[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

James Jones or Jordy Nelson

Capt. Stanky

No doubt, pirates. Jones and Nelson are no more than a possible #3 FF WR, if Driver either loses his job or gets reinjured. Driver is also a FA after this year, so this topic probably means more to us Dynasty league owners anyway.

as I have both in a dynasty, I am covered eiher way.

No doubt, pirates. Jones and Nelson are no more than a possible #3 FF WR, if Driver either loses his job or gets reinjured. Driver is also a FA after this year, so this topic probably means more to us Dynasty league owners anyway.

:wacko: Uh, maybe in like a 24-team league.

:wacko: Uh, maybe in like a 24-team league.

You don't think Donald Driver is a decent #3 in a 10 or 12 teamer? Maybe not this year, due to some question marks, but in years past he has been. I'm talking about taking Jones or Nelson real late in deeper drafts/leagues. I think you focused on what you have bolded in my post and nothing else.

Just remember that the no.2 WR in Green Bay is the no.3 guy receptions wise. Finley and Jennings are 1a and 1b

Much like the Colts(Wayne & Clark) but Garcon did well late in the year there. Jones or Nelson could do as well. Jennings and Finley both get dinged up too.

Looks like the team thinks his knees are OK

Packers signed WR Donald Driver to a two-year extension through 2012.

We don't have financial terms, but this confirms that the Packers are confident in Driver's surgically repaired knees. He was previously set to make $7.206 million in the final year of his contract. We can't imagine the team guaranteed Driver serious coin at his age -- Driver will be 38 when the deal is up -- but his presence in Green Bay will continue to block James Jones and Jordy Nelson. Driver remains on our "avoid" list in fantasy drafts at his early sixth-round ADP.

You don't think Donald Driver is a decent #3 in a 10 or 12 teamer? Maybe not this year, due to some question marks, but in years past he has been. I'm talking about taking Jones or Nelson real late in deeper drafts/leagues. I think you focused on what you have bolded in my post and nothing else.

I didn't say that. You said Jones or Nelson would be a potential WR3 in fantasy leagues. If Driver were 100% healthy, of COURSE he'd be a solid WR3. But he's not. And it's still completely unclear as to who the next in line is, and neither Jones nor Nelson have done anything to indicate they're worth the risk.

Yeah, I was talking no.3 in real football, not fantasy.

I wasn't referring to your post.

why do you say that? it appears from reports that he's a healthy as a 35 yo WR could be, so for him, he's 100%.

He got his knees scoped, not out of need for this year, but to extend his career.

Someone reported that he played in his charity softball game two months ago and he looked fine. Granted, "someone" doesn't work for an NFL team and it was only softball, but if he was running around playing softball two months ago, shouldn't he be ready for the NFL season three months later since he clearly knows what it takes to get ready?

It seems like everyone is being carted off these days, so if DD had any issues at all, I would think they'd have been reported at some point in the past week, yeah?

He said he was in pain so getting both cleaned out helped.

The team extended him 2 years but without seeing the contract it's hard to know how healthy they think he is. They haven't said how they even plan on using him.

The guy is a workout freak, he has about 3% body fat and says he takes great care of his body, but they could throw to him less while phasing in Jones or Nelson.

Last year his numbers declined but it was because they used Finley more for big plays.

It's hard to know how he will be used and for how long.

The Packers could use the TE as the #1 or #2 receiver this year and all the lesser receivers could have fewer targets. I would say Jennings/Finey #1 and 1A, Grant #3, DRiver/Jones/Nelson 4-6.

I like DD held onto to him in one dynasty but didn't draft him in either MSHB league because I though he was going too high.

Edited by Randall

why do you say that? it appears from reports that he's a healthy as a 35 yo WR could be, so for him, he's 100%.

He got his knees scoped, not out of need for this year, but to extend his career.

Someone reported that he played in his charity softball game two months ago and he looked fine. Granted, "someone" doesn't work for an NFL team and it was only softball, but if he was running around playing softball two months ago, shouldn't he be ready for the NFL season three months later since he clearly knows what it takes to get ready?

It seems like everyone is being carted off these days, so if DD had any issues at all, I would think they'd have been reported at some point in the past week, yeah?

The last I heard the coaching staff was really concerned. Appears the status of his knees took a turn for the better since that time, but the news is still not on the favorable side:

From: http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...nfl&id=1748

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel believes Donald Driver's role on offense may decrease this season despite his contract extension.

The Journal-Sentinel has hinted at this on numerous occasions over the last few months. If the Packers want their 35-year-old receiver to last through the end of the extension (2012), they'll have to scale back Driver's snaps. Jordy Nelson and James Jones remain deserving of more playing time.

I've always been a Driver backer, but after getting both knees scoped, hearing from the coaching staff that they were incredibly concerned about said knees and this report from a reputable source, I'd be tempering any expectations.

Edited by darin3

I didn't say that. You said Jones or Nelson would be a potential WR3 in fantasy leagues. If Driver were 100% healthy, of COURSE he'd be a solid WR3. But he's not. And it's still completely unclear as to who the next in line is, and neither Jones nor Nelson have done anything to indicate they're worth the risk.

I wasn't referring to your post.

You either aren't understanding me, or are just arguing just to argue.

