[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pledge of Allegiance

muck

I was waiting for the propaganda pitch seeing as it was put forth by a religious faction. Too bad it ends with such a pitch, otherwise it's a pretty damn good reminder of what makes this country great.

On the other side of this coin, I have to wonder about force feeding this message to kids and whether it is a good thing or not. The older I get, the more I question whether the concept of nationalism is just as divisive and ultimately, just as bad for humans as religion is.

Under God.

Does it make us any better to claim God as our own, to claim his hand guiding our actions as a nation than say a Middle Eastern crackpot like Khomeni in Iran? Does anyone seriously think God looks favorably upon man using Him as justification for his earthly actions?

I think it's great for us to try to live up to Godly standards in our conduct as a nation, but have always been weary about man using Him for his selfish purposes.

Under God.

Does it make us any better to claim God as our own, to claim his hand guiding our actions as a nation than say a Middle Eastern crackpot like Khomeni in Iran? Does anyone seriously think God looks favorably upon man using Him as justification for his earthly actions?

I think it's great for us to try to live up to Godly standards in our conduct as a nation, but have always been weary about man using Him for his selfish purposes.

It means under G*d's grace, not claiming our G*ds is better or we're better.

It means under G*d's grace, not claiming our G*ds is better or we're better.

That's a better way to look at it I guess. Though I could counter by saying we are individuals under God's grace, but the formation, existence, and actions of a collective should not claim God's grace guiding and giving complicit approval for their actions. (Which could be a whole other topic about organized religion.)

So are you saying we are one nation, because God willed it? I do recognize that some of our founding fathers probably did feel that way.

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

The main point was people remembering and "getting" the words of the pledge, as well as patriotism, which isn't a sin or a crime or a bad idea in the least (despite the efforts of some to make it so), which should be stating the absurdly obvious which most children can grasp; it's not rocket science - or a call to get dragged down into yet another tedious religion cat fight.

And in that light, props to Red :wacko: Kids SHOULD recite this each day and this explanation should be occasionally heard (minus the whole "God thing" so as to keep the focus on patriotism).

Under God.

I think that God is way too busy listening to athlete requests to worry about the U.S. :wacko:

Wouldn't be an issue, if they changed it back to it's ORIGINAL form, instead of keeping it as influenced by McCarthy-ism in 1954.

The history can be found here.

And a re-edited version of that monologue without the "God" part, is still as valid as the version with it.

BTW: I don't care if they change it or not. I and my children simply skip the "under God" part when we say it. We haven't been arrested yet. :wacko:

What bugs me far more is when folks don't take off their hats, or hold their hands over the hearts when saying it. Shouldn't bother me, I suppose, but it does.

Edited by cre8tiff

Does it make us any better to claim God as our own, to claim his hand guiding our actions as a nation than say a Middle Eastern crackpot like Khomeni in Iran?

About 100 times each summer I see a batter come up to the plate and cross himself. Then the pitcher takes the mound and crosses himself. Then I think "Oh crap, what's god gonna do now?"

About 100 times each summer I see a batter come up to the plate and cross himself. Then the pitcher takes the mound and crosses himself. Then I think "Oh crap, what's god gonna do now?"

Same thing as he always does, punt. Because God loves football.

legit question. How many countries in the world have pledges of allegiance of one kind or another? Why do I have the feeling that most of the 'bad' countries do (not including the US of course). While I do beleive that a sense of national pride is actually a very important thing, having small children repeat oaths just doesn't fit into my model of 'good' nationalism.