[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

James Jones or Jordy Nelson

Capt. Stanky

I'm of the opinion that Donald Driver can't keep going forever. He had offseason knee surger on both knees. He's 35 years old and I'm guessing that coupled with the surgeries spells the end of the line. Obviously, the #2 WR in the GB offense can put up pretty good numbers. I think one of either James Jones or Jordy Nelson will prove to be of great value this year. Who do you think will end up emerging?

Edited by Capt. Stanky

Jones has more talent, but I think Nelson will end up with it. Seems like Jones is an ouchy every year. Nelson was getting a lot of looks and touches towards the end of last season.

Don't count Driver out just yet. He amazes every year.

Jennings probably won't approach 2008 numbers because there are too many options for Rodgers. Grant, Finley, Jennings, Driver, Nelson, on and on. Packers also like to use their fullback towards the stripe...

Should be a good year for GB if they can score more than 28 points/game, with their defensive secondary being less than average.

James Jones. He's more dynamic and is better after the catch. I've never been impressed with Nelson's routes or what he does after the catch. I think he can be a good third receiver on the offense, but not a starter.

Jones on the other hand, has all the tools needed. He also compliments Jennings/Finley better than Nelson.

I catch unmitigated hell from a guy that I split a team with for referring to Jones as "the steal of the draft" last year when we got him in the 14th round. I love the guy, mainly b/c it seems like every ball he catches is 30+ yarder or a long td bomb. So my vote is for Jones, although I'd have said the same thing last year, and all it got me was an unfun inside joke.

This is all based on Driver's wheels falling off, which I don't see happening.

Jones and Nelson are six of one, a half-dozen of the other. Even the coaching staff doesn't have a preference. Jones might be more athletic, but Nelson is more dependable; if something happens to Driver, I think the staff would go with "dependable" at the starting position.

Jones and Nelson are six of one, a half-dozen of the other. Even the coaching staff doesn't have a preference. Jones might be more athletic, but Nelson is more dependable; if something happens to Driver, I think the staff would go with "dependable" at the starting position.

He's Donald Driver, not Brett Favre. It has to end sometime, and why not take a flyer on one of these guys later in the draft. Low risk, with a possible big return.

I personally like Nelson better. You can draft him later, and I agree that when it comes down to it they will go with someone who is more reliable, ie, run the right routes, than the more explosive Jones. Don't they have enough explosion on that team with Finley and Jennings?

Edited by Capt. Stanky

I'd agree with Chavez...

It's Jones for sure. He's going to be the guy to have and when DD goes, Jones will step into his spot and Nelson into the slot.

Jones has more talent, but I think Nelson will end up with it. Seems like Jones is an ouchy every year. Nelson was getting a lot of looks and touches towards the end of last season.

Don't count Driver out just yet. He amazes every year.

Jennings probably won't approach 2008 numbers because there are too many options for Rodgers. Grant, Finley, Jennings, Driver, Nelson, on and on. Packers also like to use their fullback towards the stripe...

Should be a good year for GB if they can score more than 28 points/game, with their defensive secondary being less than average.

:wacko:

Sorry but there are so many inaccuracies with this post I'm not sure where to begin.

First off, I assume you mean that Jones is injury-prone by saying he is an "ouchy". Jones was hurt in his 2nd season (2008; 6 games missed), but hasn't missed any games in his other two seasons (2007 and 2009).

Next, Jordy Nelson had a total of NINE targets in Weeks 13-17, and FIVE of those targets came in one game (Week 15 against the Steelers). Of those nine targets, he gained 7 catches. I'm not sure how that equates to "a lot of looks and touches".

I don't think anyone would be counting out Driver if he were 100% healthy and if the team's OC wasn't publicly concerned about it. From Rotoworld:

Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin acknowledged that the status of Donald Driver's surgically repaired knees is a concern.

"Obviously, we have to see what happens with Driver's knee when he comes back," said Philbin. "...I haven't seen him do anything since January 10." Philbin also confirmed that he expects more playing time for James Jones and Jordy Nelson. Last season, Driver wound up averaging nearly 60 snaps per game. In order to keep him healthy at age 35, the Packers could cut that number down to around 45-50. We're avoiding Driver in fantasy drafts.

And uh, the Packer secondary only allowed 201.1 passing ypg, 5th best in the NFL. Allowed for a 68.8 passer rating (4th best). Sure, they gave up a bunch of passing TDs, but saying their secondary is "less than average" is incredibly inaccurate.

