[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Building a patio - pavers vs stamped concrete

BeeR

As a landscaper, all i can say is DON'T DO PAVERS.

I hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em.

They settle. They have to be weeded. They get lumpy. Tons more maintenance with pavers. If you can afford concrete, do it.

Edited by CaptainHook

As a landscaper, all i can say is DON'T DO PAVERS.

I hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em.

They settle. They have to be weeded. They get lumpy. Tons more maintenance with pavers. If you can afford concrete, do it.

As a homeowner use pavers. :wacko: Look nicer IMO. Unless you want no maintenance.

Thx - here is another a quick recap I found, seems pretty objective (some I've seen are clearly trying to steer you to one or the other). It seems like price and maintenance are the big pros for concrete...maintenance excepting cracks that is, which seems inevitable, and then yer f'ed. No cracking/easy repair seems to be the biggie for pavers.

http://www.all-things-concrete.com/stamped...-vs-pavers.html

I inherited a bunch of pavers as part of the landscaping of the house when I bought it. They were nice in the beginning. Looked real nice for the first couple of years. Now, they settle every year and I have to reseat a bunch every spring. Roundup is my friend. I will replace with poured concrete when I finally can't take it anymore..

I inherited a bunch of pavers as part of the landscaping of the house when I bought it. They were nice in the beginning. Looked real nice for the first couple of years. Now, they settle every year and I have to reseat a bunch every spring. Roundup is my friend. I will replace with poured concrete when I finally can't take it anymore..

I mixed a bag of granule Josh Gordon killer in with the sand and brushed it into the pavers. Kept it Josh Gordon free for the summer.

Also have stamped patio which I prefer, just had it done and now we're moving. I'll have it done there too.

We had some pavers put in around the back deck and they have been terrific (so far). Of course, our landscaper spent a whole day doing site prep which included packing the crap out of the entire patio area. I thought he was overkilling the packing process but he said it will be worth it later. I'm hopin'...

Pavers look better, but you need two things to make them work, proper preparation and fairly stable soils. If you live in an area with expansive soil, there is no way I would even consider pavers. If you have a nice sandy loam in your area and if you or whoever you have install them does it properly pavers should be relatively problem free.

Concrete is much easier to take care of, and clean. Depending on the stamp the stamping may act as additional control joints which would reduce the cracking that naturally occurs in all concrete.

I have experience with both...

As a homeowner and work in the construction industry. I laid my own pavers on my front walkway,

which has a slight slope to it, 8 years ago. I have had 0 problems with them. You MUST prepare

the soil/earth properly. Meaning, digging the correct depth, laying crushed stone, rolling or pounding,

etc...if you dont know what you're doing, it's easy to learn or hire a Pro. I filled the joints with an

acrylic based sand mix that you broom in and then wet with a hose to activate it. (somebody asked about this recently here

and I put up a link to these products, there are a few) Anyway, I have not had ONE Josh Gordon come through in 8 years!

Or grass, nothing. I only applied that one time eight years ago.

Stamped concrete looks killer when first done. BUT, and thats a hugh BUTT, it cracks and fads. Big time.

And as someone mentioned above, you're screwed when it does. Fading is also a problem. Some will fad to

a nice patina, others will fad away. Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. And it never looks quite right either.

Friends of mine, Masons and concrete companies have gotten out of the business of doing stamped concrete.

The call backs are a nightmare. It was all the rage...until the cracks showed up.

Pavers or natural stone, done right, is the way to go....imo.

How long have you had your pavers in? Any problems with them? Do you buy the sand every year?

5 years at mine, my parents house for 20 years and neither has had a problem. Yes we sweep sand into them every year. Mine takes about 20 minutes, theirs take about an hour.

Time well spent since they look so much better than concrete. Seriously, its not even close.

Here in Indiana, with all the freezing and thawing, it is very difficult to keep them level, no matter how much prep work you do. And I've yet to see one that doesn't sprout weeds. And you gotta put sand on 'em each year. You can't plant trees near them, or the roots grow in. I'm tellin' ya, concrete is the way to go.

Here in Indiana, with all the freezing and thawing, it is very difficult to keep them level, no matter how much prep work you do. And I've yet to see one that doesn't sprout weeds. And you gotta put sand on 'em each year. You can't plant trees near them, or the roots grow in. I'm tellin' ya, concrete is the way to go.

Isnt excessive cracking a concern with concrete and all the freezing/thawing? :wacko:

I have a walk-out lot and I am trying to decide whether to go with pavers or concrete when I do the area under the deck this summer. Up here in MN, we definitely get the wild extremes with temps. I figure I have to choose between pavers that might get uneven(but can be re-set) or concrete that will very likely crack up pretty badly. Leaning toward pavers but not completely sure... :D

Have you ever used polymeric paver sand? The latest "This Old house" series was pimping it last week saying it is becoming the new standard as it greatly reduces run off from hard rains, insects don't like it, weeds are nearly eliminated, and it is flexible to help with the freeze/thaw cycles.

Have you ever used polymeric paver sand? The latest "This Old house" series was pimping it last week saying it is becoming the new standard as it greatly reduces run off from hard rains, insects don't like it, weeds are nearly eliminated, and it is flexible to help with the freeze/thaw cycles.

This is what I was referring to in my above post.

I just went out to the garage to check, I used Techo Bloc polymeric stabilizing sand.

Does all you listed above and more.....

possibly a dumb question, but if you want it to last a really long time, what about digging out, pouring concrete, and putting pavers over top of that?

If you finish it off with a protective layer of top soil, say four to six inches deep. For added stability plant grass seed in the early spring. Then yes, that'd be a great plan.

• 1 year later...
Isnt excessive cracking a concern with concrete and all the freezing/thawing? :wacko:

I have a walk-out lot and I am trying to decide whether to go with pavers or concrete when I do the area under the deck this summer. Up here in MN, we definitely get the wild extremes with temps. I figure I have to choose between pavers that might get uneven(but can be re-set) or concrete that will very likely crack up pretty badly. Leaning toward pavers but not completely sure... :lol:

Bumping as I am getting close to actually getting this project going but still deciding which way to go. I have a bid from a reputable local concrete company that will put in an exposed aggregate patio for me for about $600-$800 less than another reputable guy(who has done work for a friend) who will put in the same patio only with Borgert pavers. I think both would look nice and certainly do the job. As mentioned previously, I am concerned about the concrete cracking and that has me leaning toward pavers though I understand there will be maintenance involved with that option.

Also, I am still kicking around the idea of taking this project on myself in which case I'd be using pavers. I can get the Borgert pavers at a discount or I may be able to get a deal on some composite pavers made here in MN. Obviously the DIY options would be cheaper but there is certainly a break-even point where I would just as soon hire the work out vs doing it myself. For those of you who have installed your own pavers, did you find the savings substantial enough that it was worth it when all was said and done? Or, if you had to do it again, would you hire it out? Leaning toward just cutting a check to paver guy and being done with it, but I am also tempted to see how well I can make it look and if i can save some dinero in the process, that's even better.

Any thoughts or advice on this? :tup: