[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bunning single handedly stops employment for thousands

bpwallace49

What a douchebag

I understand if you have issues with finacial spending in gubmnet . . but why the hell would you do this to thousands of people that have been laid off and are GUARANTEED to put all that money BACK in the economy by spending it for essential needs? Ther isnt ANY other bill he could make this stand on?

His own party cant wait to get rid of him, and a lot of the GOP is behind this extension for "Main Street" people.

Why am I not surprised that we see a bunch of posted articles slamming Obama, but a rogue Republican blocks funds for thousands and not a peep. :wacko:

Looks to me like Bunning either doesn't want to put us in a larger deficit with the added spending, or he is

as petty as the Obama administration is over slamming health care down our throats.

That is just flat out dumb. That measure has bi-partisan support, as it directly affects thousands of people that are out of work. Not the time to be railing against deficits.

Connecting health care with this is ignorant as hell . . .

That is just flat out dumb. That measure has bi-partisan support, as it directly affects thousands of people that are out of work. Not the time to be railing against deficits.

Connecting health care with this is ignorant as hell . . .

Let me connect them for you,

Obamas' only attempt at fixing the economy was a pork filled, one/two year government contract jobs stimulus. All his

other time has been spent on trying to build his legacy by forcing down a health care bill that 75% of us don't want.

If he spent half as much time trying to fix our economy, create jobs, as he did on health care, maybe he wouldn't need

one vote from a senile old man.

Obviously his priorities are in his self interest as our countries most crucial problem is the state of our economy, and

health care is something that can be dealt with after words.

Let me connect them for you,

Obamas' only attempt at fixing the economy was a pork filled, one/two year government contract jobs stimulus. All his

other time has been spent on trying to build his legacy by forcing down a health care bill that 75% of us don't want.

If he spent half as much time trying to fix our economy, create jobs, as he did on health care, maybe he wouldn't need

one vote from a senile old man.

Obviously his priorities are in his self interest as our countries most crucial problem is the state of our economy, and

"Obama" didnt need this vote.

However thousands of unemployed americans, and their Dem AND GOP reps DID.

Bunning is screwing over "main street" to make a point. Why the hell didnt he do this on a bill that wont screw over people who are already in dire straits?

"...that has allowed him to block the extension until the Senate find $10.3 billion in spending cuts elsewhere to fund the safety-net spending."

I think that it is not unreasonable for a Senator to ask that something like this actually be funded before writing another check... and for all of the crying about how important it is, and how immediately it is needed, I would think that the other Senators involved would be working overtime to find those spending cuts.

I think that it is not unreasonable for a Senator to ask that something like this actually be funded before writing another check... and for all of the crying about how important it is, and how immediately it is needed, I would think that the other Senators involved would be working overtime to find those spending cuts.

I think there are a MILLION things that are government funded that noone has a clue where the funds are gonna come from. Why choose one that's gonna pummel a million Americans? Immediately I might add.

it seems like kind of a dumb move to me, but let's at least put what he's doing in context:

In January, the Senate joined the House in passing "pay-as-you-go" rules to require Congress to pay for new discretionary spending. On Feb. 12, President Obama signed the bill. "Now Congress will have to pay for what it spends, just like everybody else," Obama crowed. Less than a month later, Obama and fellow Democrats are busily demonizing a lone senator for pushing Washington to spend responsibly. It seems this administration is all for fiscal restraint -- as long as you don't mean it.

The story began last week when Sen. Jim Bunning, R-Ky., blocked Senate passage of a bill to extend one month unemployment and COBRA health insurance benefits, and other spending, because it did not comply with PAYGO. As the Baseball Hall-of-Famer explained, "When 100 senators are for a bill, and we can't find $10 billion to pay for it, there's something the matter, seriously the matter, with this body." For that, he is Satan.

On Sunday, The New York Times ran a story about the Bunning brouhaha without mentioning why Bunning was blocking the bill. A CNN television crawl warned: "Thousands hurt by one senator." Veep Joe Biden lamented the prospect of a single senator filibustering a measure, and wished, as Politico reported, only that the senator would have to explain to the families of the Americans who could lose their benefits "how they're going to get by."

It's a heartbreaking scenario -- but it can be avoided if Capitol Hill leaders either find the $10 billion in a government that spends $3.8 trillion annually or the 60 votes needed to bring the bill to the Senate floor.

A month ago, Democrats were suggesting the Repubs were phony tightwads for not joining them in support of PAYGO. It turns out, PAYGO is the phony. Two weeks after it became law, the Senate passed a $15 billion jobs bill exempt from PAYGO. Now Bunning is not budging. As spokesman Mike Reynard put it, "If everyone's serious about PAYGO, let's act like it."

