[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question about unemployment...

muck

I was talking to a guy today (his office is down the hall from mine) about his job; he's a recruiter for the Air Force Reserves.

Among other things he told me, he said that the Air Force was taking guys up to 35yrs old and the Army would look to add guys who were older than 40yrs ... and ... he told me that all branches are accepting college educated people who are in reasonably good shape and good medical histories into the military starting at 2nd Lieutenant making around $6,000 / month (including housing allowance). After 2yrs, they'd be eligible to be promoted to 1st Lieutenant (and a pay raise) with another promotion 2-4yrs later...etc... Retirement after 20yrs with pay at 50% of your wage at retirement (officers hitting 20yrs today are making $100-120,000, depending on rank, so they'd get 1/2 of that after retirement), plus health benefits for life.

Question 1: Why aren't more 25-40 year olds thinking about entering the military for at least a couple of years and wait out the economic doldrums?

Question 2: If you lost your job, would you think about joining the military?

Question 1: Why aren't more 25-40 year olds thinking about entering the military for at least a couple of years and wait out the economic doldrums?

1.) the whole possibility of being in 2 wars and death can be a deterrent. Plus they think that continually going back to school to get advanced degrees/staying in longer is a better option, IMO.

2.) I had a detached retina and lost around 30 degrees of periphial vision in one eye. back in college I was in ROTC, but poor vision disqualified me at the time. I dont think I would be accepted. But if it was the only way to support my family and I could get in . . . . . you're damn right I would.

I was talking to a guy today (his office is down the hall from mine) about his job; he's a recruiter for the Air Force Reserves.

Among other things he told me, he said that the Air Force was taking guys up to 35yrs old and the Army would look to add guys who were older than 40yrs ... and ... he told me that all branches are accepting college educated people who are in reasonably good shape and good medical histories into the military starting at 2nd Lieutenant making around $6,000 / month (including housing allowance). After 2yrs, they'd be eligible to be promoted to 1st Lieutenant (and a pay raise) with another promotion 2-4yrs later...etc... Retirement after 20yrs with pay at 50% of your wage at retirement (officers hitting 20yrs today are making $100-120,000, depending on rank, so they'd get 1/2 of that after retirement), plus health benefits for life.

1. I don't know.

2. Hell yeah, I'd love some really cheap ammo, and new toys to play with.

FWIW:

I'm not sure why someone would not join the Navy or Air Force as their deployment rates today are far lower than they are for the Army. The AF guy I spoke to said that if someone signed up for the Army they would definately be deployed to Iraq or Afganistan. So the whole "fear of dying" would apply to those going to the Army much moreso than those going to the Navy or AF.

Now, regarding whether or not I'd sign up for the military if (i) I would be accepted (health, etc) to officer candidate school ...and... (ii) it was the only obvious way I could try to provide food / shelter for my family ... absolutely and without a doubt. Would it be my first choice? No. But, it'd probably be far better than going to work for some random company in a very dead end job with crappy pay just so I wouldn't have to move anywhere.

FWIW:

I'm not sure why someone would not join the Navy or Air Force as their deployment rates today are far lower than they are for the Army. The AF guy I spoke to said that if someone signed up for the Army they would definately be deployed to Iraq or Afganistan. So the whole "fear of dying" would apply to those going to the Army much moreso than those going to the Navy or AF.

Now, regarding whether or not I'd sign up for the military if (i) I would be accepted (health, etc) to officer candidate school ...and... (ii) it was the only obvious way I could try to provide food / shelter for my family ... absolutely and without a doubt. Would it be my first choice? No. But, it'd probably be far better than going to work for some random company in a very dead end job with crappy pay just so I wouldn't have to move anywhere.

1.) good points on the other branches of the military versus the Army.

2.) If you have a college degree I would be shocked if you WERE NOT in OCS when you talked to a recruiter.

It's not all gravy. As an officer if you are passed up for promotion from Captain to Major three times, then you are booted from the service. That gives you 10 to 12 years guaranteed. The rest is not in any way, shape or form, guaranteed. Also, regardless of whether your initial deployment is to a war zone or not, you want to get your ticket punched (figuratively) there. In military culture, all other things being equal, those with conflict duty on their record will get promoted over those that don't have it. Finally, those that come from the Academies have a higher chance of promotion than those that aren't from there. Right, wrong or otherwise, that's the reality.

Now, with all that being said, the military is still not a bad option and if I wasn't out of the target age group, I might seriously consider it.

why does the movie stripes come to mind when i think of a platoon made up of huddlers? :wacko:

I honestly think that we'd make up one bad ass unit! Where are all the P90X fellas? They ready to go yet? :D

For some the choice already is GED v. IED. I think that speaks volumes about both those who choose to remain unemployed and the government they aren't willing to risk their lives for.

But I'd have no problem joining the military, if it was my best option. I've guided young people away from it when they had better options (full ride to college, for example). And I've guided them toward it when their other alternatives were borrowing $30,000 to become an apprentice car mechanic in an economy that is firing a lot of mechanics. The military is actually offering pretty sweet deals and can be a legit career choice. My cousin is a Lt. Col., Annapolis graduate, and is probably making more than I do practicing law. (plus he gets to fly planes and blow stuff up). It *can* be a nice gig... as long as you're more than just meat for the grinder.

Edited by yo mama

FWIW:

I grew up the kid of an Air Force lifer, that was great. Growing up I always envied kids who didn't move every 3 years, My kids are going to grow up in the same house hopefully. I'm concerned about all the things they'll never get to see as a result.

