[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

haiti

dmarc117

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God has placed a curse on the country some time around its birth3, and that divine burden has made it virtually impossible for the vast majority of Haitians to live in peace and prosperity in their land. Surprising, right?

that god has a funny way of picking on those he does not like. :wacko:

May pat Robertson burn in Hell for his untrue/stoopid/wrongly biased comments! :D

Why doesn't someone take him to task? He spews this crap and the "believers" believe! :wacko:

Not all "believers" believe Pat Robertson's spewing. But why hasn't Haiti ever been more than the poorest of the third world countries? I believe that there is a spiritual connection (a "blessing" from God if I may) that is upon the United States of America. (If I remember correctly, there's even a song or two about God blessing America). How has Haiti managed to remain so poor and desperate all these years? I have the same question as Ursa.

How has Haiti managed to remain so poor and desperate all these years? I have the same question as Ursa.

Yeah, it's weird. Fundamentally it's the same people but the DR next door does OK while Haiti remains firmly mired in poverty.

And, to whoever posted earlier, Haiti isn't the poorest country in the world by a long shot, at least in terms of GDP. Find them on these three lists in the 130s.

May pat Robertson burn in Hell for his untrue/stoopid/wrongly biased comments! :D

Why doesn't someone take him to task? He spews this crap and the "believers" believe! :wacko:

There is a special place in hell reserved for people like Pat Robertson. I can assure you he does not mirror what most believers believe.

Not all "believers" believe Pat Robertson's spewing. But why hasn't Haiti ever been more than the poorest of the third world countries? I believe that there is a spiritual connection (a "blessing" from God if I may) that is upon the United States of America. (If I remember correctly, there's even a song or two about God blessing America). How has Haiti managed to remain so poor and desperate all these years? I have the same question as Ursa.

:wacko: ...maybe if they changed their national anthem to include a few verses about god blessing them... :D

ETA: I'm sorry, but this comment is one step below Pat Robertson's comment. On a serious note, why hasn't some of the commercial powers that be taken advantage of the obvious cheap real estate and labor and turned this into a tourist destination? Or at least part of it?

Edited by millerx

I meant no disrespect to people who believe in God or are religious, so I apologize if that was how it was interpreted. But I have no respect for people like Robertson and their ilk that God is vengeful and should be feared. That is not the loving forgiving God that I was brought up with and it's my opinion that these "leaders" do it for personal and monetary gain (Jim and Tammy?) and also for control. Robertson must have a substantial following or he would not be on as much as he is. How many people actually believe him? I'm sorry to say millions and that is too many.

I meant no disrespect to people who believe in God or are religious, so I apologize if that was how it was interpreted. But I have no respect for people like Robertson and their ilk that God is vengeful and should be feared. That is not the loving forgiving God that I was brought up with and it's my opinion that these "leaders" do it for personal and monetary gain (Jim and Tammy?) and also for control. Robertson must have a substantial following or he would not be on as much as he is. How many people actually believe him? I'm sorry to say millions and that is too many.

I completely agree.

ETA: I'm sorry, but this comment is one step below Pat Robertson's comment. On a serious note, why hasn't some of the commercial powers that be taken advantage of the obvious cheap real estate and labor and turned this into a tourist destination? Or at least part of it?

Because it is a poopy hole with a corrupt political system that you can not work with... Further, you ever been to the Haitian parts of Miami... A 5 star resort in Haiti would be picked clean in 14 and a half minutes.

Fascinating article on why Haiti gets hammered.

The list of catastrophes is mind-numbing: This week's devastating earthquake. Four tropical storms or hurricanes that killed about 800 people in 2008. Killer storms in 2005 and 2004. Floods in 2007, 2006, 2003 (twice) and 2002. And that's just the 21st Century run-down.

"If you want to put the worst case scenario together in the Western hemisphere (for disasters), it's Haiti," said Richard Olson, a professor at Florida International University who directs the Disaster Risk Reduction in the Americas project.

"There's a whole bunch of things working against Haiti. One is the hurricane track. The second is tectonics. Then you have the environmental degradation and the poverty," he said.

