[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Should I feel bad about this play?

Cyclones

Local cash game, $2-$4, its a fairly loose game. Standard raise is 3xBB typically. Lots of people will splash around for the $12 even then fold to bets if they miss the flop. 6 handed game.

I'm in the small blind and look at 2 red sevens. Raised by the first to act to $12, called by the button. I raise it to $56, BB folds, original raiser folds, button calls, so there is $140 in the pot.

Flop comes As, 7s, 3s. I lead out $70 and get raised to $185, push all in. Guy thinks for a bit then shows me AdKs, and keeps thinking. I obviously didnt want a call here and told him I had flopped a set. He called after about 3 minutes. Qs hits turn, river blank, and I'm busted.

I'm open to any criticism about what I did wrong here - I felt like this was just one of those hands where all the money was going in. My original buy in for the night was $200.

Local cash game, $2-$4, its a fairly loose game. Standard raise is 3xBB typically. Lots of people will splash around for the $12 even then fold to bets if they miss the flop. 6 handed game.

I'm in the small blind and look at 2 red sevens. Raised by the first to act to $12, called by the button. I raise it to $56, BB folds, original raiser folds, button calls, so there is $140 in the pot.

Flop comes As, 7s, 3s. I lead out $70 and get raised to $185, push all in. Guy thinks for a bit then shows me AdKs, and keeps thinking. I obviously didnt want a call here and told him I had flopped a set. He called after about 3 minutes. Qs hits turn, river blank, and I'm busted.

I'm open to any criticism about what I did wrong here - I felt like this was just one of those hands where all the money was going in. My original buy in for the night was $200.

I don't love the re-raise pre unless you're more than 75% sure you're going to take the pot down right there. From the description of the game, sounds like winning the pot pre was a long shot. After the flop, don't beat yourself up. Getting it all in there with a set against a flush draw (including your redraws if he hits) is positive equity.

Sucks, but "that's poker" (don't you just HATE that cliche?)

What did you think he was holding? With two calls & no raises...I would've thought he had AQ or maybe AJ.

I probably would've played it the same as you. The cards can be cruel.

Edited by buddahj

What did you think he was holding? I probably would've played it the same as you. The cards can be cruel.

I had him on a big ace. With the As on the board, I figured there were only 2 other cards he was going to make that call with, either the K or Q of spades. He lays it down if not holding one of those two.

Woulda been a tough laydown but I would have probably done it. Would have been scared of the flush or at worst, flush draw. You know what ole Kenny Rogers says.

E2A: That said, you shouldn't feel too terrible about it. You had the best hand going in and he needed to hit to win.

2nd Edit: You were a 70/30 to win post-flop. So, yeah.

Edited by darin3

Woulda been a tough laydown but I would have probably done it. Would have been scared of the flush or at worst, flush draw. You know what ole Kenny Rogers says.

E2A: That said, you shouldn't feel too terrible about it. You had the best hand going in and he needed to hit to win.

Yeah - I put him on a big Ace so I was playing under the assumption that I was ahead and thought there was a 60-70% chance he would throw it away.

Yeah - I put him on a big Ace so I was playing under the assumption that I was ahead and thought there was a 60-70% chance he would throw it away.

He just needed one more spade (and again, per my 2nd edit, he was way behind, 70/30) but the odds are there for a looser player.

I don't like the re-raise preflop from out of position with a medium pair. As Sheik points out, unless you take it down, which seemed unlikely given the game description, you are now playing an inflated pot, from out of position, with little more than a set mining hand. In this kind of situation where there is an UTG raise which is usually an indicator of true strength, and a call, I'd prefer to opt for keeping the pot relatively small with this kind of hand.

As played preflop, I don't disagree with the way you played it. Not knowing anything about this player to give an idea of his range in this kind of situation, I would play it the same way against most typical players. Against much tighter players, I may just call the raise and have to let the hand go on the turn when the 4th spade hit.

One more thing, not so much about the hand itself, but about poker in general: When playing no limit, look at your entire stack and ask yourself "Am I comfortable with the fact that I could lose every dollar of this the next hand I play?" If the answer is no, get up. And don't feel bad about it. Even the biggest and best players in the world have an amount that they're not comfortable losing. There have been several hands on High Stakes Poker where this situation has caused the best players in the world to make incorrect decisions.

mehh, it happens.

Can't say you played it wrong considering the game but I don't like the re-raise pre-flop and probably would have folded to the $185 bet post flop with 3 spades on the board