s kind of hard to get hot. When you’re doing running back by committee, you’ve kind of got to go off of feel, who’s playing better. When you get somebody five carries in the first half and they don’t play no more until the second half, of course you can’t expect somebody to go out and be fresh right then. I mean, i can't control it so i’m not going to worry about it. I’m just going to do my part on special teams. I’m glad to be back with my guys on special teams. I’m going to go back to being the No. 1 guy on kickoff returns, hopefully. So I’m looking forward to the opportunity."

Edited by damageinc

From readin this is sounds like Rock himself does not expect to do much other then special teams, Right out of Rocks mouth so I expect 80% of the runs to be with Ganther. againt oakland thats enough to do some damage.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/b...s-78910917.html

Quinton Ganther will start at running back. It's official.

Zorn on what he likes about Ganther: "His burst through the hole. He does a nice job as he runs the runs that are called, pressing the hole and then bursting through it. It's not easy to break down and it's not hard to see that burst."

...Rock Cartwright wasn't happy about being demoted -- again. We'll have more about that in Thursday's paper, but one snippet was this one: "It’s kind of hard for a running back to get in a rhythm when you have five carries in the first series and then you don’t carry the ball again until the second half. It’s hard to produce that way. Going into the game and telling a back you’re going to take two series and this guy is going to take two series, it’s kind of hard to get hot. When you’re doing running back by committee, you’ve kind of got to go off of feel, who’s playing better. When you get somebody five carries in the first half and they don’t play no more until the second half, of course you can’t expect somebody to go out and be fresh right then. I mean, i can't control it so i’m not going to worry about it. I’m just going to do my part on special teams. I’m glad to be back with my guys on special teams. I’m going to go back to being the No. 1 guy on kickoff returns, hopefully. So I’m looking forward to the opportunity."

Thanks for this news. Makes me feel better about dropping Cartwright.

I'm giving him the nod over Snelling & Ward in my playoff game. Yes, my RB2 is awful.

I'm in a similar spot - surprising sometimes that teams as weak as mine and yours at RB2 even manage to make the playoffs. I'm leaning toward Gathner ahead of Chris Brown and Justin Fargas...I dropped Reggie Bush to get Gathner about five minutes ago.

Ganther is a solid choice. I plan on using him this week also.

He was a stellar back at Utah when they demolished Pitt(Fiesta Bowl) in busting the BCS for any non qualifier.

He made strides in TEN but was always 3rd or fourth on the depth chart for obvious reasons.

He was born in Richmond CA. I believe (next to Oaktown) and will be salivating at a chance to prove his worth in the league and play in front of his hometown!

Weather forecast calls for rain here....which means more of a ground attack...hence giving him every opportunity to succeed.

Hes shifty and elusive through holes yet will eventually get chased down after he breaks thru. He does have a great burst.

Not sure what they will do in goal line situations?

Edited by Let It Ride

He was a stellar back at Utah when they demolished Pitt(Fiesta Bowl) in busting the BCS for any non qualifier.

As a Utah alum I've had a chance to watch Quinton quite a bit. He's a gamer and runs hard. He's not afraid of contact and had many games in college with 30+ carries where he seemed to only get stronger in the 4th quarter.

I admit I'm biased, but I grabbed him the instant I saw him announced as the starter. My RB2 is not strong either - McCoy cost me the #3 seed last week and I'm not ready to run Westy out there in a playoff game until I see him back on the field first.

Either way, I'm happy to see Quinton get his shot. I just hope he gets 20+ carries and a chance to show what he can do.

As a Utah alum I've had a chance to watch Quinton quite a bit. He's a gamer and runs hard. He's not afraid of contact and had many games in college with 30+ carries where he seemed to only get stronger in the 4th quarter.

I admit I'm biased, but I grabbed him the instant I saw him announced as the starter. My RB2 is not strong either - McCoy cost me the #3 seed last week and I'm not ready to run Westy out there in a playoff game until I see him back on the field first.

Either way, I'm happy to see Quinton get his shot. I just hope he gets 20+ carries and a chance to show what he can do.

Good insight. Makes me feel better about him even some more.

+1

I've learned the hard way that unless it's a hurricane, or a unbelievably cold, windy game, I don't even pay attention to weather. :wacko:

If anything, it's a benefit to the passing game. WRs are running straight ahead, defenders are backpedaling to start out.

I was set to start Gathner ahead of Chris Brown and Fargas as noted above, but now I'm reconsidering after reading DMD's updated projections - he makes some good points about Gathner in his scathing intro to the Redskins/Raiders game, and I do agree with him that it's more likely to be a low-scoring affair in that one. :wacko:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/306551-...eek-for-week-14

Quinton Ganther: Fantasy Sleeper Pick of the Week for Week 14?

The Washington Redskins have announced that Quinton Ganther has taken over the starting running back duties for the team, and for those of you looking to supplement your team at the position, Ganther is a huge sleeper pick for this week.

The Redskins face an Oakland Raider team that basically invites teams to run against them giving up an average of 158 plus yards a game, while the Redskins are hovering just over 100 yards a game on the ground.

But what’s significant about Ganther’s value isn’t just the appalling run defense of the Raiders, rather the passing defense of both teams.

The Raiders have an uncanny ability to shut down the long ball, and considering the Redskins aren’t exactly setting the world on fire with their passing game, Zorn and company could look to play a game of ball control.

The Redskins are no slouches at passing defense either.

The Redskins are ranked fifth overall against the pass, and if you put both team’s aptitude to control the passing attack together, you have yourself a situation that is prime for the ground game to take center stage.

Ganther didn’t just win a starting role; he earned it outright by simply outplaying Rock Cartwright. The team’s coaching staff is very high on Ganther’s talents—something that leaves a very high ceiling for possible Fantasy points.

For most of you, the playoffs start this week; the remainder of you are in your final week of regular season competition, so adding a sleeper pick with a huge upside could be that difference maker you have been looking for.

Ganther could be that player.