[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brady Quinn on the Block

kpholmes

so, as a Broncos fan... does this kid have anything? Can he be significantly better than Orton? If not "significantly" then eh.

WOW, well, this is a surprise.

Hillis I think will be a great fit in Cleveland, but Quinn in Denver, I'm just not sure. Got him on the cheap too. I wonder what the contingent 2012 consist of? Maybe if he's a starter or not?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now they've traded Quinn for a fullback.

If I was a Browns fan, I'd be pissed. In the past year, they've traded away Kellen Winslow Jr, Braylon Edwards, and Brady Quinn for NOTHING. They released Derek Anderson. Jamal Lewis retires. They replace their one-time Pro Bowl QB, and their first-round-QB-of-the-future with a washed up, turnover-prone Jake Delhomme and career back-up Seneca Wallace. :D

Good thing they re-signed their punt and kick returner though! :wacko:

Edited by CaptainHook

I'm sorry, but this was a steal for the Broncos. They gave up nothing, and got starting QB potential. I have no idea how good Quinn is NFL-wise. But that's because he's been stuck on the Browns. Let's face it, they've traded away every possible NFL-caliber offensive skill player.

Edited by CaptainHook

Except Harrison, who still isn't a lock as the answer at RB. Yep stupid move, basically gave away a guy who had no real chance to prove himself. If he brings in Clausen or Bradford, they better show flashes quickly. Course Holmgren probably only figures on doing this for a few years anyway, so what does he care :wacko:

To be honest, I think bringing in a player such has Hillis was a huge addition to their offense. He is a great blocker and spectacular hands with strong, up the middle running. As Opie mentioned, Denver fans were perplexed why McDaddy didn't capitalize on these attributes last season.

To be candid, I honestly think Cleveland got the better deal!

Edited by BearBroncos

I'm sorry, but this was a steal for the Broncos. They gave up nothing, and got starting QB potential. I have no idea how good Quinn is NFL-wise. But that's because he's been stuck on the Browns. Let's face it, they've traded away every possible NFL-caliber offensive skill player.

No kidding. The Vikings could have easily given up something in that price range to get another option when Favre goes bye bye.

According to everyone that put Quinn in the first round of the draft? He was actually playing pretty well before the injury two years ago. And then in the off-season, they traded all of his WR's and TE's for a box of nickels. He still has more TD's than INT's in his career, even with the garbage put around him.

Edited by CaptainHook

According to everyone that put Quinn in the first round of the draft? He was actually playing pretty well before the injury two years ago. And then in the off-season, they traded all of his WR's and TE's for a box of nickels. He still has more TD's than INT's in his career, even with the garbage put around him.

Jamarcas Russell was put in the first round of the draft. Numero Uno.

I don't really care for the Bronco's and actually enjoy watching them fail year in and year out..

And not that it means much - but I've got a few friends who are Bronco's fans and they're furious about the move. Not that I understand it, but one of them said that they could have got more for Peyton Hillis. LOL

Gotta love the Bronco's homers!

I don't really care for the Bronco's and actually enjoy watching them fail year in and year out..

And not that it means much - but I've got a few friends who are Bronco's fans and they're furious about the move. Not that I understand it, but one of them said that they could have got more for Peyton Hillis. LOL

Gotta love the Bronco's homers!

Wow, you make it sound like the Broncos are mere images of the Lions. They have one of the best owners in the NFL and are one of the most successful franchises in the league!

And furious? I wouldn't go as far as to say that. Quinn will need to fight for the starting position and maybe (I'm not confident in it) McDaddy can make something out of the kid. Regarding Hillis's value, I don't know how you can put a dollar value on the 4 or so games he was a starter. I personally love Hillis and think he will be a premier FB in the NFL but to expect teams to pay big dollars for a player that wasn't even a starter last year? Just doesn't make sense to me!

Edited by BearBroncos

I remember when people were writing off Drew Brees as a bust.after his third year. 6 years into Steve Young's career people were saying what an average or worse QB he was. Rich Gannon was no better than a journeyman for the first 11 years of his career. People couldn't understand why GB would let Favre go when Aaron Rodgers hadn't proven anything other than he got hurt whenever he played.

