[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jim Joyce

Big F'n Dave

naw, you can't overturn the call and give him the perfect game- Selig made the right call

all in all it has turned into a pretty cool story. Joyce is a stand up guy and is obviously crushed by missing the call and Galarraga had been pure class about it as well. Couple great dudes making the best of it, time to move on

Galarraga knows he threw a perfect game, which is all that really matters

I think that this is pretty much right.

This story kinda transcends sports. I think that the actions of Joyce, Galarraga, Leyland and the Tigers fans yesterday demonstrate just about as pure sportsmanship as you're going to get. Its a lesson for everyone, one that I hope that all parents discuss with their children, particularly if they are involved in sports.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This story kinda transcends sports. I think that the actions of Joyce, Galarraga, Leyland and the Tigers fans yesterday demonstrate just about as pure sportsmanship as you're going to get. Its a lesson for everyone, one that I hope that all parents discuss with their children, particularly if they are involved in sports.

+1

Other than the stories about Joyce's family getting verbally abused, the outcome of what could have been a sad story is about as superb as it could have been.

Hats off to Selig for not giving into emotion.

I think that this is pretty much right.

+1

I can't say it better than that.

earn a ton of good PR for baseball. Screaming about opening a can of worms will never help the sport move forwards.

I completely disagree.

The wonderful PR generated from watching the sportsmanship of Gallaraga, the emotion of Joyce meeting him at home plate, the sportsmanship of the Detroit fans in giving Joyce an ovation, and watching Leyland get choked up at the press conference afterwards...those are all images that will do wonders for the game, not to mentionthe lessons it teaches our youth, for whom the game should mean the most.

all in all it has turned into a pretty cool story. Joyce is a stand up guy and is obviously crushed by missing the call and Galarraga had been pure class about it as well.

Most of the fans in Detroit were damn cool about it too - inspiring to see. Good on ya Detroit :wacko:

I completely disagree.

The wonderful PR generated from watching the sportsmanship of Gallaraga, the emotion of Joyce meeting him at home plate, the sportsmanship of the Detroit fans in giving Joyce an ovation, and watching Leyland get choked up at the press conference afterwards...those are all images that will do wonders for the game, not to mentionthe lessons it teaches our youth, for whom the game should mean the most.

I agree. It was weird in today's sports environment not to see everyone involved acting like a victim and being totally classless.

I completely disagree.

This. ^

:wacko: The KC guys are going to bbq me over this, but I found KC bbq to be pretty nasty, actually. :tup:

Come on, Darin...you take away the one thing Kansas City has going for it and you end up with Detroit.

So my neighbor and fellow Huddler who doesn't post much is in law enforcement. He was at the game Wednesday night and was pretty pissed about the call at the time (I had the game DVR'd and he came over and watched the end with me). I was equally as pissed initially.

He had his wife put their ticket stubs in her purse in the 7th inning to make sure he didn't lose them in case a perfect game took place. Yesterday he calls me and said..."guess whose security detail I have tomorrow morning...Jim Joyce (and Darryl Cousins)". He asked me if he should ask Joyce to sign the tickets when he picked him up today. Seemed like an iffy thing to do since it was the worst call of his life and he was so torn up about it. He called me a few hours ago and said Joyce was the nicest guy ever. He got so comfortable with him that he asked him to sign and he signed both of them without pause. Sounds like a pretty cool guy.

He's now going to have Galarraga sign them when he gets a chance.

Oh and I see merit to both sides of the argument.

What shall we do about the clearly wrong call on the last play of last night's Mariners - Twins game that cost the Twins the game then?

Nope, it's still a slippery slope.

clearly different in that it actually DOES affect the outcome of the game. the galarraga thing doesn't affect anything except changing the scoring on a wrongly awarded hit. it's only a slippery slope if you really try hard to make it one. it certainly doesn't have to be.

now THAT is true. joyce and gallaraga have handled this whole thing with enormous grace and humility, it's been great to watch. hugh props to both of them.

but it should go in the books as a perfect game :wacko:

now THAT is true. joyce and gallaraga have handled this whole thing with enormous grace and humility, it's been great to watch. hugh props to both of them.

I saw that Civil War/Baseball documentary filmmaker (I'm too lazy to google his name right now) on TV last night and he thinks that eventually it will go into the record books as a perfect game. I just hope they don't wait till Gallaraga is like 75 yrs old to do it.

I umpire high school baseball and have a few observations on the subject. First off, Jim Joyce actually improved the impression of MLB umpires with this event IMO. He proved that they do care about the players, their performance, and can admit when they're wrong.

He was in perfect position to make that call. He was about 8-10 feet back and 90 degrees from the play. If I had to guess, I'd say the snow cone maybe threw him off. When you make that call you're looking @ the bag and listening for the ball to hit the glove. The ball makes a different sound in the glove when it hits the pocket vs. the web, but he definately secured that ball for the out.

The most telling thing to me is something nobody has publicly said yet. When you make an out call, you do so with your right hand. A safe call is made from the set position ( feet shoulder width apart or wider ). When you watch the replay, Joyce initially steps a foot forward with his left and draws back his right hand like he's making a fist. Then he straightens up and throws both arms out safe. It looked to me like his first reaction was to punch the guy out, but called him safe @ the last second.

The snow cone thing could have threw him off or he could have just gagged on it. He's got a split second to determine catch / no catch, defender's foot on the bag, and runner's foot on the bag. Poor guy just kicked it, but what a class act.

I saw that Civil War/Baseball documentary filmmaker (I'm too lazy to google his name right now) on TV last night and he thinks that eventually it will go into the record books as a perfect game. I just hope they don't wait till Gallaraga is like 75 yrs old to do it.

Ken Burns?

clearly different in that it actually DOES affect the outcome of the game. the galarraga thing doesn't affect anything except changing the scoring on a wrongly awarded hit. it's only a slippery slope if you really try hard to make it one. it certainly doesn't have to be.

So are you saying the Twins incident should be reversed too? Or not? I take you to mean that a play that doesn't affect the outcome of the game should be changed and one that does, shouldn't. That can't make sense.

And Ireland should be going to South Africa but they aren't. And Pearson pushed off. And. And. It's sport and without human error.....it isn't.