[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do you let your young kids

Scooby

My 4 1/2 yr old loves anything army and also star wars, so I let him play light saber duels, rated T and also Modern Warfare 2, but only the target practice and the special ops one where you have to use an ice pick to scale the snow-capped moutains with your army buddy to help you.....I also let him play Call of Duty World at War--just the Nazi Zombies but that one is indeed violent, so only sparingly. I'm probably warping him, but like I said, he loves military stuff, he even says when he grows up, he wants to be in the army. I get him to eat certain foods by telling him that its "Army Food" and that army men eat it and grow big & strong;)

ETA-- Call of Juarez is TOTALLY out!!!

However, I think his favorite game is Squeeballs, E for everyone!!

My 4 1/2 yr old loves anything army and also star wars, so I let him play light saber duels, rated T and also Modern Warfare 2, but only the target practice and the special ops one where you have to use an ice pick to scale the snow-capped moutains with your army buddy to help you.....I also let him play Call of Duty World at War--just the Nazi Zombies but that one is indeed violent, so only sparingly. I'm probably warping him, but like I said, he loves military stuff, he even says when he grows up, he wants to be in the army. I get him to eat certain foods by telling him that its "Army Food" and that army men eat it and grow big & strong;)

ETA-- Call of Juarez is TOTALLY out!!!

However, I think his favorite game is Squeeballs, E for everyone!!

I have an xbox and play Call of Duty and Assassins Creed. My 5 yo son begs me to let him watch and really wants to play but I generally turn it off when he's around. I've turned off the blood on Assassins Creed and let him watch me run around sometimes but he really wants to "watch me fight the bad guys."

This is a tough question because stuff like this didn't exist when I was growing up. Shooting a little blip at a block shaped figure is much different than firing a gun in a very realistic environment. I think even young kids can separate what's just a game from reality though, especially with only minimal exposure.

I have been thinking about taking my son to a shooting range for a lesson from an expert just to see what real guns can do and get an appreciation for the reality side of things so that if he ever does see a real gun he'll know the difference and know not to mess with it and play around.

I don't really know the answer but I'm not comfortable letting him play those games yet. Maybe the lego series games is a decent compromise.

I don't have kids but will throw my opinion out there.

I think these games can be bad for kids but I also think that it is not the game alone. If you are a bad parent and spent little or no time with your kids and just let them play these games 6-7 hours per day these kids may not understand and these games then could be bad. If you talk with your kids and teach them right from wrong and what video games are and what war is then I don't see these as bad. I am thinking like 9-10 years old. Under that I am thinking that better options are available.

I am mainly talking war games as opposed to just pure games based solely on violence.

I will also add that if you are asking the question then I am pretty sure you are on the right side of the good parent spectrum.

Why do they rate them M?

Why is it illegal for someone under 18 to purchase game?

This is whats wrong with this world.

is it okay to take your kid to strip bars and just watch?

4 and half years old and you have to ask if its okay

Just my opinion but I still think it has more to do with the actual parenting than it does about the game. it is rated M because people blame the games more than they want to blame the parents or kids for there actual actions.

Interesting responses. So judgemental. Even someone without kids has chimed in with an opinion on how to raise kids.

Reared our kids without any censorship whatsoever. They read what was around the house, watched whatever they wanted to on the TV, and went to all the drive-in movies we went to. They both turned out just fine IMHO. Both have jobs that they have been at for years, neither has been arrested or even come close to being in trouble with the law, both have great families.

Rear your kids however you feel is the best way and never, ever, ask other people what their opinion is on what you are doing. Each and every person on this earth has an opinion on how to rear kids.... most of them without a clue or felons as kids.

Kids come with no instructions. You just do your best to lay a good foundation and one way to do that is no censorship. They have to experience things to know what is good, and what is bad.

Besides.... to quote .... "no matter what you say, they will stick their fingers in the fan."

Interesting responses. So judgemental. Even someone without kids has chimed in with an opinion on how to raise kids.

Not sure what you want here. Scooby asked people for their opinions. :wacko:

Now, at the risk of being judgemental, I mostly agree with gbpfan1231's thoughts on this issue.

Not sure what you want here. Scooby asked people for their opinions. :wacko:

Now, at the risk of being judgemental, I mostly agree with gbpfan1231's thoughts on this issue.

I subscribe to the "You don't tell me how to rear my kids, I won't tell you how to rear yours" school.

As far as Scooby asking.... that was a mistake.

our 10 year old does fine with T games.

our 14 yo got modern warfare 2 and i've not been letting the 10 yo around it yet until i can watch the 14 yo play some of it. so far, it's not really that bad. again, there some language and yes, some blood, but overall, it just doesn't seem as scarring or damaging as some would want you to believe. truth be told, it's a kick ass game that looks great and does a great job of simulating war. if anything, it can be really educational. on the way down to the bengals game, my 14 yo were talking about the game and that led to a discussion about my dad and his vietnam tours and it brought home to him just how tragic war is. it is clear that we both can enjoy playing this cool game while not losing sight of just how bad war is ... again, as stated, if you are talking to your kids and aware of what they are doing, it means everything.

as far as asking opinions, i think it is interesting to see what others think. it's not like i'm going to follow them because they've shared their opinion. if you want my opinion, there's no way i let a kid that is around 5 years old near these kind of games ... waaaayyy too young.

