[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

flat screen/HDTV questions

yo mama

So I'm breaking down and buying my first flat screen/HDTV. (Ironically, the Mrs. wants it but I could care less). I've done some research but could use some help with the following pointed questions. FYI, we've already decided on an LCD (v. plasma) in the 37" to 42" range.

- Anti-blur technology? Sounds like the "protective undercoating" car salesmen try to dupe people into. What's the deal-e-o?

- prior Huddle posts have strongly recommended Samsung or Mitsubishi. Thoughts for or against?

- I don't have, nor will I ever care to have, "bluray." How does that impact my buying decision?

- 720p v. 1080p. Given my desired TV size (37" to 42") is the 1080p going to make any discernible difference? (My understanding is that it has a much greater impact or the larger TVs).

- some newer TVs have wireless internet access built in that seems cool for connecting to Netflix online, Pandora, etc. First, does it work as advertised? Second, is it worth the $200-$300 premium that seems to be associated with it?

TIA

Edited by yo mama

Get at least 40 ". I'm not a hugh tech guy either but it's only slightly more $ and well worth it. If you don't need or want blue ray, then 720 p is fine. 1080 is only if you're using blue ray. never heard of anti-blur -that's probably bs. i've also read samsung is the best but i got an LG and i'm very happy with it. I think you just want to avoid some of the crappy brands, otherwise you should be fine. I'm sure others with more knowledge will chime in but that's the basics right there.

I have a 47" Phillips LCD and a 55" Samsung LCD and I love them both. Got them both at Best Buy as they have the best prices around. The 55" is on sale there right now for 1500.00 was 2500.00. Got both of them after Christmas which seems to be there best time for sale prices for TVs. The 47" I got 2 years ago and I have nothing but good things to say about it Picture is great. Just got the 55" for my other Living Room and so far so good. I'd recommend reading reviews and doing your homework on them before you make a decision as to what would be the best fit for you and what your looking for. Good Luck!

So I'm breaking down and buying my first flat screen/HDTV. (Ironically, the Mrs. wants it but I could care less). I've done some research but could use some help with the following pointed questions. FYI, we've already decided on an LCD (v. plasma) in the 37" to 42" range.

- Anti-blur technology? Sounds like the "protective undercoating" car salesmen try to dupe people into. What's the deal-e-o?

- prior Huddle posts have strongly recommended Samsung or Mitsubishi. Thoughts for or against?

- I don't have, nor will I ever care to have, "bluray." How does that impact my buying decision?

- 720p v. 1080p. Given my desired TV size (37" to 42") is the 1080p going to make any discernible difference? (My understanding is that it has a much greater impact or the larger TVs).

- some newer TVs have wireless internet access built in that seems cool for connecting to Netflix online, Pandora, etc. First, does it work as advertised? Second, is it worth the $200-$300 premium that seems to be associated with it?

TIA

I'm not a tech guy either. My only advice would be to go bigger. They're practically giving them away now.

Still really impressed with my 1080p Samsung more than a year later - in awe at times :schwing!: . A lot of the listed features are just manufacturer mumbo jumbo - there are few standards that allow for apples to apples comparisons. Find one you like at a store - shop for a deal and buy! Keep in mind most stores have the running sets on demo mode and they are overly bright. Look for comparitive picture clarity and smooth motion - if the pic is choppy at all, watching a game won't be very enjoyable.

I have a 40 inch Samsung, 1080P and it is great. You'll eventually get a Blu-Ray player so go 1080P (just because they are getting ridiculously inexpensive anyway). You are also going to have to upgrade your cable service for the HD package. Standard Def really does suck comparatively.

You might as well get it before the Super Bowl at this point.

Enjoy it!

IMO, bigger than a 40" TV starts to get obnoxious. It's just not my style.

We recently got the LG 37 inch LCD and love it. We are not techies either so I had to do some homework first. It was around $700. We went small cuz the wifey likes the cherry wood armoire in the living room and thats all that will fit. Its fine for viewing and its a fairly large room. Sales guy talked me into 1080 because I like sports (probably doesn't matter but it wasn't that much more). I also got a blueray DVD player so it was a better combo anyway. None of this stuff had wireless capability, but I just ran a cable from my router down to the TV and get instant netflix and pandora, which is really nice.

Oh yeah, the blu ray movie quality is awesome. You'll be glad you have that capability.

Edited by whoopazz

TIA

Honestly, judging my your comments, you can go into any store like a best buy and walk away with any TV and be happy. I would get a 42" 1080p not because you will notice a difference but to "future proof" you for a longer period of time. 1080p will become the standard that stays around for a while. If you find a dela that you can get a 720p for MUCH cheaper then go for it, but from what I am seeing 1080p sets are about the same cost as 720p sets.

If you are patiant and want a good deal, I would scour websites like slickdeals.net and find a 42" TV that goes up for sale. I am sure within a week or 10 days a TV will pop.

I never used the wireless internet access stuff on a TV because I have no reason to. I have a wired conenction to my location and use Vudu box.

If you want to shell out money get a Sony or Samsung high end models (eg XBR on Sony) but if you don't want to (and basing by your needs you shouldnt) I would lean towards a Sharp. Sharp have a good picture and they are reliable. Vizios you can probably get a great deal and they do have a decent picture but they also go in for repairs more so than other brands such as Sharp (from what I read). Keep in mind, that Vizios do have a higher failure rate, this rate is still LOW so don't get freaked out by it. It's not like 4 out of 10 are going to fail, just higher # than rest from my understanding.

