[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bang, Locked Down

SEC=UGA

Man, I was right in the middle of a pot and kettle conversation in the small business thread.... Hit "add reply" and BANG, the mfer was shut down....

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here it is

BTW, is posting leftist propeganda on a message board board part of your job description? I'd hate to see your boss cheated -much like you would hate to see our government cheated. :wacko:

Pot meet Kettle.

Pot - Hi Kettle, you spend too much time on the boards posting, does your boss know this

Kettle - Hi Pot, you spend too much time on the boards posting, does your boss know this

Pot - Commies are running our country and NASA and the NAACP are gearing up to ship all white people to mars.

Kettle - Evil companies have no socially redeeming value and are poisoning their workers with fluoride too keep them lethargic and on task.

You know why the thread was only locked instead of deleted? Because WW didn't let DMD take his bullet out of his pocket.

lol

since the small business thread was locked...

Small Businesses Grow More Pessimistic: Survey

"Seventy percent of the decline this month resulted from a deterioration in the outlook for business conditions and real sales gains," the NFIB survey concluded. The report is based on 805 responses to a random survey of NFIB members.

"The performance of the economy is mediocre at best, given the extent of the decline over the past two years," the NFIB survey concluded. "Pent-up demand should be immense, but it is not triggering a rapid pickup in economic activity."

Very few small businesses plan to create new jobs, according to respondents. The survey showed that only 10 percent of firms plan new hiring, that is down 4 points from May, the NFIB said. About 8 percent of firms plan to reduce their workforce, up one point from the previous month, the group said.

recovery summer?

Pent-up demand should be immense

I'm not sure why they think that should be the case. It's sure as hell not as though people's wealth and incomes have sky-rocketed back to where they were three years ago.

As I have said repeatedly in the last 21 or so months: this economic downturn is significantly different from the downturns we have experienced since WWII.

Businesses have learned from recent times to lower the amount of employees, but have Mr. Joe do the work of 3 employees for minimum wage. It's no wonder jobs aren't being created.

Edited by WaterMan

I'm not sure why they think that should be the case.

I would think they are referring to the fact that growth after the bottom of a recession is usually pretty robust.

and that is exactly my point--there is really no reason to think that what usually happens in a recession is going to happen in this recession

and that is exactly my point--there is really no reason to think that what usually happens in a recession is going to happen in this recession

kind of a bizarre statement. I mean, wouldn't the fact that it almost always happens be a reason to think it will happen again?

Edited by Azazello1313

Businesses have learned from recent times to lower the amount of employees, but have Mr. Joe do the work of 3 employees for minimum wage. It's no wonder jobs aren't being created.

I'm dealing with three vendors right now that are in grave danger of having their asses kicked to the curb due to their inability to cope with the amount of work they have plus the sheer incompetence level they are displaying. The work is there for companies, they just won't hire to meet it so their existing employees are being flogged to death and are screwing up left, right and center.

kind of a bizarre statement. I mean, wouldn't the fact that it almost always happens be a reason to think it will happen again?
If all recessions were basically similar, then yes, we could expect that it would happen again.

But this recession is not similar to others in the post-war period. It was caused by problems in the financial sector (problems that are arguably actually worse than the problems that led to the Great Depression). The financial sector has not yet recovered. The losses in employment are still massive and there is no reason to think that these jobs are going to come back anytime soon. And household wealth has dramatically declined -- and much of this decline is due to decreases in equity in real-estate... and this equity is not coming back anytime soon.

As I'm sure club and smarmi will tell you, these businesses are just whining about a little extra paperwork and paying their "fair share"... :wacko:

The sentiment in the links Az provided, and the concept of the 1099 discussion, are two completely different topics. But you already knew that.

The point Club and I were making is that documenting expenditures over $600 isn't really that big a deal. It will likely require nothing more than a software program ...something very similar in concept to Quickbooks (and it wouldn't surprise me if they came out with a supplement to their existing software to handle this). Most businesses can easily track their purchases....to filter out the ones that exceed $600 is a very minor issue.

Perch stated he'd have to send out between 1500 and 2000 1099s under the plan....that somewhere between 6-9 per business day. How long does that really take someone to do that task? 10-15 minutes? If its automated, then even less than that. Point is, its not the labor-intesive process many are making it out to be.

The sentiment in the links Az provided, and the concept of the 1099 discussion, are two completely different topics. But you already knew that.

The point Club and I were making is that documenting expenditures over $600 isn't really that big a deal. It will likely require nothing more than a software program ...something very similar in concept to Quickbooks (and it wouldn't surprise me if they came out with a supplement to their existing software to handle this). Most businesses can easily track their purchases....to filter out the ones that exceed $600 is a very minor issue.

Perch stated he'd have to send out between 1500 and 2000 1099s under the plan....that somewhere between 6-9 per business day. How long does that really take someone to do that task? 10-15 minutes? If its automated, then even less than that. Point is, its not the labor-intesive process many are making it out to be.

You make it sound so simple for EVERYONE. In Wisconsin we have tons of farmers and people that run small companies like concrete businesses - these people spend time working (not shuffling paperwork) and a lot of times are not computer savvy - how do you expect these people to this extra work - yea it might not be a lot of work but it is extra and for some not so easy - but hey what's a couple of these small business owners? Now we can hire more govt workers - perfect tradeoff.

Take Perch's example - 200 extra 1099's what is the cost in postage alone? 10-15 minutes for 1,000 to 2,000 - now be honest and don't go to the other extreme - it would take more than 15 minutes just stuffing the envelopes - this is not a whole week job but it will take extra effort and money for EVERY business that exists.

Again - EVERY business is going to have to do this task to make sure that the other business that they are buying from is doing the right thing? Does not sound right to me.

Sure, sure. Some extra paperwork here, a couple extra dollars for taxes there, EPA, OSHA, immigration, state & local bureaucrats, taxes, codes and rules. What's one more? :wacko:

I'm dealing with three vendors right now that are in grave danger of having their asses kicked to the curb due to their inability to cope with the amount of work they have plus the sheer incompetence level they are displaying. The work is there for companies, they just won't hire to meet it so their existing employees are being flogged to death and are screwing up left, right and center.

The heck of it is, these businesses might not have even sniffed your patronage if they had those other people because they might have priced themselves out of it. I'm not saying either way, or trying to argue with you, as I too believe you get what you pay for. I'm just saying that right now, there's not enough business to go around.

Case in point: there's a guy here at work who's having trouble getting his air fixed. All of these companies that used to make most of their scratch doing installs now have to subsist on repair work. They've had to cut staff to the point that if it's a really busy week they lose business because they can't talk people down here into waiting 5 days to get their A/C fixed. :wacko:

Pot meet Kettle.

Pot - Hi Kettle, you spend too much time on the boards posting, does your boss know this

Kettle - Hi Pot, you spend too much time on the boards posting, does your boss know this

Pot - Commies are running our country and NASA and the NAACP are gearing up to ship all white people to mars.

Kettle - Evil companies have no socially redeeming value and are poisoning their workers with fluoride too keep them lethargic and on task.

If only every post could be this good.