I subscribe to the "You don't tell me how to rear my kids, I won't tell you how to rear yours" school.

As far as Scooby asking.... that was a mistake.

The fact that you are telling them not to ask other people is kind of telling them how to do it is it not?

I understand that I don't have kids and that is why I made it a point to say so - I guess if you don't have kids you are not allowed to offer an opinion.

I would then assume you have no opinions on things that you have not done in your life?

The fact that you are telling them not to ask other people is kind of telling them how to do it is it not?

No... it isn't.

I understand that I don't have kids and that is why I made it a point to say so - I guess if you don't have kids you are not allowed to offer an opinion.

That is correct. You have no reference in which to make an informed opinion. You are only stating an opinion not based on experience.

I would then assume you have no opinions on things that you have not done in your life?

I seldom have an opinion about something I know nothing about or have not tried. If I do have an opinion, it is usually just to say that I can't see me doing something like that. Like skydiving or running with the bulls.

I think it's good to get other people's opinion on child rearing and I don't even mind those of people without kids. I totally get where Scooby is coming from because I honestly never would have thought that a 4 year old would even be able to comprehend or have interest in these type of games but it is amazing how much smarter young kids are than I would have ever given them credit for before being a parent.

Obviously if you buy these games for your 4 year old and turn them loose for hours a day to keep them out of your hair they will not turn out well. I would guess, however, if that is someone's parenting philosophy then the kids won't turn out well even without the M rated games.

Having enjoyed games all my life I feel less worried about this issue since I will likely play all the games my son does either before or with him during which time all sorts of life lessons can be added.

our 10 year old does fine with T games.

our 14 yo got modern warfare 2 and i've not been letting the 10 yo around it yet until i can watch the 14 yo play some of it. so far, it's not really that bad. again, there some language and yes, some blood, but overall, it just doesn't seem as scarring or damaging as some would want you to believe.

One thing I would warn you about in this game, having played through it, is that there is a section in the campaign close to the beginning(that you can and should disable somehow for your kids) that is totally inappropriate for any kid not in college. It's a portion where you play as a terrorist and walk through an airport killing random civilians and watching others do the same. It didn't even feel right to me playing that part as an adult. The rest is pretty much just shooting bad guys and isn't too bad - even the multiplayer stuff.

OK. I guess I am wrong for throwing in my two cents even when someone asks for opinions.

I wil check with sky before my next post to see if it is OK.

Lord, I hope you don't. You gave your opinion... I gave mine. That's what it is all about.

It's all Scooby's fault... should have never asked the question. :wacko:

One thing I would warn you about in this game, having played through it, is that there is a section in the campaign close to the beginning(that you can and should disable somehow for your kids) that is totally inappropriate for any kid not in college. It's a portion where you play as a terrorist and walk through an airport killing random civilians and watching others do the same. It didn't even feel right to me playing that part as an adult. The rest is pretty much just shooting bad guys and isn't too bad - even the multiplayer stuff.

i knew about that and we did skip that part.

I don't think, I know that these games feature violence that goes far, far beyond what was on TV 20 years ago. You don't have to be a parent to know that. TV was also passive. These games are "first person shooters", as they are called.You participate, you do the shooting, the killing. Again, one does not need to be a parent to know that. Big difference IMO.

If I had a young one, I think I would keep them away from the real violent stuff, but not entirely. They will play these games, if not at home, when out of the house. So, you can't keep them in a shell either. Better to introduce it to them while supervising and explaining, but I don't think there is any clear answer as to what is best. That's why it's so controvesial.

I did bust an egg on the side of my aunt's head when I was about 4. My response was "It was funny when the 3 stooges did it!" :wacko:

Reared our kids without any censorship whatsoever. They read what was around the house, watched whatever they wanted to on the TV, and went to all the drive-in movies we went to. They both turned out just fine IMHO. Both have jobs that they have been at for years, neither has been arrested or even come close to being in trouble with the law, both have great families.

Rear your kids however you feel is the best way and never, ever, ask other people what their opinion is on what you are doing. Each and every person on this earth has an opinion on how to rear kids.... most of them without a clue or felons as kids.

Kids come with no instructions. You just do your best to lay a good foundation and one way to do that is no censorship. They have to experience things to know what is good, and what is bad.

Besides.... to quote .... "no matter what you say, they will stick their fingers in the fan."

Great post which pretty much sums up my opinion.

And to the wanker that went all judgmental and has no children... Get overyourself.