[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ok Everyone I need your help

Cowboyz1

Exactly what is so crazy about either of two? Seriously what's so crazy about wanting to see more football?

1- The Giants are in your division...sorry

2- NFL is to make $ and there is $ being made. They'll do anything only if it makes them $ and it wont make them much more $. The average fan doesnt care about these tapes sorry. We at thehuddle do because lets face it, we are degenerates who have an account to post about football. The person sitting next to me doesnt care that much.

1- The Giants are in your division...sorry

2- NFL is to make $ and there is $ being made. They'll do anything only if it makes them $ and it wont make them much more $. The average fan doesnt care about these tapes sorry. We at thehuddle do because lets face it, we are degenerates who have an account to post about football. The person sitting next to me doesnt care that much.

Ok fine, how many of US are there? You say not that many, I would like to believe there are more. However, that said, it would seem by this post that those of US that would like to see it, don't care enough to ask for it or it's more fun to bash the idea then it is to flesh it out.

I hope that is not the case.

The Giants are done..........They depend heavily on a go get it reciever, and now they have none. Their D is not what it once was and Eli is no Romo. Not worried about the Giants at all.........:wacko:

So early results look like it boils down to three camps:

1. Those that love the idea and would like to see it happen

2. Those that would like to see it happen but could care less to make it happen or don't think it's possible.

3. Those that just don't care. They are happy with the status quo

DYK, that the NFL records player participation information for each team during each game...here are some cuts and pastes about it:

GSIS Player Participation

Overview

The GSIS Player Participation application consists of two digital still cameras positioned in a high location in each end zone. These cameras will be manned by operators who will take several digital photographs before the start of each play. These digital photographs will be used to identify the players on the field for each play and record them into the GSIS Player Participation application. After all of the information has been recorded for a game, the information will be uploaded to the League office where, for competitive reasons, it will remain highly secure from other clubs. Reports will be provided for each club to see its own participation information for each game.

TO: Presidents and General Managers

CC: Video Directors, IT Directors

DATE: June 30, 2005

SUBJECT: Player Participation (Playtime) Pilot Project

Last year, twenty-one Clubs participated in a highly successful pilot of the new Player Participation system.

This pilot effort enabled us to refine software, equipment and procedures to provide an effective and proven

method for 100% accurate participation data.

We are extending the pilot operation to provide a second season of parallel processing for the playtime data

transmitted to Management Council and used to value Player Contracts and accurately calculate

Performance Based Pay. This year’s pilot will include the Clubs that used the system last year plus any Club

not in last year’s pilot that is ready to join in the development of the new playtime process.

This project will provide a wide range of benefits to the NFL and the Clubs, including:

• More efficient, less time-consuming mechanism to produce and transmit playtime reports

• Consistent methodology to calculate playtime across all thirty-two Clubs

• Participation reports available for each Club by 6 AM following each game (Reports will contain player

participation data only for players on the Club’s roster for that game)

• Access to a secure website to review photographs of the games in which your Club played

Information regarding the program was presented at the Labor Seminar in December, to the Public Relations

Directors at the Business Summit, at the Video Directors’ Conference in February and the Advisory

Committee on Technology in May. Another year of review is necessary to determine its cost/benefit

relationship and opportunities in other areas of the workplace.

How does the Player Participation process work?

The Player Participation process uses digital still photography to acquire high resolution images of all

players on-field. A digital still camera and tripod is placed in a high location in each end zone and manned by

an operator. An indoor workspace located in close proximity to the stats booth is needed for two people

during the game and four people after the game. This workspace location does not require a view of the field.

This program will identify each player in each play and provide an archive of player participation.

What additional information will be provided by the Player Participation project?

Currently, the information supplied weekly by the clubs only includes the number of plays in which a player

participates, not which players are in any particular play. The player participation program however,

accurately identifies all 22 players in every play of a game. The expanded information collected in the Player

Participation program will be used by the Management Council to accurately value contracts and performance

based pay. Information regarding player participation is not shared among Clubs. Each Club will have access

to participation information for players on their roster at the time of each game. Only Management Council

has access to the full complement of participation data as they do for the existing playtime process.

What security measures are taken by the NFL to protect Player Participation information?

NFLMC Page 2 7/27/2005

All player participation information is fully encrypted using an industry-standard 128 - bit encryption process

that cannot be breached. Participation information on the recording equipment (laptop computers) at each

stadium is encrypted as the data is captured. The encrypted data is transmitted to the League office where it

remains inaccessible. To receive your Club’s player participation information or to access photographs of

your games you must supply a security code and possess a unique digital certificate that is authenticated by

the security system at the League office. Only one person at each Club has the security code, and each

security code is different.