The Packer offense is going to be real good once again. I would be wary of Driver even if he wasn't coming off major knee surgery. I would be wary of both Jones and Nelson, but wouldn't be surprised if one of the two put up decent, WR4/5 type numbers. Their eventual worth, though, will probably be affected more by the emergence of Jermichael Finley. On top of their FB looks at the goal line, let's not forget that Rodgers is one of the best running QBs in the game right now (if not THE best).

I would be wary of Driver even if he wasn't coming off major knee surgery. I would be wary of both Jones and Nelson, but wouldn't be surprised if one of the two put up decent, WR4/5 type numbers. Their eventual worth, though, will probably be affected more by the emergence of Jermichael Finley.

Last year Driver/Jones/Nelson had 124 catches for 1821 yds and 13 tds.

In '08 they had 127-1652-8.

I think it's pretty apparent what range their combined #s will end up in; it's just a matter of who gets what. A less than 100% Driver just muddies the picture.

I agree with Darin that I'd avoid the 2-4 WRs in GB because it will probably drive you nuts on a weekly basis. If you don't get Jennings or Finley, forget it.

Last year Driver/Jones/Nelson had 124 catches for 1821 yds and 13 tds.

In '08 they had 127-1652-8.

I think it's pretty apparent what range their combined #s will end up in; it's just a matter of who gets what. A less than 100% Driver just muddies the picture.

I agree with Darin that I'd avoid the 2-4 WRs in GB because it will probably drive you nuts on a weekly basis. If you don't get Jennings or Finley, forget it.

I'm in line with this thinking as well. Jennings and Finley are likely the bread and butter. Crumbs for the rest. I was faced with this exact choice in the last week of waivers in my dynasty league last year, as both had been dropped by then. I took Jones for what it's worth.

Disagree with the first part. While I love Driver, he is getting older. Surgery on both knee's isn't an easy thing to come back 100% from. I hope I'm wrong, but the decline will have to start eventually.

I also don't kow how Nelson is more dependable than Jones. I recall Nelson making mental errors and coughing the ball up on returns.

I agree that if you don't have Finley or Jennings forget about it, but I do think Jones has a higher ceiling than Jordy.

Disagree with the first part. While I love Driver, he is getting older. Surgery on both knee's isn't an easy thing to come back 100% from. I hope I'm wrong, but the decline will have to start eventually.

I also don't kow how Nelson is more dependable than Jones. I recall Nelson making mental errors and coughing the ball up on returns.

I agree that if you don't have Finley or Jennings forget about it, but I do think Jones has a higher ceiling than Jordy.

This info has come straight from the GB coaching staff. It could always be a ploy to motivate Jones to take that next step, who knows, but the Packers staff has been quoted that Jones makes to many mental mistakes. I will see if I can find the quote.

From Rotoworld

"Asked to anoint a third receiver heading into camp, Packers WRs coach Jimmy Robinson replied "Jones-Jordy."

The Packers seem to be talking up Jordy Nelson almost in an effort to motivate James Jones, who is the more talented of the two. Jones, though, "tends to drift mentally," which has affected his drop totals and route running. "He has to avoid the fluctuations," said OC Joe Philbin. "Some of it just came maybe from lack of concentration, sometimes the injury bug."

Also, I hope everyone else takes the approach of "If you can't get Jennings of Finley just don't bother". Like I stated earlier, there's virtually no risk at taking Jones or Nelson in the latter portion of the draft. They will more than likely be your 5th or 6th WR, so it's not like you are depending on them to perform, but if they do it's all bonus.

Edited by Capt. Stanky

I think when people say "don't bother", they mean don't bother relying on Jones or Nelson as a starting WR in your standard 12-team league... In other words, as a 2nd (or even 3rd) WR on your FF team, you will most likely be very disappointed with either one, as they most likely won't put up the consistent numbers you're counting on. On the other hand, if you're looking at the bottom of your WR cheatsheet, and Jones is still available in the later rounds, I think he's great value. If I have to choose between Jones (or even Nelson) and the 3rd or 4th WR on a lot of other teams, I'm going with the GB wideout almost every time, simply because of the high-powered passing offense they will be playing in. Just be prepared for disappointment if you look at them as anything more than a flier pick with decent upside... Like I said, if you're COUNTING on them to produce, you might regret it. If you're drafting them as your 5th or 6th wideout (or even your 4th in deeper leagues), I think they're clearly worth taking a chance on.

This info has come straight from the GB coaching staff. It could always be a ploy to motivate Jones to take that next step, who knows, but the Packers staff has been quoted that Jones makes to many mental mistakes. I will see if I can find the quote.

From Rotoworld

"Asked to anoint a third receiver heading into camp, Packers WRs coach Jimmy Robinson replied "Jones-Jordy."

