[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A little beer shopping tonight

Puddy

Picked up Sierra Nevada's variety 12-pack called Beer Camp yesterday. Just had the oatmeal stout and man is it fantastic. This brewery keeps churning out excellent beers at good prices. $17.99 for the 12. I only hope the rest are as good as the stout.

I was bummed that Beer Camp got sold out, cuz it looks like a much better selection than last years that was a bit over the top with beers like the Juniper Black Ale and a Weizenbock that was estery as hell. Not that either were that bad, but cmon, these are supposed to be Summer beers?

Had some couple of really good ones recently. The New Belgium/Alpine Super IPA (Imperial IPA at 9%) is pretty awesome. It's a bit earthy, but has some really tropical hops that are making for some really great IPAs nowadays. The Uinta Dubhe Black IPA also had some very nice pineapple hoppiness to it, and I recommend whether you're a big hophead or not. The beer is actually brewed with hemp seed, and is incredibly complex and well-balanced like a good black IPA should be.

There are also some great limited stuff around ATL right now from Terrapin and Wild Heaven.

• Like 1

For my taste, SN is a bit too in love with hops, but so long as you know that's what you're getting.....

Yeah, I love the hops. Speaking of being a hophead, I had some Sixpoint Resin this week. Whoa mama - talk about your hops.

IThe Uinta Dubhe Black IPA also had some very nice pineapple hoppiness to it, and I recommend whether you're a big hophead or not. The beer is actually brewed with hemp seed, and is incredibly complex and well-balanced like a good black IPA should be.

I also had a glass (poured from bottle) of the Dubhe, which was very enjoyable.

For my taste, SN is a bit too in love with hops, but so long as you know that's what you're getting.....

And don't take this to be me saying that SN makes bad beer; I think their beers tend to be at worst solid to really good, they just aren't on my "preferred" list...but I don't believe I'd refuse one.

Ahh my brother in Malt. Try the tumbler

Speaking of being a hophead, I had some Sixpoint Resin this week. Whoa mama - talk about your hops.

I bought a four pack of Resin twice now. That is a fantastic IPA. Apparently Six Point only sells cans but I could drink that beer anytime. The same with Bear Republic's Racer 5. I was in Myrtle Beach last week and I got to try it on tap. I've always compared IPA's to Bell's Two Hearted. I may need to change the benchmark.

Both Resin and Racer 5 are outstanding.

I had one a couple Saturdays ago, that I can't remember the name or brewery. Such a shame.

It was an IPA using the citra hop and also brewed with grapefruit to give it even more of an ooomph.

The grapefruit was overpowering a bit but it was still very good

I bought a four pack of Resin twice now. That is a fantastic IPA. Apparently Six Point only sells cans but I could drink that beer anytime. The same with Bear Republic's Racer 5. I was in Myrtle Beach last week and I got to try it on tap. I've always compared IPA's to Bell's Two Hearted. I may need to change the benchmark.

Gotta try and find this Resin IPA - sounds tasty. Just rotated off Racer 5 at home last month and replaced with Port High-Tide IPA. I usually think of Bells Two Hearted as being a bit too sweet for me - like something with more of a bite.

Apparently Six Point only sells cans but I could drink that beer anytime.

Yeah, the cans are different, but I like them. Nice for beach or boating. I think Sixpoint calls them nano-kegs, which is fun.

I've also had 21st Amendment: Hop Crisis and Dale's Deviant cans somewhat recently. 21st also makes a Black IPA in cans which I want to have soon.

Picked up Sierra Nevada's variety 12-pack called Beer Camp yesterday. Just had the oatmeal stout and man is it fantastic. This brewery keeps churning out excellent beers at good prices. $17.99 for the 12. I only hope the rest are as good as the stout.

