[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Homemade Xanex

SheikYerbuti

So a few weeks ago I asked y'all for driving songs for the road trip from here to Vegas. Well, scrap it. We're flying. Here's the thing: I HATE flying. In the past I've taken Xanex to mellow me out on the flight, but don't have any this trip. So I'm trying to mimic the effects of xanex with a homemade substitute. So far I've tried 2 Tylenol PM and a beer on an empty stomach. Did the trick for about an hour, but wore off. I'm thinking of trying Doans pills and a beer chaser next.

Any ideas?

So far I've tried 2 Tylenol PM and a beer on an empty stomach. Did the trick for about an hour, but wore off.

Any ideas?

This isn't a bad idea in principle. How about just adding a couple more beers?

Forget the self-medication. Just use logic to fight your fears.

For example, it is most likely (though not certain) that the pilot doesn't want to die any more than you do.

It's also probably the case that the people running the airline have taken a long-term view of share-holder value and decided that the potential short-term gains of cutting corners on airplane maintenence are likely not worth the long-term problems associated with having a crash or two on the airline's record.

Finally, the financial sector and oil-drilling industries notwithstanding, government regulators are doing their best to make sure that your flight is as safe as possible.

See, you are probably feeling better already.

:wacko:

Edited by wiegie

Forget the self-medication. Just use logic to fight your fears.

For example, it is most likely (though not certain) that the pilot doesn't want to die any more than you do.

It's also probably the case that the people running the airline have taken a long-term view of share-holder value and decided that the potential short-term gains of cutting corners on airplane maintenence are likely not worth the long-term problems associated with having a crash or two on the airline's record.

Finally, the financial sector and oil-drilling industries notwithstanding, government regulators are doing their best to make sure that your flight is as safe as possible.

See, you are probably feeling better already.

In other words...man up and rub some dirt on your mangina.

Sit back, relax and trust government regulators? Thanks for making me more nervous about it than ever.

Now anyone have any other ideas?

you robotrip?

try this... valerian. It's a homeopathic plant. I think it's related to valium. If it works for you, then it'll work really well. It's less about sleep and more about anti-anxiety. Try it in advance to see how much you'll need.

If that doesn't work, try a double dose of dramamine.

I second the valerian root suggestion. You can get it at any place that has a homeopathic selection. IIRC valium was first processed from this root but I'm pretty sure that it is all chemically manufactured now. You may also consider a blend of valerian and chamomile. Both can have a very calming effect.

i need something that acts instantly. my problem is a take 1 or 2. have a beer or 2. then we get to boarding time and im not feeling anything. so i pop some more. than poof. they all hit me and im useless for 6hrs.

As opposed to being useless for the entire day like you normally are?

Sit back, relax and trust government regulators? Thanks for making me more nervous about it than ever.

Now anyone have any other ideas?

Just keep in mind that flying is the safest mode of transportation and that planes WANT to stay in the air.

Just go see the flippin' doctor

Some of you guys are so un-MacGyver.

Just keep in mind that flying is the safest mode of transportation

When I'm zooming down the highway on my motorcycle, I sometimes wonder how exponentially more dangerous it is than getting in an airplane. Oh well, they ain't called "irrational fears" for nothing.

When I'm zooming down the highway on my motorcycle, I sometimes wonder how exponentially more dangerous it is than getting in an airplane. Oh well, they ain't called "irrational fears" for nothing.

From wikipedia:

Deaths per billion passenger-kilometres

Air 0.05

Bus 0.4

Rail 0.6

Van 1.2

Water 2.6

Car 3.1

Bicycle 44.6

Foot 54.2

Motorcycle 108.9

So, for equivalent distances traveled, you are 2,178 times more likely to die on your motorcycle.

(Even for just hours of traveling, you are still more than 150 times more likely to die on your motorcycle.)

Edited by wiegie

For the record, all three of my examples were designed to make you more nervous about flying. :oldjohnelwaygrin:

From wikipedia:

So, for equivalent distances traveled, you are 2,178 times more likely to die on your motorcycle.

(Even for just hours of traveling, you are still more than 150 times more likely to die on your motorcycle.)

I assume water is for boat transportation? I can't believe you are almost as likely to die in a boating accident as a car accident.