[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

San Francisco

Brentastic

Man, my SF is getting hazy...better off taking Pine down to Masonic as it's the one-way heading West...California is a 2 way with a ton of stoplights...although you could take the street car :wacko:

Take Muni to The Haight. You'll go nuts trying to drive. It will be a 15 minute drive, and then 15 minutes driving around trying to find a frickin parking spot.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take Muni to The Haight. You'll go nuts trying to drive. It will be a 15 minute drive, and then 15 minutes driving around trying to find a frickin parking spot.

Pardon my ignorance - what is Muni? My guess would be the trolly cars?

Thanks for all the input people, and a special shout-out to Bier - I'm sure my trip is going to be better because of it!

I saw a few recommendations on how to get to drive to Cobb on Saturday morning - can anyone recommend the most scenic without taking too much extra time? Probably won't have time to hit any wineries, will save that for another trip when the wife ain't preggers!

Pine street is the fastest and once you get to the park it gets a bit more scenic...and Muni is the municipal train/bus system. You'd need to walk down Powell a few blocks to Market street, make your way past all the panhandlers, enter the subway and take the J Muni to Cole Valley...get off there and walk down a block or two to Haight. Not very scenic really unless you like crowded subways, panhandlers and dark tunnels.

Pine street is the fastest and once you get to the park it gets a bit more scenic...and Muni is the municipal train/bus system. You'd need to walk down Powell a few blocks to Market street, make your way past all the panhandlers, enter the subway and take the J Muni to Cole Valley...get off there and walk down a block or two to Haight. Not very scenic really unless you like crowded subways, panhandlers and dark tunnels.

So are you saying I should drive there? The parking scares me, but maybe I should just cab it?

So are you saying I should drive there? The parking scares me, but maybe I should just cab it?

You could cab it but with muni you get to take in the SF culture.

The most direct way to Cobb would be 101 to 37 to 29 to 175. It wouldn't take that much longer to make a quick stop in Sonoma and take 101 to 37 to 121. To keep going on your way to Cobb, you can just go back S on 121 to 12/121 going east to 29. Or head north on 121 from Sonoma and cut east at Kenwood to 29 (longer, windy but more scenic vs back tracking). Napa's downtown isn't all that exciting (kind of dumpy imo) and Sonoma gives you that true winery town feel plus there might be a mission or two to visit--not sure. Napa is all about winery touring. I haven't been to Kenwood in a long time but it's a smaller version of Sonoma.

Why are you in Cobb? My husband was involved in a controversial project there, but I am careful to divulge until I know what your business dealings are. I will say this, I won't drink Calistoga water ever again :wacko:

Parking shouldn't be that bad on a weekend...doubt you'll find anything right on Haight but drive around the blocks and you should find street parking.

Muni and the subway is definitely an experience, but you just don't quite ever know what you will get with them and it's passengers. I've been on that J train a bunch as I used to live a few blocks from the Haight...fairly reliable but I've been stuck in the tunnel quite a few times as well.

The street/cable cars run up and down Powell...if you really want to experience SF take the Powell/Hyde car all the way out to the edge of the wharf...McCormick & Kuletos is right there near the end of the line, and if anything else you are a few blocks walk over to the wharf/pier 39.

You could cab it but with muni you get to take in the SF culture.

The most direct way to Cobb would be 101 to 37 to 29 to 175. It wouldn't take that much longer to make a quick stop in Sonoma and take 101 to 37 to 121. To keep going on your way to Cobb, you can just go back S on 121 to 12/121 going east to 29. Or head north on 121 from Sonoma and cut east at Kenwood to 29 (longer, windy but more scenic vs back tracking). Napa's downtown isn't all that exciting (kind of dumpy imo) and Sonoma gives you that true winery town feel plus there might be a mission or two to visit--not sure. Napa is all about winery touring. I haven't been to Kenwood in a long time but it's a smaller version of Sonoma.

Why are you in Cobb? My husband was involved in a controversial project there, but I am careful to divulge until I know what your business dealings are. I will say this, I won't drink Calistoga water ever again :wacko:

I have some friends who moved there - they are undertaking a new farming business in Cobb.

Parking shouldn't be that bad on a weekend...doubt you'll find anything right on Haight but drive around the blocks and you should find street parking.

Muni and the subway is definitely an experience, but you just don't quite ever know what you will get with them and it's passengers. I've been on that J train a bunch as I used to live a few blocks from the Haight...fairly reliable but I've been stuck in the tunnel quite a few times as well.

I take the subway everyday here in Chicago, and I think there's plenty of culture here where I don't need to replicate the experience in SF. So am I going to be able to find some vintage Grateful Dead albums and stuff or am I wasting my time going there?

I take the subway everyday here in Chicago, and I think there's plenty of culture here where I don't need to replicate the experience in SF. So am I going to be able to find some vintage Grateful Dead albums and stuff or am I wasting my time going there?

Not sure..I haven't been to The Haight since the early 80's when it was a cool place to hang. You might first want to check out Virgin Records at Market and Powell.

Dude, as a deadhead you want to go to there. It won't take much time to get there, whether by cab or Muni. Do it.

The Haight is still pretty funky and there are a few old record shops there, but there's also Ben & Jerry's, Starbucks, McDonalds, etc, Psychedelic meets Yuppie...so it's not quite the Mecca it once was but still something to experience, especially for the history. Walking the streets down from there several houses have plaques in front of them stating the Dead/Janus lived there, stuff like that...

Jesus!!!!!

I just Googled "What to do in San Francisco if at first you can't decide on how long you will actually be there and then you figure out you have a day and night but need help with finding a hotel and a lunch restaurant and a dinner restaurant and directions and where to find records stores"

Google pointed me first to The Huddle and then to some MySpace page labeled Brentastic. Weird. :wacko:

Edited by gbpfan1231

Got home from CA about 4 hours ago. My stay in SF was great and I gotta commend Bier on a great hotel recommendation. The Sir Francis Drake was ideally located, IMO - had I stayed on the wharf, I would have been disappointed. Went to a place called John's Grill for lunch, mainly because it was close to our hotel. Got the dungeness crab cocktail and the Lamplighter - loved the cocktail but was somewhat diappointed with the lamplighter. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't great either. For dinner we went to Crustacean - after devouring 3 appetizers (all very good) my entree was the dungeness roast, basically a full dungeness crab cooked in a secret garlic marinade. I didn't want to go dungeness again but it's their specialty and it was very good. I paid the extra $5 to have the kitchen crack the crab and it was still too much work for me. The flavor was excellent though and I really enjoyed this restaurant - agian, a Bier recommendation.

Cobb was incredible, high up in the mountains where living is simple, scenic and private. Overall, enjoyed the trip and owe the SF fun to you guys here! Thanks huddle.

Dude, as a deadhead you want to go to there. It won't take much time to get there, whether by cab or Muni. Do it.

Had a monetary exchange and transaction with the former drummer of Jefferson Airplane (Spencer Dryden) at the Haight in 1980, my first visit there. You can interpret as you wish, but I wasn't hooking. I then took such item purchased to the Greatful Dead concert at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley. The item I purchased did not do what I expected it to do, and it was a very long and unpleasant day. It was the last time I purchased that item ever again. At least I had the experience.