What is required at each club to assist in the new Player Participation process?

If your Club did not participate in the pilot last season then we ask your assistance in identifying an individual

at your club who will be responsible for hiring and overseeing four local game day operators, safely storing

the equipment, identifying camera and working locations, and working with the League Office to administer

this project. We suggest this person be from your Football Operations, Public Relations, Video Directors or

Information Technology department.

What are the Player Participation project operators at the club responsible for?

A document with the job description of the operators is attached. It would be helpful if the contact person is

assigned by July 10th. Further instructions and project details will then be provided. All Player Participation

project operators report directly to the Club representative identified as responsible for the Player Participation

project.

Who will pay for this project?

The League office will be responsible for paying the operators and supplying the equipment.

When will the Player Participation project actually start?

For the 2005 season, this program will continue to run in parallel with the existing system. All Clubs in last

season’s pilot may begin operations during the pre season. A refresher training schedule will be established

with you shortly. For new teams coming into the pilot, we plan to deploy the system in a phased approach by

adding approximately 2 clubs each week over the course of the regular season. NFL employees will visit your

stadium to provide training and support the first time your club uses the new system.

We expect the program to be fully operational for the 2006 season, thereby eliminating the need for clubs to

record player playtime beyond this year.

Next Steps

In the next few days, members of the NFL Information Technology staff will personally contact each Club in

preparation for preseason operation and deployment to new Clubs joining the pilot. They will work with you to

schedule onsite system training. NFL IT will also release the 2005 Preseason Player Participation Newsletter

outlining the latest developments in the system and best practices for operation of this year’s pilot.

Final Note

All Playtime information will continue to be held by the Management Council until the end of the playing

season. At that time, playtime will be released to the Clubs in the usual way.

Please contact Peter Ruocco or Joe Manto at the League Office if you have any questions.

Thank you for your assistance as we implement this new project.

Look at the bolded...they don't share that info among clubs...you really think they will share "coaches tape" with the general public (because with coaches tape you could re-create the player participation data.

And then there is this on how the NFL feels about protecting the sensitivity of data.

Player Participation Sensitivity of Data

The NFL Competition Committee has expressed concerns regarding the sensitive nature of the Player Participation information and does not want Participation information of any club shared with any other club.

The NFL has taken many measures to protect this information from being retrieved and used by any club other than the club in which the data represents. To that end, the following safeguards have been put in place:

1. Stadium Database - The Player Participation application that is used to capture the player information on game day has been secured. The database that contains the information is encrypted in such a way that would make it virtually impossible for anyone to gain access.

2. Reports - All reports within the Player Participation application have been designed to never report all participation information about any player. For example, the “Data Verification Report” shows only those players whose play count in Offense, Defense or Special teams is 3 or less. Play counts greater than 3 are never shown. This ensures that any reports printed in the press box are incomplete and do not provide useful information to anyone.

3. Upload - As the data is uploaded to the NFL only strongly encrypted data is sent over the wire and stored on disk.

4. Club Download - When clubs retrieve their own Player Participation data from the Management Council website, the data will be downloaded in a strongly encrypted file with a separate encryption key value assigned to each club. This encryption key will be given to one person at each club.

5. Decryption - A program will be made available to decrypt the file. Only the person holding the encryption key for the club will be able to decrypt the data contained in the file.

6. Data - The data contained in the file will only contain Participation information for the club.

and lastly I would LOVE to see the NFL either incorporate coaches tape into their lineup (they do air so much stuff repeatedly that it would probably be possible to do) or even add another channel dedicated 100% to coaches tape....how to break down etc and also have every game available...but I also realize that would never happen.

there is a site profootballfocus.com that is generating player participation information but they are doing it by watching and recording information based on TV broadcasts....they were free, up until this year....the other thing is that they record penalties as snaps played and imo that severely hurts the data they are providing...as an example they show that Patrick Willis played in 1116 of 1117 snaps last year....yet the niners defense only officially played in 1050 snaps (rush attempts faced, pass attempts faced & sacks). There is a ton of information on offensive players with targets and red zone targets etc but on the defensive side of the ball there really isn't anything other than recorded stats and what profootballfocus.com is doing (which would be much, MUCH more valuable if they didn't include penalties).