This is the 15th disaster since 2001 in which the U.S. Agency for International Development has sent money and help to Haiti. Some 3,000 people have been killed and millions of people displaced in the disasters that preceded this week's earthquake. Since the turn of this century the U.S. has sent more than $16 million in disaster aid to Haiti.

:wacko:

Because his believers are simple-minded sheep who just follow the @ss in front of them...

Precisely! Robertson points to stuff like this earthquake and uses it to further scare(and thus control) a bunch of simpletons whom he dupes for profit.

Because it is a poopy hole with a corrupt political system that you can not work with... Further, you ever been to the Haitian parts of Miami... A 5 star resort in Haiti would be picked clean in 14 and a half minutes.

See Duvalier, Papa Doc

Anyone wanting to donate to the relief effort,

Text 'Haiti' to 90999 and the Ameican Red Cross will receive a $10 donation that will be automatically added to your cell phone bill.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

Copied & pasted from an e-mail my sister sent me:

However, I know that I am a biased Catholic but --- Catholic Relief Service’s

· Their home base was already there established in helping the Haiti citizens, like the Doctor’s wo Borders

· Their facilities were not damaged, and they are searching their satellite warehouses as far away as the Dominican Republic to make sure that supplies that they store away are in-tact.

· They work in conjunction immediately with all the parishes in the area acting as satellite places of aid.

· Because of this, they were/are able to be quick first responders vs. figuring out their own issues first on infrastructure…

· They are the largest donor of any I have seen so far. They immediately pledged $5MM dollars.

· Plus, I think their overhead administratively is lower than compared to most.

I have attached a link if you are interested in reading more on CRS:

https://secure.crs.org/site/Donation2?df_id....donation=form1

I think I'll be giving thru CRS :wacko:

Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh and televangelist Pat Robertson are being scolded for their comments in the immediate aftermath of an earthquake in Haiti that has killed tens of thousands, according to early estimates.

Critics from both the left and right are denouncing their remarks as insensitive to the disaster and attempts to score political points off human tragedy.

Speaking on his radio show Wednesday, Limbaugh said the earthquake has played into Obama’s hands, allowing the president to look “compassionate” and “humanitarian” while at the same time bolstering his standing in both the “light-skinned and dark-skinned black community in this country.”

He added: “We've already donated to Haiti. It’s called the U.S. income tax.”

Limbaugh’s comments were, in part, a riff on Sen. Harry Reid’s (D-Nev.) much publicized remark in a new book that Obama was able to win the election because he is “light-skinned” and lacks a “Negro dialect.”

But regardless of the intended context, Limbaugh’s comments have been widely panned.

“They are deeply insensitive,” said conservative commentator Pat Buchanan on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.”

“The president speaks for the country when he says we’re going to go in there,” he said. “You want your whole nation, and it’s very positive. And I think Rush’s comments were cynical.”

Sitting next to Buchanan on set, host Joe Scarborough called Limbaugh’s comments “deplorable.”

“The insensitivity is stunning,” said the former Republican congressman.

Liberal commentators also quickly jumped on Limbaugh.

“Limbaugh did not know when to just shut up,” said liberal commentator Keith Olbermann on his MSNBC show “Countdown.” “Today he blamed communism for the poverty of Haiti, blamed President Obama for holding a news conference the day after this cataclysm when he did not hold one after the failed half-assed terror attempt in Detroit.”

John Amato from the left-leaning website Crooks and Liars added that “with thousands of people dead already and as the suffering continues in Haiti, Limbaugh and his ilk only care about one thing: destroying Obama.”

The conservative media watchdog site Newsbusters stepped up to defend Limbaugh, saying his comments were not put in proper context, but very few others are backing the conservative firebrand’s latest controversial remarks.

While Limbaugh received a modicum of support, nobody of note has stepped up to defend Robertson’s claim that Haiti got hit by an earthquake because it is “cursed.”

Stay classy Rush Limbaugh you bottom feeding scumbag . . . .