I believe you were reading a post about a projection LCD HDTV. Mitsubishi is very good in that categroy, but these are the big box-like HDTVs, not a flat panel. Mitsubishi flat panel LCDs have the poorest reliability of all flat panel LCDs according to consumer reports. The next three worst are Westinghouse, Hitachi, and Magnavox.

For flat panel LCD, historically many people on the board like Samsung and Sony. I'd say LG and Panasonic are solid as well. I bought my parents a 32" Panny, and it looks very good. Although I own one that I like quite a bit, Toshiba is a little hit and miss through the years. Vizio continues to improve, but picture quality can vary quite a bit from model to model. I personally don't care for the picture quality of any Westinghouse, Phillips, or Magnavox that I've seen in person compared to the others above.

Which brings up the #1 thing. Look at the TV in person. Play with the menu and picture controls. See if there is a factory default settings reset or manually put all picture settings at the middle point. Many stores jack up brightness and contrast to make a TV look good in the store. Don't be embarrassed to go into a store and get in depth on the TV you are looking at. In the end, its your cash and your eyes that matter the most.

My 2 cents.

- Anti-blur technology? Sounds like the "protective undercoating" car salesmen try to dupe people into. What's the deal-e-o? You won't see blur regardless so don't worry about it.

- prior Huddle posts have strongly recommended Samsung or Mitsubishi. Thoughts for or against? I have a Samsung and would suggest them or Sony, but every model has it's fans/detractors.

- I don't have, nor will I ever care to have, "bluray." How does that impact my buying decision? Shouldn't matter

- 720p v. 1080p. Given my desired TV size (37" to 42") is the 1080p going to make any discernible difference? (My understanding is that it has a much greater impact or the larger TVs). At a 40" you probably wouldn't notice the difference unless you are sitting extremely close. I would go with a 720p to save some bucks (especially since you are not going bluray)

- some newer TVs have wireless internet access built in that seems cool for connecting to Netflix online, Pandora, etc. First, does it work as advertised? Second, is it worth the $200-$300 premium that seems to be associated with it? Sorry man, haven't gotten to play with those so I have no idea.

TIA

I have a 40 inch Samsung, 1080P and it is great. You'll eventually get a Blu-Ray player so go 1080P (just because they are getting ridiculously inexpensive anyway). You are also going to have to upgrade your cable service for the HD package. Standard Def really does suck comparatively.

You might as well get it before the Super Bowl at this point.

Enjoy it!

Yeah, that's what I went with. 40" Samsung 1080p LED, 120hz. It was the same sale price all over town, but for that same price one store threw in a free blueray and a wireless network adapter so I can I'll be able to do netflix and pandora online stuff, which I'll probably use more than the blueray itself. Grabbed a Bose sound system while I was at it because my current subwoofer is shot, anyways.

But now I'm going through buyer's remorse second guessing a similar Samsung with 240hz, but LCD rather than LED. They were basically the same price, with minor pros and cons. The LCD was bigger, heavier, and did NOT come with the free blue ray, but it did have a *slightly* better picture when I was watching the pro bowl. Not sure I'll notice or care over the long term, though.

Yeah, that's what I went with. 40" Samsung 1080p LED, 120hz. It was the same sale price all over town, but for that same price one store threw in a free blueray and a wireless network adapter so I can I'll be able to do netflix and pandora online stuff, which I'll probably use more than the blueray itself. Grabbed a Bose sound system while I was at it because my current subwoofer is shot, anyways.

But now I'm going through buyer's remorse second guessing a similar Samsung with 240hz, but LCD rather than LED. They were basically the same price, with minor pros and cons. The LCD was bigger, heavier, and did NOT come with the free blue ray, but it did have a *slightly* better picture when I was watching the pro bowl. Not sure I'll notice or care over the long term, though.

Don't sweat the 240hz. You got 1080p/120 and I predict you'll use the blu ray far more than you anticipate once you finally use it.

Don't sweat the 240hz. You got 1080p/120 and I predict you'll use the blu ray far more than you anticipate once you finally use it.

The 240hz LEDs we're amazing with blueray. But I guess they are only making 240hz LEDs in larger TVs like 50" plus. Oh well.

Sigh...please take the Bose back and get something worth the money. For the amount of $$$ you've spent on Bose you could have twice the sound performance from and brand or brands. Or conversely, you could have gotten the same sound at half the price.

Sigh...please take the Bose back and get something worth the money. For the amount of $$$ you've spent on Bose you could have twice the sound performance from and brand or brands. Or conversely, you could have gotten the same sound at half the price.

Bose was the only configuration that sounded good with just two speakers and a subwoofer (which I all I'm willing to deal with). Everything else had five speakers plus the sub, or sucked with just two speakers. But if you've got recommendations for something else I can look at I'm certainly all ears.

+1

Bose sucks a major one. You pay for their marketing hype.

The 240hz LEDs we're amazing with blueray. But I guess they are only making 240hz LEDs in larger TVs like 50" plus. Oh well.

If you're jumping up from standard def to hd for the first time with your set you'll realize you have more TV than you'll really know what to do with.