If the Navy still has Med Cruises and West Pacs like when I was in, tough for a family. That's a long time gone every few years on top of the normal gone. Navy has a pretty high divorce rate, or it did in the early 1990s when I was in.

I'll never do it again. 4 years and 1 war was plenty.

I wonder whch branch has the lowest divorce rate?

I wonder which one ha the best advancement opportunities for officers who did not go to an academy?

I also wonder about the coast guard? Is that pretty much the same deal (age restrictions, etc) as the AF and Navy? I'd imagine that the Marines wouldn't want anyone as old as 35yrs, though...

:wacko:

I was in the Air Force from 92-96 and hated it. I can't imagine a scenario where I'd join again, but if my options were limited, I guess anything could be considered. I guess it can't be worse than the corporate world, so if corporate work is your life/future, you'd probably be dumb to NOT join the military. Assuming you have a degre and a mid-high level corporate job now, you get a handsome salary with free housing and food stipens, discounted travel, extra pay for anything above and beyond your normal job, pension (although, I'd be a bit worried about the govt's ability to pay off debt in the future) - what's not to like if that's your bag.

I would do it if I had to support my family. I cannot imagine however that I couldn't find a job somewhere on Earth. That being said being in the USAF sounds better than surveying pipelines in Nigeria for 5-10 years.

I also wonder about the coast guard?

Dunno about the particulars, but I've often heard the CG is the red-headed stepchild of the armed services - chronically and possibly cripplingly underfunded, undermanned, and responsible for security of our coasts, ports, and oh yeah, rescue of boaters unlucky and/or dumb enough to get themselves in a bad spot.

:wacko:

1. Enlistment quotas are pretty high due to the economic stress these days. Even the Army is getting higher quality youth right now.

2. Army = 15 month rotations in Iraq / Afghanistan. Air Force = 6 month rotations. Not sure what the Marines / Navy do.

3. Air Force and Navy can do their jobs long range instead of setting foot in the sand. Air Force can do remote control surveillance/bombing missions in Iraq from the comfort of Las Vegas, NV.

4. Retirement is 50% of the base pay. It does not include housing, food, or location pay. Pretty cool retirement plan for doing 20 years, minus the possibility of death or disfigurement. If you get medically retired, you may only get a severance bonus instead of the retirement pay.

5. Divorce rate goes up for each deployment you have.

2 Lts don't make freakin $6k/month. Their base pay is barely more than half that....housing allowance varies a LOT depending on location but is typically $1000/mo or less.

I suspect "colleged educated" means "4 yr degree" but have to wonder what other things he's fluffing up. Frankly sounds like a classic mil recruiter.

They don't wanna get whacked, mostly. Also they have a lot of movie stereotype ideas about the military and don't want Sgt Slaughter barking at them while they storm up n down Hamburger Hill (or whatever).

Hypothetically, yeah.

It's not all gravy. As an officer if you are passed up for promotion from Captain to Major three times, then you are booted from the service.
Which aint gonna happen unless you're a serious f- up.

Finally, those that come from the Academies have a higher chance of promotion than those that aren't from there. Right, wrong or otherwise, that's the reality.
Pretty sure that's much less a reality than has been traditionally or is often perceived. In fact it's scarcely a reality at all until you're going for the higher ranks.

But you're right, it's not all gravy.

Bottom line, I would think that if I'm a recruiter for the military, I'm calling everyone on the unemployment rolls. I would think that this would have to be a good gig for many currently out of work, wouldn't it?

Bottom line, I would think that if I'm a recruiter for the military, I'm calling everyone on the unemployment rolls. I would think that this would have to be a good gig for many currently out of work, wouldn't it?

Not really.

It isn't the WORST gig, but the pay ceiling is limited; you are locked in for at LEAST 2 yrs, like it or not; and you have a strong chance of being sent off to armpit and not having all your body parts come back with you if you come back at all.

McDonald's can't match the benefits but the downside is significantly less.

Not really.

It isn't the WORST gig, but the pay ceiling is limited; you are locked in for at LEAST 2 yrs, like it or not; and you have a strong chance of being sent off to armpit and not having all your body parts come back with you if you come back at all.

Overall there is a good chance, but "deploying" doesn't equate to "front lines" for one, and for another it depends a LOT on what service you join and what your job (aka career field) is.

Re the pay, when you look at the whole picture (pay and benefits) good luck finding a job anywhere near as good requiring no skills - WAY more so for officers, but also for enlisted. Oh yeah they pay you while they are training you in your career field, vs having to pay for it elsewhere. Oh did I mention (count em) 6 weeks of paid vacation a year? I know VPs who don't get that.

It's not to be taken lightly for sure, and Lord knows it can suck in a variety of ways besides just the health endangerment, but on the whole IMO it's one hell of a deal.

ACTUAL bottom line: rather than blindly extending unemployment benefits (again), could we just hand out applications for the military, assuming the person is otherwise qualified? It's one thing to provide unemployment benefits to someone who is looking for a job but can't find one. It's another thing entirely to (continue) providing unemployment benefits to people who are turning down job offers.

when you look at the whole picture (pay and benefits) good luck finding a job anywhere near as good requiring no skills - WAY more so for officers, but also for enlisted. Oh yeah they pay you while they are training you in your career field, vs having to pay for it elsewhere. Oh did I mention (count em) 6 weeks of paid vacation a year? I know VPs who don't get that.

It's not to be taken lightly for sure, and Lord knows it can suck in a variety of ways besides just the health endangerment, but on the whole IMO it's one hell of a deal.

I find it difficult to believe this is real. No skills? Hell of a deal? :wacko:

Edited by Ursa Majoris