I have to say that SN knocked this out of the park. All four beers, the oatmeal stout (9.0%), Imperial Red Ale (8.1%), Floral IPA (5.9%) and Imperial Pilsner (5.6%) are very good. Gonna see if I can pick up a couple more 12 packs before they disappear.

sundaynfl felt like he owed me some beer when we got together to draft yesterday, he bought some great stuff. the one that really stood out was a belgian IPA called 'le freak' from green flash brewery in CA. belgian IPA is one of those hybrid styles a lot of people like to badmouth for various reasons, but is really getting to be a favorite of mine. big belgian malt profiles with the distinctively complex/fruity/spicy notes from the belgian yeasts -- kinda like a trippel with more hops. it strikes me as a nice combo.

sundaynfl felt like he owed me some beer when we got together to draft yesterday, he bought some great stuff. the one that really stood out was a belgian IPA called 'le freak' from green flash brewery in CA. belgian IPA is one of those hybrid styles a lot of people like to badmouth for various reasons, but is really getting to be a favorite of mine. big belgian malt profiles with the distinctively complex/fruity/spicy notes from the belgian yeasts -- kinda like a trippel with more hops. it strikes me as a nice combo.

Dude, I love Belgian IPAs. Stone's is really tasty as well.

That us a great beer. Had it a few weeks ago on draft at "world of beer"

Count me as one of the ones that doesn't really dig the Belgian IPA style. I love IPAs and certain Belgian beers (though it takes a lot for an American brewed belgian-style to impress me, because most of them other than Ommegang, Allagash and New Belgium's Lips of Faith, just taste very generic and off to me); Though maybe I'm just burnt out on Belgians right now, but some of them are just overly estery and sweet for my taste.

Just curious, are you normally into really hoppy beers? Becuse back when I liked Belgians more than hop bombs, I dug the Belgian IPAs a lot more, whereas now that I drink hoppy beers almost exclusively, every Belgian IPA I taste just tastes like a massive yeast bomb bittered by the hops, rather than them shining through like they should.

I prefer saisons (and sours) for a drier rather than sweet finish and some funkiness going on. On both notes, we just got in a Green Flash saison that I'll report back on when I try.

I have to say that SN knocked this out of the park. All four beers, the oatmeal stout (9.0%), Imperial Red Ale (8.1%), Floral IPA (5.9%) and Imperial Pilsner (5.6%) are very good. Gonna see if I can pick up a couple more 12 packs before they disappear.

I agree. They were all very good, and surprisingly the imperial pils was one of the best I thought. I'd give them props for the oatmeal stout, but it's pretty hard to make a bad one. The Floral IPA actually kinda tasted and smelled like some funky Josh Gordon.

(ETA: I take back what I said about the Stout. I just opened one after dinner, and it is really damn good)

Edited by delusions of grandeur

Dude, I love Belgian IPAs. Stone's is really tasty as well.

Should y'all stumble across Fatty Boombalatty by Furthermore brewing, pick it up (though it's more a Belgian white than Belgian IPA, it is one of those beers I term "trouble" because "oh, I'll have one of these" usually turns into "hey, who drank the six-pack" "You did" "Oh." nights)

Just curious, are you normally into really hoppy beers? Becuse back when I liked Belgians more than hop bombs, I dug the Belgian IPAs a lot more, whereas now that I drink hoppy beers almost exclusively, every Belgian IPA I taste just tastes like a massive yeast bomb bittered by the hops, rather than them shining through like they should.

not especially. I mean, I have nothing against hoppy beers, and often seek them out, but I would say that for most of my absolute favorite beers, hops are more of an accent than a foundation.

Try this beer called Chili Beer...comes with a chili already in the beer...the 6 pack is only $7, but its a perfect blend of spicy and smooth...its my new flavor of the week, but I constantly like to try new brews! When is Mackesons triple x stout coming back to the STATES?!?!?!?

Been saving a few beers for a tasting on opening night which also happens to be my birthday...can't wait to crack these open with the fellas...the list consists of:

Cognag Barrel Aged Darklord

Bourbon Barrel Aged Darklord

Bourbon Barrel Hunaphu's

Apple Brandy Hunahpu's

Goose Island Rare

King Henry

Citra Double IPA

Aroma Coma

Heady Topper

x3 Growlers of Pliny

Good times will be had...

Been saving a few beers for a tasting on opening night which also happens to be my birthday...can't wait to crack these open with the fellas...the list consists of:

Cognag Barrel Aged Darklord

Bourbon Barrel Aged Darklord

x3 Growlers of Pliny

How do you get both Darklords and Pliny? that's fantastic.