[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If you like fishing you might want to give Obama a call, Oh wait he's not listening

Perchoutofwater

You knowe, that an excellent idea perch. Anyone interested in doing an East Coast Huddle party boat/fishing trip this year?

Or make it to the H8tank luv boat tour during WCOFF in Vegas.

No, I'm serious. We could get a group together and get on a boat out of Maryland.

This is the first I've even heard of this story. It sounds like a pretty big deal... wonder why it hasn't gotten any press (or have I just missed it)?

Maybe this has something to do with it?

As a sportsman who covers fisheries management and politics I do think there are many issues surrounding the Interagency Ocean Policy Task Force and its eventual recommendations that all fishermen should be aware of and concerned about.

But to go from concern to suggesting that President Obama is about to ban fishing in America is the most absurd and irresponsible thing I have ever seen a major news outlet publish. There is not even a remote possibility that a standing president of the United States will outlaw fishing in America.

And yet, Robert Montgomery presents his case that it is about to happen as if it is the most likely thing in the world.

ESPN should have to provide some answer for why they allowed this irresponsible article to be published under their logo.

Good read. I didn't think the ESPN article stated Obama was going to ban fishing, if it did then I must have ignored it as hyperbole. I do think based on both articles the Obama administration will probably increase regulation on both recreational fishermen and commercial fishermen. What forms those regulations will take I don't know. It wouldn't surprise me if they don't lower limits or something like that. On the commercial end, I can see the possible need for regulation but I also question the timing. We are talking about increasing regulation on an industry when unemployment is high and the economy sucks. Almost all regulations cut into profits, which means you either have to cut overhead or increase the price of your product. How much is that fish fillet going to cost you? How many fishermen will be collecting 99 weeks of unemployment do to commercial concerns trying to cut overhead as well as adjust for diminished demand associated with higher prices? Again, I'm not saying additional regulations are not needed, they very well may be needed, but just like the health care proposal I question if doing this in the middle of a recession is the most prudent thing to do.

Perch commerical trawl fishing has decimated certain species due to over fishing. Fish are a renewable resource if managed properly. Do you want a short period with zero regulation or oversight and then destroy the fishing industry for the future? or ensure that commercial fishing remians viable for years to come?

Short sighted fisherman dont givea damn about the future if they "get theirs" now. protection of our boundary waters from foriegn fisherman and responsible fishing would be the best thing. If only that could be done from within . . :wacko:

Perch commerical trawl fishing has decimated certain species due to over fishing. Fish are a renewable resource if managed properly. Do you want a short period with zero regulation or oversight and then destroy the fishing industry for the future? or ensure that commercial fishing remians viable for years to come?

Short sighted fisherman dont givea damn about the future if they "get theirs" now. protection of our boundary waters from foriegn fisherman and responsible fishing would be the best thing. If only that could be done from within . . :wacko:

Just like health care, I'm not saying I'm against regulation of commercial fishing, but I question if the timing is right considering current economic conditions and the unemployment rate, as any regulation done now would make the economy that much worse.

Just like health care, I'm not saying I'm against regulation of commercial fishing, but I question if the timing is right considering current economic conditions and the unemployment rate, as any regulation done now would make the economy that much worse.

Ehh . . you are argue the "time isnt right" until the price of fish triples due to scarcity of resources. there are already warnings and advisories to not purchase certain species due to heavy metal concentrations in the fish. How long do you recommend we wait? :wacko:

The time will never be right. The Federal Government will make certain that we are always on the edge of some crisis or another. Our military has to fight 2 endless wars, our economy is always on the brink of collapse, there is always some disease that is about to kill us without their protection, etc, etc, etc, etc. It will never be a good time for anything anymore.

Ehh . . you are argue the "time isnt right" until the price of fish triples due to scarcity of resources. there are already warnings and advisories to not purchase certain species due to heavy metal concentrations in the fish. How long do you recommend we wait? :wacko:

At least until unemployment is under the 8% Obama said it would be if the stealfromus was passed. No reason for the government to add to that number is there? Is there a problem yes, how big is the problem? I honestly don't know. It seems as though this might be another manufactured crisis in order to pass more regulation, at a time when frankly we can't afford it.

At least until unemployment is under the 8% Obama said it would be if the stealfromus was passed. No reason for the government to add to that number is there? Is there a problem yes, how big is the problem? I honestly don't know. It seems as though this might be another manufactured crisis in order to pass more regulation, at a time when frankly we can't afford it.

Raelly perch? Even with economists on BOTH sides of the aisle have said it was a GOOD thing for the economy? How long are you going to ride that train?

And the alternative is constant inaction . . which seems to be the flavor du jour in Congress nowadays. "Just wait until the next election! THEN we will address all the problems!" Less talk and drawing out the process, more action would make me a lot happier . .

The time will never be right. The Federal Government will make certain that we are always on the edge of some crisis or another. Our military has to fight 2 endless wars, our economy is always on the brink of collapse, there is always some disease that is about to kill us without their protection, etc, etc, etc, etc. It will never be a good time for anything anymore.

+ 1 very well said . . . even for a reb . .