I didn't say I didn't understand, however, if we don't ask we don't get. There are a lot of things we fans don't ask for. The reason for this post is to FIND a logical reason for giving us this enhanced experience. Not be Negative Nathans and blow the idea off.

Heck if we just accept what we are fed we may as well be dogs. I want meat so I am willing to persue the difficult and even impossible. How else do we get what we want in this world.

It wasn't so long ago they all told Elway he couldn't win the big one. Well now he has two rings. Good thing he didn't listen hey.............

Anyway, I will put you down in the "Don't Care" column and if and when we are successful in this endeaver, you can sit and watch what they feed you and be happy.............BBILLLYYYYYYYYYY!

I can live with that. Watching the NFL is my sport, not my vocation. I still want to enjoy it.

DYK, that the NFL records player participation information for each team during each game...here are some cuts and pastes about it:

Look at the bolded...they don't share that info among clubs...you really think they will share "coaches tape" with the general public (because with coaches tape you could re-create the player participation data.

And then there is this on how the NFL feels about protecting the sensitivity of data.

and lastly I would LOVE to see the NFL either incorporate coaches tape into their lineup (they do air so much stuff repeatedly that it would probably be possible to do) or even add another channel dedicated 100% to coaches tape....how to break down etc and also have every game available...but I also realize that would never happen.

Great info Keggers, I can see there are more issues to deal with then just watching football but this one is very informative. This is exactly why this post is nessesary. It enables us to understand the obsticales in the way of better entertainment for our buck. The more we flesh this out the more we can figure out a game plan and feesibility of achieving some of what we want at least. But we we don't ask the questions we are at the mercy of what the networks and NFL want to feed us. I personally don't like being told what I can and can't have. I guess it's an authority thing but I do know this. Funny thing is fans have much more power then we think but only by getting together and asking for reasonable concessions that make the game more enjoyable for all. I personally would love to gain more knowledge and insight into the game I love.

So now all we have to do is hack the feeds in that Endzone cam and were good.

Well, I wish you the best of luck despite my jibes. I do think you are tilting at windmills here, though.

You may be right there b support is softer then cotton, still early yet though. People generally take time to warm to a new idea especially if it sounds difficult or unlikely to happen in their imediate foresight. If the idea gets some traction then more will start to say yeah let's go for it. We will see. If you can think of anything that could help flesh this out more keep it coming, you have a good head on you shoulders for this kind of debate BB.

By the way on a bet there was a petition to ban water h2O, and over 5000 people signed it. So there has got to be a way to get support for this worthy cause

Edited by Cowboyz1

You may be right there b support is softer then cotton, still early yet though. People generally take time to warm to a new idea especially if it sounds difficult or unlikely to happen in their imediate foresight. If the idea gets some traction then more will start to say yeah let's go for it. We will see. If you can think of anything that could help flesh this out more keep it coming, you have a good head on you shoulders for this kind of debate BB.

By the way on a bet there was a petition to ban water h2O, and over 5000 people signed it. So there has got to be a way to get support for this worthy cause

start a petition asking the NFL network to add coaches game tape to their broadcast lineup.

I would recommend that you NOT say we deserve it etc but that as fans of the game that would like to learn more about the NFL we would love the opportunitiy to view it.

I will sign it.

there is a site profootballfocus.com that is generating player participation information but they are doing it by watching and recording information based on TV broadcasts....they were free, up until this year....the other thing is that they record penalties as snaps played and imo that severely hurts the data they are providing...as an example they show that Patrick Willis played in 1116 of 1117 snaps last year....yet the niners defense only officially played in 1050 snaps (rush attempts faced, pass attempts faced & sacks). There is a ton of information on offensive players with targets and red zone targets etc but on the defensive side of the ball there really isn't anything other than recorded stats and what profootballfocus.com is doing (which would be much, MUCH more valuable if they didn't include penalties).

I believe the missing plays can be attributed to false starts and penalties.

Gillette Stadium

C/O Bill Belichick

1 Patriot Place

Foxborough, MA 02035

Send a self addressed, stamped return envelope with request. He has all kinds of tapes.

The biggest problem I would see other than NFL policy is that you can't see numbers from the wide shot. Only the most die-hard know where every player lines up every play. You'd have a hard time selling the product to 99% of the fans for that reason alone. I'm with ya, but I just can't see it ever coming to fruition. The only success I ever had at getting wide tape was from friends I made during a very brief scouting career, and even that required cashing in some pretty large favors.