I used to like the concept, and remember arguing with Brian Riedl of the libertarian- leaning Heritage Foundation. But he was right. As he said Monday, "PAYGO exists as a talking point in order to create the illusion of fiscal responsibility while they're ignoring it. It's designed for TV ads."

And: "The offsets are out there. Congress just has to make a difficult decision for once."

"Obama" didnt need this vote.

However thousands of unemployed americans, and their Dem AND GOP reps DID.

Bunning is screwing over "main street" to make a point. Why the hell didnt he do this on a bill that wont screw over people who are already in dire straits?

As far as I'm aware, their is 70 some odd Billion dollars of unspent stimulus money still in Obamas pocket.

Looks like Obama is screwing over "main street" holding on to it instead of using it for the people already

in dire straits.

Maybe he needs it for some more payoffs instead.

Looks like Obama is screwing over "main street" holding on to it instead of using it for the people already

in dire straits.

Sounds like your describing the last administration.....

As far as I'm aware, their is 70 some odd Billion dollars of unspent stimulus money still in Obamas pocket.

in dire straits.

Maybe he is going to give the $70B to more millionaires on Wall Street or to bail out banks that are too big to fail?

Or GM? :wacko:

They sure did get their money quickly. Remember the "we have to do this now or we're all doomed" scenarios that the politicians and economists lied to us about?

The funding for this should come from the states and not the federal government.

+1 This is really the way it should be as the local governments have as much if not more to do with unemployment being where it does as the federal government. If it were all the federal governments fault we would see the unemployment numbers the same from state to state. I'm of the opinion that Government rarely if ever creates jobs but that a restrictive government can surely kill jobs whether it be the federal government or a state government.

It is not unreasonable, in fact it appears as if this lone senator is committing political suicide to do the right thing, and actually abide by the law. Like others have said, we should be able to find $15 Billions somewhere. How much is our foreign aid budget? Maybe we should start looking after our own people first.

Keep on spinning Az . . . keep on promoting what the right spoon feeds you . . well done. :wacko:

This has unfortunately become typical. You basically accuse Az of being a mindless robot, yet you don't refute a single thing he says. What did he post that was factually wrong? Of the facts he posted, what do you disagree with? Did congress not just get finished passing and Obama sign pay as you go legislation with much fanfare? BTW that is one piece of legislation that has been passed that unless there is some kind of rider tagged onto it that I fully agree with and applaud Reid, Pelosi and Obama for.

forgive me if I'm wrong, but did'nt this guy already state that this will be his last term?

You very well may be right. Point being he is doing the right thing instead of the popular thing. Isn't that what we've all said we need more of in our elected officials. Again, to my knowledge Bunning hasn't said he doesn't want the bill to pass, he just wants it paid for. How hard can it be to find $15 Billion to cut somewhere?

You very well may be right. Point being he is doing the right thing instead of the popular thing. Isn't that what we've all said we need more of in our elected officials. Again, to my knowledge Bunning hasn't said he doesn't want the bill to pass, he just wants it paid for. How hard can it be to find $15 Billion to cut somewhere?

We all definitely want our elected officials to do the right thing. I just think he chose a horrible spot to make a stand.

You're right, I would'nt think it'd be hard to cut money from somewhere, foreign aid would be a great place to start IMO ( like you stated above).

Keep on spinning Az . . . keep on promoting what the right spoon feeds you . . well done. :wacko:

Az is one of the most intelligent posters here at the Huddle. He always brings something of substance to any argument that he chooses to enter into. This particular response seems rather appropriate to the debate as well. And your only response is to insult and dismiss him?

Look, we get it. You don't like or agree with Conservative ideas. You seem like if you gave a little effort you might be able to hold an honest conversation on some of these ideas though... but you keep consistently choosing the lame Have to agree here! route instead. Is that who you want to be?

Is any response that you disagree with spin? Does someone who consistently espouses Conservative ideas really have to be a mindless spoon fed robot in your world? Or is it possible that people might just promote Conservative ideas, responses and solutions because that's what they actually believe?

Perch the guy admitted he was a lame duck, HIS OWN PARTY doesnt support him, and if you want to make an ideological stand, why screw with people that desperately need that money immediately? It isnt like there are any other bills that he could potentially hold up. I dont care that he has a problem with funding of programs, hell, MOST of us do. But to cherry pick this program (and to have Az defend it) is reprehensible.

This is for Americans that lost their jobs last year because of the economy. But I guess we dont want to support them, huh?

Odd that Bunning didnt require $636 billion in cuts when was strongly defending an appropriations bill for defense last fall? :wacko: Where are those cuts to offset? Hypocricy at its finest . . . . .

Odd that Bunning didnt require $636 billion in cuts when was strongly defending an appropriations bill for defense last fall? :wacko: Where are those cuts to offset? Hypocricy at its finest . . . . .

Bingo. It'm more of the "look at me" politics in Washington. Who will it be next week?