[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tea Party travesty

driveby

There MAY be increases (if you don't count the counterbalancing expense reductions) in 2019? That's all you got? :wacko:

If that's what you got from reading the JCT report, then I stand by my statement of last week. You. Are. Addled.

ETA:

Once the law is fully implemented in 2019, the JCT estimates the deduction limitation will affect 14.8 million taxpayers — 14.7 million of them will earn less than $200,000 a year. These taxpayers are single and joint filers, as well as heads of households.

How is that not completely adverse to his lectern-pounding "not one dime" speech?

Edited by westvirginia

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that's what you got from reading the JCT report, then I stand by my statement of last week. You. Are. Addled.

ETA:

How is that not completely adverse to his lectern-pounding "not one dime" speech?

SO you DON'T believe the CBO, but you take as gospel the JCT? Why? Aren't they both government agencies, and therefore the debbil? :wacko:

Protest is the essence of America. It formed the nation. To say people attending these rallies are loons is to say the same of those who dumped tea into Boston Harbor to protest British taxes.

I got this far, then I remembered how anti-war protesters were described by (most likely) the very people who now make up the Tea Party. I guess it depends who is doing the protesting.

Imagine how much fun the years between 2012-2016 would be if Ron Paul won the Presidency from the Tea Party. I mean is it safe to remove the hippies from Obama's teet that suddenly without any damage?

And you are a selective reader whose crystal ball needs a f'n overhaul.

The healthcare law contains tax breaks for individuals purchasing health insurance, but the breaks phase out for those making $88,000 a year.

"Health reform will lower premiums and cap out-of-pocket costs families pay when someone gets sick, which addresses the reason the medical expense tax deduction was created in the first place," she said.

In other words, increases are likely to be balanced out. And it ain't 2019 yet.

SO you DON'T believe the CBO, but you take as gospel the JCT? Why? Aren't they both government agencies, and therefore the debbil? :wacko:

First, where did I say I didn't believe the CBO? Find it. Quote it. I'll wait.

Second is the actual substance. That the law spelling out the tax increases cannot be disputed. The only thing you guys might dispute is that it will affect only people with incomes over $250K, and if you're seriously making that charge, you don't deserve the time I've spent on you so far.

And you are a selective reader whose crystal ball needs a f'n overhaul.

In other words, increases are likely to be balanced out. And it ain't 2019 yet.

Man, you're proof-texting harder than a baptist trying to say drinking alcohol is a sin.

From IBD.

Now the acorn administration is saying we should be thanking him. WTPH? In what f'n dream world does that arrogant SOB live?

Man, you're proof-texting harder than a baptist trying to say drinking alcohol is a sin.

From IBD.

Now the acorn administration is saying we should be thanking him. WTPH? In what f'n dream world does that arrogant SOB live?

A report from the House Ways & Means Committee's GOP members notes that, since January 2009, Congress and the president have enacted $670 billion in tax increases. That's $2,100 for each person in America. At least 14 of those tax hikes, the report says, break Obama's pledge not to raise taxes on those earning less than $250,000. Roughly $316 billion of the tax hikes — 14 increases in all — hit middle-class families, the report says.

Regarding my comment in the other thread, Q E f'n D.

The obvious result of the liberal bias of the mainstream networks.

The show "Running" looks like a reality show I'd actually watch, which would be the first one I've watched since the first season of Survivor.

something doesn't jive with this therory of yours re: the left wing media...

-if Right Wing Talk radio is all the bomb and able to support multiple blabber-mouths and Fox is killing the next five cable news stations, than what exactly is the reason for left wing media? the money is clearly in viewership and listeners - which talk radio and fox news has. with that said - why in the world would they be purposefully putting out a less popular - less profitable product? it doesn't make sense.

-if Right Wing Talk radio is all the bomb and able to support multiple blabber-mouths and Fox is killing the next five cable news stations, than what exactly is the reason for left wing media? the money is clearly in viewership and listeners - which talk radio and fox news has. with that said - why in the world would they be purposefully putting out a less popular - less profitable product? it doesn't make sense.

I've been asking the same question about Pepsi for the past 35 years....

First, where did I say I didn't believe the CBO?

You like CBO projections if they are anti-Obama, if their projections are favorable, you kneejerk against them and downplay the CBO numbers as being something we shouldn't trust. Basically, you do what you do.

I know I've said for a long time, and I think most of the conservatives here agree that we should get rid of all deductions with the possible exception of charitable donations and go to a flat tax if the left is unwilling to go to a straight sales tax. So what both of you are saying is in direct conflict with the views I hold and the views most of the conservatives on this board hold, but it sure is a good talking point.

Well, we were clearly talking about the tea partier movement:

When talking about the Tea Party movement, the largest number of respondents said that the movement’s goal should be reducing the size of government, more than cutting the budget deficit or lowering taxes.

