[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

HDTV shopping

rajncajn

Looking for something no smaller than 80 inch, no preferences on type. Just want the best TV with the best price & picture. I've looked at a few different review sites that I know, but none of them have reviews for a TV that size.

BTW, it's not for me. I'm trying to find one for a friend who is not very innernets savvy. :wacko:

Looking for something no smaller than 80 inch, no preferences on type. Just want the best TV with the best price & picture. I've looked at a few different review sites that I know, but none of them have reviews for a TV that size.

BTW, it's not for me. I'm trying to find one for a friend who is not very innernets savvy. :wacko:

As far as I know, the only direct view TVs that sizer are the Mitsubishi's 82' DLP sets. Good bang for buck. Downside is periodic bulb replacement and about 2% overscan.

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/product/WD82837

At this size a projector is the way to go. As 10g pointed out, there are very few TVs in that size range. Remember though, if your "friend" does go with a projector, the quality of the screen will make a hugh difference in the final picture as will how well he controls the ambient light in the room.

For 80", a projector is the only way to go. Different brands of projectors vary in picture quality moreso than plasmas and LCDs. A low-end projector is BAD compared to a low-end LCD/Plasma.

If he cares about PQ (picture quality) and does NOT want to go to projector AND can settle for 60" (HUGH drop off) get the Pioneer Kuro 60", best PQ around.

I've owned a projector for a few years and now my brother and dad both have one. Basically, I get to watch TV on a 120" screen (you can adjust it to whatever you want). We all have Epson brand projectors. Great product, above average warranty (if you ever need service they will send you a projector to use while they work on yours & they're factory warranty is for 2 years where the average is one year). I've never needed a thing on my digital and while it is only 720P (both the others are 1080p) it looks as clear as my 50" Panasonic Plasma and my 40" Samsung. They don't show that well in Best Buy type stores but if you have just a little bit of light control, these projectors are THE best bang for your buck. Good luck.

:wacko:

dude, 80 inches? what is that?

i have a 56" lcd in my big 2-story family room and it is more than adequate.

what are you outfitting with this, a stadium?!?!?!

and if you are going to go that big, go projector.

:D

This is for my boss. He's one of those types that always has to get the biggest & best, but is completely clueless when it comes to anything electronic. He is an IT guys worst nightmare. :D

ETA: Thanks guys for the input. Not sure he's going to go projector, so he may move down to that 60" that was suggested. I told him he needed to take some measurements from where he wants to put it first & be sure of what size he really wants. It would be just like him to go buy a TV that he can't even fit into his house.

Edited by rajncajn

ETA: Thanks guys for the input. Not sure he's going to go projector, so he may move down to that 60" that was suggested. I told him he needed to take some measurements from where he wants to put it first & be sure of what size he really wants. It would be just like him to go buy a TV that he can't even fit into his house.

Before you go projector, lookee here

Or here

:wacko:

This is for my boss. He's one of those types that always has to get the biggest & best, but is completely clueless when it comes to anything electronic. He is an IT guys worst nightmare. :D

The best 60" on the planet is the Pioneer PRO 151FD. I have done ALOT of research and while there is still controversey on which is the "best" alot of pro's claim this is the best. I got this one not too long ago and it is AMAZING!

I HIGHLY suggest getting it professionaly calibrated also.