[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Top 10 most expensive video games budgets ever

driveby

That is unbelievable. A little scary, even. And notice how it's all shoot em ups except for one (OK some might be an RPG/shoot em combo but still)?

And granted I'm not familiar w/a lot of these, but I'm betting in the final analysis I bet I'd take Doom over most if not all. (still PO'd they didn't make a "real" DOOM 3 ie not some hack game which whored the name and looked/sounded nothing like it) Although probably just as well, I don't do a lot of gaming any more and don't need an excuse :wacko:

Hmm, not surprised to see GTA4 on there. You don't get an immersive world like GTA series for cheap. That kind of detail has to take a small army of people to make it happen. Although half that production cost was probably in lawyers fees to block all the "family values/games turns kids into killers" nuts out there.

When it comes to sheer production values, sheer amount of features, the details, no game beats Grand Theft Auto 4. The scope of the production dwarfs any other game: over 1,000 people worked on the game for over 3 and a half years, doing everything from studying New York city with cameras that recorded city traffic for months,

?? And that was necessary because-?

Although I bought Grand Theft 3 some years back off the $8.95 rack because I heard it was so great (and wtph, $8.95) - didn't get the appeal to be honest.

Although I bought Grand Theft 3 some years back off the $8.95 rack because I heard it was so great (and wtph, $8.95) - didn't get the appeal to be honest.

Yeah, I can see that. GTA 3 pales in comparison to what they did after that in GTA:Vice City and GTA:San Andreas. If GTA3 was released today it would probably be seen as average to below average. It is almost 10 years old now. It was pretty amazing in comparison to what was out at the time however.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

I've bought into the hype of the GTA series a few times but I always get bored with those.

Bored?! How often can you walk into a diner, eat a burger, then whip out a shotgun and blow a hole in the girl behind the counter?? Then stroll back to your stolen cop car and go deliver Josh Gordon for your Jamaican buddy who supplies you with cheap guns from the trunk of his car???

Best. Game. Ever. :wacko:

Bored?! How often can you walk into a diner, eat a burger, then whip out a shotgun and blow a hole in the girl behind the counter?? Then stroll back to your stolen cop car and go deliver Josh Gordon for your Jamaican buddy who supplies you with cheap guns from the trunk of his car???

You've never been to Detroit? ETA: Or Chicago?

Edited by TimC

I can't believe gran turismo 5 still isn't out yet. the prologue is awesome. butthe way life is now, I will never be able to become immersed in the game, completing all the gold license tests and everything like I did in GT4 and the ones previous.

Dirt 2 is an awesome racing game too.

Back in the day, when I was a total Nintendo dork, me and a buddy used to come up with game ideas, including music. The game companies, at that time, were very open to new ideas and accepted these ideas, as primitive as they were, with open arms. I may still have some correspondence from those companies saying, in effect "thanks but no thanks".

In any case, looks like I should have probably kept going with all that.... 100 million? Holy crap!

Nah man... That's the problem. The only real draw is to do random mayhem. Which can be fun... for awhile. I need some kind of real story, character development to make it worth investing my time in. I don't want a game to check email, go on virtual dates, play pool, run on a treadmill, etc. At some point they try to be everything to everybody and it just feels like there isn't enough substance when all is said and done to make it worth the time. The same flaws find there way into every version of GTA and the core gameplay is about the same after 7+ years. Steal this car, go shoot those people, drug deal gone wrong, etc. ::D

Nah man... That's the problem. The only real draw is to do random mayhem. Which can be fun... for awhile. I need some kind of real story, character development to make it worth investing my time in. I don't want a game to check email, go on virtual dates, play pool, run on a treadmill, etc. At some point they try to be everything to everybody and it just feels like there isn't enough substance when all is said and done to make it worth the time. The same flaws find there way into every version of GTA and the core gameplay is about the same after 7+ years. Steal this car, go shoot those people, drug deal gone wrong, etc. ::wacko:

I'm about 19% in, and it's my understanding that at some point I will get to see t!tties. I also can't wait to get my hands on the grenade launcher.

I imagine I won't still be playing in 6-12 months, but for now it's great mindless fun.

does anyone have a list of the profitability of these games?

three of the games (APB, l.a. noire and gran turismo 5) have yet to be released. i would guess that too human and shenmue probably lost money. the rest i'm sure were profitable. grand theft auto 4 probably had $100 million in pre-sales alone.

three of the games (APB, l.a. noire and gran turismo 5) have yet to be released. i would guess that too human and shenmue probably lost money. the rest i'm sure were profitable. grand theft auto 4 probably had $100 million in pre-sales alone.

I read that GTA4 has sold 15 million copies worldwide :wacko:

according to the internet :wacko: GTA pulled in $710M in 2008 alone.

The newest Game Informer reports that Modern Warfare 2 has already surpassed the one Billion dollar mark.

Edited by jetsfan