First, what risk is their in taking Jordy Nelson in the last round of a draft right now? None. If he's not the #3 in GB going into the season then he's an easy dropable player for the hot FA of the week. If he is named the #3, then you just hang onto him for a few weeks to see how things play out. Maybe drive hurts his knee. Maybe Driver has lost his burst and can't seperate from coverage. Maybe they promote Nelson to the #2. This post was made before GB extended Driver for 2 more years, so obviously they feel he can still play at 35, but when I posted this I thought it was a valid question for a late round flyer in deep drafts.

Second, The reason I asked if a healthy Driver was a decent #3 was to validate my point. If Driver wasn't the same player, or just lost a step at his age, Then one of either Jones or Nelson had a chance to emerge as the #2 WR in GB, making them a viable option as your #3 WR.

That is all.

This is Rotoworlds story

Coach Mike McCarthy indicated that a calf injury recently suffered by Donald Driver may be related to Driver's surgically repaired knees.

"I don't know what it is," said McCarthy. "It's just tight." Driver had to sit out Green Bay's Saturday scrimmage, and wasn't healthy enough to practice on Monday. It'll be a concern if the injury lingers deep into preseason.

This is what the story says

A leg up: Wide receiver Donald Driver woke up with a sore calf Friday morning and after seeing the medical staff was told not to play in the intrasquad scrimmage.

On Monday, Driver was still out. McCarthy said the injury may be tied to the surgeries Driver had on both of his knees during the off-season.

"I don't know what it is," Driver said. "It's just tight."

I don't know how Driver does it but I just don't know if he can keep it up. In my opinion I like Jones but like 13ers said I think the ball is going to be spread around a lot.

Edited by st0650

I didn't see anything at that link that said the coaches were concerned.

What I did see is mild speculation by the newspaper which was then escalated by those hacks at rotoworld -- some of those guys do this consistently. Now, if I'm wrong, please correct me, but it appears that you're quoting baseless speculation supported by no one in the organization?

You're wrong. Click "previous news".

Edit: Since you appear to have issues finding what I'm talking about:

Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin acknowledged that the status of Donald Driver's surgically repaired knees is a concern.

"Obviously, we have to see what happens with Driver's knee when he comes back," said Philbin. "...I haven't seen him do anything since January 10." Philbin also confirmed that he expects more playing time for James Jones and Jordy Nelson. Last season, Driver wound up averaging nearly 60 snaps per game. In order to keep him healthy at age 35, the Packers could cut that number down to around 45-50. We're avoiding Driver in fantasy drafts.

And this isn't something from the "hacks at Rotoworld". It's from the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, quoting the frickin' OC. Sorry, I don't see baseless speculation here. Time to turn off the smarmy-ness, there, Opie.

You either aren't understanding me, or are just arguing just to argue.

First, what risk is their in taking Jordy Nelson in the last round of a draft right now? None. If he's not the #3 in GB going into the season then he's an easy dropable player for the hot FA of the week. If he is named the #3, then you just hang onto him for a few weeks to see how things play out. Maybe drive hurts his knee. Maybe Driver has lost his burst and can't seperate from coverage. Maybe they promote Nelson to the #2. This post was made before GB extended Driver for 2 more years, so obviously they feel he can still play at 35, but when I posted this I thought it was a valid question for a late round flyer in deep drafts.

Second, The reason I asked if a healthy Driver was a decent #3 was to validate my point. If Driver wasn't the same player, or just lost a step at his age, Then one of either Jones or Nelson had a chance to emerge as the #2 WR in GB, making them a viable option as your #3 WR.

That is all.

I think you're the one having difficulty understanding. You said Jordy Nelson is worthy of starting as a third fantasy WR. I simply said that was crazy. Not sure why this is so difficult to grasp. It's called a "difference of opinion".

Edited by darin3

WR2 on GB has averaged 63 catches for 998 yards and 8 TDs in the past three seasons. I'm not sure what kind of leagues you play in, but those are top 20 WR numbers in the leagues I play in.

A relatively healthy Driver, who's done it time and time again, is most certainly worthy of drafting and starting regularly. A combo of Nelson/Jones as the Packers 2nd WR (should Driver miss any time) would be a situation I'd personally avoid.... edit... unless one of them was the clear cut #2 should Driver miss any time. And, IMO, it'd probably be Jones.

Edited by darin3

It appears that Jordy has taken the lead for the 3rd WR spot in GB.

Rotoworld

Jordy Nelson looks like he "will claim the No. 3 job outright," according to the Green Bay Post-Gazette.

Nelson is picking up more and more steam as camp goes on and most reports now have him ahead of James Jones. Although we still think Jones is the superior talent and Donald Driver's direct backup, there's no doubt that expectations need to tempered.

I think this is important news for any drafts coming up. You should be able to get Jordy late, and with Driver having issues related to his knee surgeries, Nelson could surprise.

Edited by Capt. Stanky

It appears that Jordy has taken the lead for the 3rd WR spot in GB.

Rotoworld

Jordy Nelson looks like he "will claim the No. 3 job outright," according to the Green Bay Post-Gazette.

Nelson is picking up more and more steam as camp goes on and most reports now have him ahead of James Jones. Although we still think Jones is the superior talent and Donald Driver's direct backup, there's no doubt that expectations need to tempered.

I think this is important news for any drafts coming up. You should be able to get Jordy late, and with Driver having issues related to his knee surgeries, Nelson could surprise.

Post-Gazette is in Pittsburgh. Press-Gazette is in Green Bay.