[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

TV trouble

SheikYerbuti

I've got a 4 year old Panasonic PT-61LCX65 TV. About a week ago, a fuzzy redish spot appeared in a fixed place on the screen. It's more pronounced when that place on the screen is showing light colors (yellows, flesh, greens).

Change the bulb? Optical engine? Time to start shopping for a new one?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a 4 year old Panasonic PT-61LCX65 TV. About a week ago, a fuzzy redish spot appeared in a fixed place on the screen. It's more pronounced when that place on the screen is showing light colors (yellows, flesh, greens).

it's time for a new television....my Sony has a similar problem with the pixels dying....the bottom right corner is blue and from that area there's a bunch of blue dots that have formed and appear to keep growing....

this set is not even 4 years old yet and it's done....I'm going to start buying the protection agreement for all my Televisions...I only have it on the on in the bedroom, but the one in the livingroom cost more....

I sure do regret it now...

it's time for a new television....my Sony has a similar problem with the pixels dying....the bottom right corner is blue and from that area there's a bunch of blue dots that have formed and appear to keep growing....

this set is not even 4 years old yet and it's done....I'm going to start buying the protection agreement for all my Televisions...I only have it on the on in the bedroom, but the one in the livingroom cost more....

I sure do regret it now...

Is yours an LCD also?

My samsung LCD died last week. If I knew how to solder I could probably fix it since it's more than likely bad capacitors. It started acting up about a month ago by clicking repeatedly before starting. Last week it would just click and never turn on. I googled the issue and apparently it's a big problem with units sold between 05-07. Another option was to get a new board from samsung but all you'd get was the same board with the flawed capacitors.

I said screw it and went out and bought a panasonic plasma. I'll probably buy a new board and then sell the TV on craigslist siting that it's been repaired.

My samsung LCD died last week. If I knew how to solder I could probably fix it since it's more than likely bad capacitors. It started acting up about a month ago by clicking repeatedly before starting. Last week it would just click and never turn on. I googled the issue and apparently it's a big problem with units sold between 05-07. Another option was to get a new board from samsung but all you'd get was the same board with the flawed capacitors.

I said screw it and went out and bought a panasonic plasma. I'll probably buy a new board and then sell the TV on craigslist siting that it's been repaired.

everyone is stroking the samsung brand when it comes to HDTV's....the picture quality is so fake, but people seem to like it and Samsung products are notorious for a short shelf life....and it's no wonder that they are in a joint venture with Sony this year and are making the Sony panels for what we currently see in stores....

because the Sony TV's from '09 have been faulty - aside from the XBR models....

If I was buying a HDTV, I'd wait until the new models come out in a few months and buy a Sony because Sharp will be in with Sony this time in a joint venture and Sharp models are the only ones made out of Japan, the rest are made out of taiwan, China, Korea etc.....

and right now I only trust Sharp and Sony....next up is Panasonic, but the new breed loves them some Vizio :wacko: ... I stick with what I know...

the only '09 HDTV sets I would buy are a Sharp, Pioneer (whatever you can find since they went under) and the LG fully back-lit LED panels....those "ultra-slim" Samsung LED's are fools gold to me no matter what the reviews say, I refuse to spend that much money on an LED that is edge-lit and propped up in price because it "looks sexy"

anyways, enough of my rant....try to hold out to buy a new TV until April or May if you can....this is what I'm doing anyways :D

everyone is stroking the samsung brand when it comes to HDTV's....the picture quality is so fake, but people seem to like it and Samsung products are notorious for a short shelf life....and it's no wonder that they are in a joint venture with Sony this year and are making the Sony panels for what we currently see in stores....

If I was buying a HDTV, I'd wait until the new models come out in a few months and buy a Sony because Sharp will be in with Sony this time in a joint venture and Sharp models are the only ones made out of Japan, the rest are made out of taiwan, China, Korea etc.....

and right now I only trust Sharp and Sony....next up is Panasonic, but the new breed loves them some Vizio :wacko: ... I stick with what I know...

the only '09 HDTV sets I would buy are a Sharp, Pioneer (whatever you can find since they went under) and the LG fully back-lit LED panels....those "ultra-slim" Samsung LED's are fools gold to me no matter what the reviews say, I refuse to spend that much money on an LED that is edge-lit and propped up in price because it "looks sexy"

anyways, enough of my rant....try to hold out to buy a new TV until April or May if you can....this is what I'm doing anyways :D

:D

Rant away, I'm pretty pissed myself with Samsung. I'll never buy one again. Now that I've got the plasma with 1080 and a blu-ray to boot I'm laughing at how poor quality the samsung was IMO.

It wasn't too long ago you were all over Samsung as the best LCD's out there.

I bought a 46" Samsung LCD in the fall of 08. Absolutely love it.

That would be very troublesome when watching some of my favorite movies, I'd be mad as hell also.

I've had a Sony Bravia LCD for about 3 years now, love it!!