The Packers seem to be talking up Jordy Nelson almost in an effort to motivate James Jones, who is the more talented of the two. Jones, though, "tends to drift mentally," which has affected his drop totals and route running. "He has to avoid the fluctuations," said OC Joe Philbin. "Some of it just came maybe from lack of concentration, sometimes the injury bug."

Also, I hope everyone else takes the approach of "If you can't get Jennings of Finley just don't bother". Like I stated earlier, there's virtually no risk at taking Jones or Nelson in the latter portion of the draft. They will more than likely be your 5th or 6th WR, so it's not like you are depending on them to perform, but if they do it's all bonus.

Nowhere in there does it say that Nelson is more dependable or makes less mistakes or mental errors. Jones may lack focus, but I can count off the top of my head the times that Nelson had mental errors or lack of focus that caused fumbles/drops.

Nowhere in there does it say that Nelson is more dependable or makes less mistakes or mental errors. Jones may lack focus, but I can count off the top of my head the times that Nelson had mental errors or lack of focus that caused fumbles/drops.

Nelson is also a year behind Jones development-wise. This will be Nelson's third year, big for WR's.

Just based on my watch-every-game-Packer eyeball test, I see more upside to Nelson than Jones. He's bigger and seems more graceful to me. Inexperienced though, and seems to fight jitters, thus the dropsies. Roddy White had a lot of dropsies early on too.

Jones feels more like a slot receiver to me, while Nelson seems like a fit on the outside. Jones in the slot could ultimately be more productive FF-wise. Jennings is the deep route burner of the group.

They're a bit of a wash in FF right now. Seems like this year, being Nelson's third and possibly Driver's last(?), should be telling for who matters more down the road.

Nelson is also a year behind Jones development-wise. This will be Nelson's third year, big for WR's.

Just based on my watch-every-game-Packer eyeball test, I see more upside to Nelson than Jones. He's bigger and seems more graceful to me. Inexperienced though, and seems to fight jitters, thus the dropsies. Roddy White had a lot of dropsies early on too.

Jones feels more like a slot receiver to me, while Nelson seems like a fit on the outside. Jones in the slot could ultimately be more productive FF-wise. Jennings is the deep route burner of the group.

They're a bit of a wash in FF right now. Seems like this year, being Nelson's third and possibly Driver's last(?), should be telling for who matters more down the road.

I think that's a myth.

Driver Still Wants To Play Until Age 40 :tup:

Posted by Mike Vandermause July 31st, 2010, 10:37 pm

Seen and heard around the Packers locker room following the first training camp practice today:

Donald Driver, who turned 35 in February, continues to say he wants to play until he’s 40. He’s dead serious.

“My goal hasn’t changed,” said Driver, a seventh-round draft choice of the Packers in 1999. “If I had a crystal ball, I could say I would play till I’m 50. But I don’t. Right now I know I’m still healthy. I feel like I can still play, and it’s just going out there and continuing to play at a high level. If you continue to play at a high level…(they) don’t care what age you are.”

Driver said he feels great after offseason knee surgery.

“I didn’t have to have the surgery,” he said. “My thing was I wanted to play longer. If I wanted to play longer, (the doctor) told me that it would be best to go ahead and get it done. It would be better than playing with pain.

“I feel like a rookie all over again.”

Driver credits coach Mike McCarthy’s training camp schedule, which allows for ample rest and off-days, as a big help in extending his career.

“Mike takes care of us,” he said. “That is a great thing.”

Edited by Randall

I guess we'll have to disagree. I also watch every packers game and I don't see Nelson as a true starting receiver. I don't see that upside that I see in Jones.

And if old man Driver can play until 40, I'm all for it. I love me some Donald Driver. Easily the nicest professional athlete I've ever met.

Check the new blurb per Rotoworld

The Green Bay Press-Gazette speculates that Jordy Nelson "might have taken a step ahead" of James Jones after an outstanding performance Tuesday night.

With Greg Jennings (personal reasons) out, Nelson took advantage of extra reps with the starters. The coaches have been talking up Nelson for awhile now and it appears he's in a real battle with James Jones for the No. 3 receiver job. Still, we believe Jones holds more value as the more talented player and Donald Driver's direct backup. Nelson is behind Jennings.

The plot thickens. Driver might very well be superman, but I will be taking one of these two WR's later in the draft.

Just remember that the no.2 WR in Green Bay is the no.3 guy receptions wise. Finley and Jennings are 1a and 1b

No doubt, pirates. Jones and Nelson are no more than a possible #3 FF WR, if Driver either loses his job or gets reinjured. Driver is also a FA after this year, so this topic probably means more to us Dynasty league owners anyway.