And nearly three-quarters of those who favor smaller government said they would prefer it even if it meant spending on domestic programs would be cut.

But in follow-up interviews, Tea Party supporters said they did not want to cut Medicare or Social Security — the biggest domestic programs, suggesting instead a focus on “waste.”

Some defended being on Social Security while fighting big government by saying that since they had paid into the system, they deserved the benefits.

Others could not explain the contradiction.

“That’s a conundrum, isn’t it?” asked Jodine White, 62, of Rocklin, Calif. “I don’t know what to say. Maybe I don’t want smaller government. I guess I want smaller government and my Social Security.” She added, “I didn’t look at it from the perspective of losing things I need. I think I’ve changed my mind.”

Govt. programs for me = good, govt. programs that benefit other people = bad

Well, we were clearly talking about the tea partier movement:

Govt. programs for me = good, govt. programs that benefit other people = bad

I'm for 50% across the board cuts in everything but Defense, and would go for a significant cut their as well.

I'm for 50% across the board cuts in everything but Defense, and would go for a significant cut their as well.

How you going to cut SS and Medicare 50%? And let's face it, if these aren't brought under control we may as well just give up anyway.

was this an inconvienient question, Perch?

how do the numbers support your left wing media boogie-man?

why would the networks put out a less popular, less profitable product?

How you going to cut SS and Medicare 50%? And let's face it, if these aren't brought under control we may as well just give up anyway.

Obviously it can't be done all at once, but frankly I'd like to see these two programs almost completely phased out over time, only to be left for minors, and people with significant disabilities. My solution would be every two years you increase the qualifying age by a year, until you get to a more reasonable qualifying age, say something like 85 in lieu of 65. I'd also means test both.

Obviously it can't be done all at once, but frankly I'd like to see these two programs almost completely phased out over time, only to be left for minors, and people with significant disabilities. My solution would be every two years you increase the qualifying age by a year, until you get to a more reasonable qualifying age, say something like 85 in lieu of 65. I'd also means test both.

There you go, now you're talking. And at the same time, reduce payments into the two systems - most people forget about the immediate benefits of that. I don't know that I'd go as far as you (certainly not 85) but we are on the same page.

I was talking to someone that went to a SS office and he said he was the only old person there. The place was packed with people filing for SS disability. Screw unemployment...that's only temporary. Disability is the only way to fly nowadays, I guess. :sigh:

I was talking to someone that went to a SS office and he said he was the only old person there. The place was packed with people filing for SS disability. Screw unemployment...that's only temporary. Disability is the only way to fly nowadays, I guess. :sigh:

That right there is one of the biggest threats to societal cohesion - disability is potentially the biggest abuse of all.

was this an inconvienient question, Perch?

how do the numbers support your left wing media boogie-man?

why would the networks put out a less popular, less profitable product?

I don't think the networks intentionally put out the crap that they do. I think that the culture int he media has been so far left for so long that half the time they don't realize they are doing it. It is obvious there is a void, which is why talk radio and FOX News are so successful. Prime time TV, isn't quite as bad as day time (which for the most part is horrible), but sill you end up with shows like Law and Order, which I used to love until they consistently started slamming conservative positions. Frankly NBC has gotten so bad, I rarely watch anything they put out. About the only prime time show that NBC has that I will watch now is Chuck, and that is because thus far they leave politics out of it, and even with Chuck I wait and watch it in rerun season as other networks have better shows. Lord knows I can't stand watching Alec Baldwin and Tina Fey.

I don't think the networks intentionally put out the crap that they do. I think that the culture int he media has been so far left for so long that half the time they don't realize they are doing it. It is obvious there is a void, which is why talk radio and FOX News are so successful. Prime time TV, isn't quite as bad as day time (which for the most part is horrible), but sill you end up with shows like Law and Order, which I used to love until they consistently started slamming conservative positions. Frankly NBC has gotten so bad, I rarely watch anything they put out. About the only prime time show that NBC has that I will watch now is Chuck, and that is because thus far they leave politics out of it, and even with Chuck I wait and watch it in rerun season as other networks have better shows. Lord knows I can't stand watching Alec Baldwin and Tina Fey.

So its not some conspiricy of the left, seeing as how - according to you - they do not do it intentionally.

Now - when viewership of Fox is so much more than like the next three stations combined - how exactly is the 'liberal' media doing anything with policy and opinion that Fox cannot do better - especially because there is little to no left wing presence on an otherwise robust talk radio dial? Especially when the talk radio overlap is so huge. Especially when it is that much easier to harmonize the message.

Liberals can't even get their crap together in congress and get on the same page - do you think that the combined might of what you consider the leftest media is going to be able to harmonize a message.

So what exactly are we still talking about a leftist media for, Perch? Why do many on the right cry about them and say that they control the message? Why are they given any imaginary power at all? I really, really don't understand

See England for how disability can be horribly abused . . .