:wacko:

Samsung's are fine. If you can go with one of the 3 S's - Sony, Sharp or Samsung - for LCD then you're fine.

If you can grab a Pioneer Elite plasma, that has the best picture on the market hands down. No question.

Edited by Pope Flick

I never said they were the best....it was Sharp and has been Sharp this year...

the reality is that Samsung is up there compared to a lot of crap this year....but when I gathered more information than what I already had, I am staying away from samsung...

Samsung televisions have looked great this year compared to a bunch of crap....and I don't see a Samsung model lasting more than 4 or 5 years, they just aren't known for their durability....

also..when I hyped samsung, I finally came around....but as of late, I've gone back to my original stance on Samsung....

:wacko:

Samsung's are fine. If you can go with one of the 3 S's - Sony, Sharp or Samsung - for LCD then you're fine.

If you can grab a Pioneer Elite plasma, that has the best picture on the market hands down. No question.

the Sony 09 models are crap unless it's an XBR.....it's ashame too, because I always buy Sony, but Sharp has replaced them for the time being...

but as I said - for 2010, the upcoming models anyways...you either go with Sony or Sharp....unless you are on a serious budget...

Isnt Samsung rated across the board as one of the better buys and durability by Consumer Reports? :wacko:

I love consumer reports, and checked it before buying my Samsung 50 1080p plasma this year . . . got very high ratings.

of course it would considering you can't fast forward into a few years from now...not to mention the samsung models have a fake look to the picture quality....but fake is in...

people will see the samsung model next to a Sharp and prefer the samsung because the greens are greener and everything is brighter even that's not how the picture should be looking....

of course it would considering you can't fast forward into a few years from now...not to mention the samsung models have a fake look to the picture quality....but fake is in...

people will see the samsung model next to a Sharp and prefer the samsung because the greens are greener and everything is brighter even that's not how the picture should be looking....

You should know better than that. Best Buy does nothing to calibrate their models. Nothing. So while what you say MIGHT be true standing on the floor of their stores, if you bothered to calibrate them you'd find something different. And for my professional opinion it isn't the colors that jack up your picture quality it's the crushed blakcs. And the Samsung LEDs handle blacks ridiculously well.

Edited by Pope Flick

You should know better than that. Best Buy does nothing to calibrate their models. Nothing. So while what you say MIGHT be true standing on the floor of their stores, if you bothered to calibrate them you'd find something different. And for my professional opinion it isn't the colors that jack up your picture quality it's the crushed blakcs. And the Samsung LEDs handle blacks ridiculously well.

and I do know better....I sat there messing with the settings because I've been looking for a new HDTV for a few months now...

there was nothing that I could do to make the picture on a Samsung not look "fake"...

and it's funny because the Sony PQ looks better, but this is just not the year to buy a Sony "unless it's an XBR"

you should re-read my last post...

I did. and you obviously "do know better" because...

there was nothing that I could do to make the picture on a Samsung not look "fake"...

and it's funny because the Sony PQ looks better

My eyes might see something different than yours though....

Anyway, I'm not starting anything with you, I was just having some fun is all. :wacko:

and I do know better....I sat there messing with the settings because I've been looking for a new HDTV for a few months now...

and it's funny because the Sony PQ looks better, but this is just not the year to buy a Sony "unless it's an XBR"

If you're messing with the settings without calibrating to both color bars and sliding grey scales you're just attempting to make it look correct to your eye.

And I would find it VERY difficult to believe Best Buy allows you to do that, much less have a color bar signal (using the blue feature/glasses as well for saturation which seems to be your point) or sliding grey for that matter available for customers to use. If that's the case you have a VERY unique store on your hands.

We'll agree to disagree but I don't think you're doing the above, you're just trying to make something "look" right with the remote to your own eye. That is the wrong way to go about it.

If you're messing with the settings without calibrating to both color bars and sliding grey scales you're just attempting to make it look correct to your eye.

And I would find it VERY difficult to believe Best Buy allows you to do that, much less have a color bar signal (using the blue feature/glasses as well for saturation which seems to be your point) or sliding grey for that matter available for customers to use. If that's the case you have a VERY unique store on your hands.

We'll agree to disagree but I don't think you're doing the above, you're just trying to make something "look" right with the remote to your own eye. That is the wrong way to go about it.

listen, I have a calibration disc at my house and I calibrate my televsions accordingly....

I know how to tweak the settings and calibrate a set just by looking at the screen and I have extremely good vision as it is...

I can get the Sony/Sharp sets to look "natural" but the samsung sets always look fake no matter what I do...

as I said, I've been doing my homework for months and from what other people are saying it just appears that people like the fake look of the Samsung models...

even a Sharp rep told me that they had to brighten their pictures up because thats "what people want" even though it's not a natural picture, they have to comply with what people want to buy....they want a brighter picture and vibrant colors even though reality does not look like that...