I'm not saying Quinn will be a star or even an average QB - but I am saying it's WAY too early in his career to know whether he'll be a good QB or not, and no one has a good read on his right now. McDaniels obviously had absolutely no use for Hillis despite some of the flashes he showed his rookie year. Personally I love the guy's game and thought he could have had a much more productive year last year than Moreno - hell, look at what Buckhalter did while McDaniels was blaming Moreno's problems on the O-line.

It's pretty obvious than neither Quinn nor Hillis fit in their current team's plans, so both teams did them a favor and sent them packing into good situations for them. You can't ask for more than that if you've been written off as a player, or if you're the team that has decided the guy doesn't fit into your plan any longer. Right now it's a win-win in that at least both teams got somthing they didn't have before and gave up something they didn't want. It will be interesting to watch both sides of this trade shake out.

TO be honest, BB, I don't ever recall Brees getting written off. If I recall correctly, many fans were pissed that they were cutting Brees for Rivers while Broncos fans were ecstatic that we didn't have to faces Brees twice a year (granted, feeling the same way about Rivers now).

TO be honest, BB, I don't ever recall Brees getting written off. If I recall correctly, many fans were pissed that they were cutting Brees for Rivers while Broncos fans were ecstatic that we didn't have to faces Brees twice a year (granted, feeling the same way about Rivers now).

Really? Some Bronco fans have some awfully interesting memories. Brees as a Charger starter was 2-5 vs DEN, completeing an average per game of 18 for 31 passes (57%) for 158 ypg, and a grand total of 2 passing TDs and 5 INTs in those 7 starts.

I'm not sure those kinds of numbers struck fear into any Bronco fan, or that they wished Brees would go away and take his gaudy passing numbers with him...

Really? Some Bronco fans have some awfully interesting memories. Brees as a Charger starter was 2-5 vs DEN, completeing an average per game of 18 for 31 passes (57%) for 158 ypg, and a grand total of 2 passing TDs and 5 INTs in those 7 starts.

I'm not sure those kinds of numbers struck fear into any Bronco fan, or that they wished Brees would go away and take his gaudy passing numbers with him...

2005, Brees threw for 3,500+ yards @ 65% completion ratio with a 90 passer rating.

2004, Brees threw for 3.100+ yards @ 66% completion ratio with a 105 passer rating.

These are top tier numbers

Granted, the Broncos had the chargers number during the Brees era in San Diego but Brees was already considered a top caliber NFL QB at this time. Each game was a serious fight to win and normally got down and dirty.

2005, Brees threw for 3,500+ yards @ 65% completion ratio with a 90 passer rating.

2004, Brees threw for 3.100+ yards @ 66% completion ratio with a 105 passer rating.

These are top tier numbers

Granted, the Broncos had the chargers number during the Brees era in San Diego but Brees was already considered a top caliber NFL QB at this time. Each game was a serious fight to win and normally got down and dirty.

Those are not top tier numbers. Brees in 2004 & 2005 barely registered on a couple of top 5 lists of meaningful QB stats, and managed to get in to about half of the top 10 lists.

While he wasn't a turd, you could not convincingly call him a top tier QB. Maybe better than average, I'll concede. Top tier? Un-uh. And his numbers and record vs DEN did not make any DEN fans that I know of queasy about his sticking in SD. Rivers spooked a lot more DEN fans I know, and rightfully so - Rivers owns DEN and has put up some pretty stout numbers against them so far.

2004:

3rd in overall passer rating only beat out by Manning and Culpepper.

2005:

A weaker season, but was still 10th overall and was nominated to the pro bowl.

But we digress and detract from the OP. I do see your point, I just have a different interpretation of Bree's career in SD.

Granted, most were blow outs (yes, still defending my initial claim) but if you remember those matches.... Whoa, they were dirty, DIRTY battles.

Brees was not good until Rivers showed up. All Brees did was dump off to the most talented RB in the league at the time, LT. It was very interesting how things changed suddenly when Rivers showed up. And yes, once that happened and Brees finally became successful, people didn't want SD to get rid of him.