[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Greatest Living Rock/Roll Guitarist

Brentastic

Just give these 2 a listen, it's Trey Anastasio from Phish. For anyone who hasn't given Phish a true chance or really given a focused listen, give both these solos a listen - I can't imagine you'll be disappointed. I think the 2nd one is the most impressive of the two. If you wanna skip to the good stuff, the appropriate and approximate start times are listed below.

Sorry, I just had to get that out.

'Rock' Trey (start at 4 min) -

'Acid/cartoon/jazz Trey (start at 5 min mark) -

Edited by Brentastic

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

trey is very good musician. but I have to say the two solos you linked to don't really do much for me :wacko:

I'm surprised. What do you appreciate in a solo? The 2nd link, to me, has all the elements I like - a creative line that tells a story and speed/precision/technical brilliance. I've listened to tons of guitarist and love many of them, Trey just has the most of 'it' for me.

Is this supposed to be an opinion thread on who we all think the greatest living rock guitarist is (because we've done that to death) or just a showcase for one guy?

No rules. I guess my only intention was to give some audio/visual examples of the man I believe is tops. I know many have heard of Phish but wasn't sure how many here have given a true listen (vs just background music or the occasional radio listen).

Note to potsmoking rumhead camera man: When someone is playing a 3 minute guitar solo, you ZOOM IN ON THEM.

Oh, and big :D to Trey's playing.

No chit. Early in the song when he begins the outro, camera man zooms in on bass then keys :wacko: Then when Trey really gets cookin' he zooms out :D:D

Give me your tops - provide an audio sample if you can.

Jeff Beck has to be one of the best. Agree with the Fripp call here as well.

I'm not dissin Trey, I own quite of bit of his works, mostly with Phish. Hard for me to say he is the "greatest living"...that's all.

My top 10 would include

John Frusciante

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUJHEdQBAr8

Jack Johnson is probably rhythm guitar but he's so smooth.

Prince

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mth3bNZFUXU

J Mascis:

Are the guys from Iron Maiden and the Outlaws still alive?

Jeff Beck has to be one of the best. Agree with the Fripp call here as well.

I'm not dissin Trey, I own quite of bit of his works, mostly with Phish. Hard for me to say he is the "greatest living"...that's all.

Interesting that I've never listened to Jeff Beck - will have to make an attempt at that soon.